SeanR

Another ZX Spectrum device indiegogo fundraiser

1 hour ago, jackfrost71 said:

By the way, since a number were sent by SMS directly to backers.  Wouldn't that seriously hurt their business if they had sent out prototypes and people found out .  I mean , I can't imagine SMS risking their business like that.

SMS Won't care.  It's not their name on the product.

1 hour ago, jackfrost71 said:

But that's the question at hand.  Are these custom prototypes, or the start of production where they told SMS this was the beginning of a bigger run and order.   They finally had what was needed for a production run rather than an expensive prototype run.  Depends which you believe .  My undertadning is they only made 20 protos way back when - which had different buttons

This isnt a production run. These are the original protypes.

2 hours ago, ulala said:

clearly, anything thats remotely positive, is a shill like jan or fake.

Nah, Peter Jones is a real person and has pretty much kept his distance through the whole thing.

28 minutes ago, ulala said:

who is paying £200 for this rubbish?

its madness

Not from a collectors point of view, despite being a total disaster its one of very few Sinclair licensed products! Once its gone, its really gone :lol: Some people just have money to throw away.

22 minutes ago, redballoon said:

Nah, Peter Jones is a real person and has pretty much kept his distance through the whole thing.

This Peter Jones isn't the same Peter Jones who started spectrumcomputing.co.uk though.

• Upvote 1

I don't know anything about manufacturing costs but it's clear that the shipped units have the same faults as the test units from a year or more ago.  So no development has been done on hardware and software in recent times.  It's possible they were assembled recently using old components I guess. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MajorRob said:

This Peter Jones isn't the same Peter Jones who started spectrumcomputing.co.uk though.

In that case, he could be a made up person!

Both Peter Jones and Lynn Anderson who made those Facebook cooments have real long standing facebook accounts.  They seem to be real people and they both appear on the backer list

2 hours ago, jackfrost71 said:

But that's the question at hand.  Are these custom prototypes, or the start of production where they told SMS this was the beginning of a bigger run and order.   They finally had what was needed for a production run rather than an expensive prototype run.  Depends which you believe .  My undertadning is they only made 20 protos way back when - which had different buttons

These have all the same problems the original prototypes had that were supposedly fixed for the production. Ergo, these are the prototypes or RCL are lying about them being fixed.

40 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

With a decent D-pad and buttons (and the original game list), this thing would have been pretty serviceable. So near yet so far!

better than a DS or psp?

The NDS screen matches the speccy’s 256x192 resolution perfectly, and the touchscreen lets you have a soft keyboard. Highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

No way. But that was never really the point of the device, was it?

What exactly was the point again?

Was it to make money by relying on oldschool Sinclair fans tthat buy any old junk with an ink-jet printed label on it?

(as demonstrated by the current ebay prices)

18 minutes ago, ulala said:

What exactly was the point again?

Was it to make money by relying on oldschool Sinclair fans tthat buy any old junk with an ink-jet printed label on it?

Yeah, one big nostalgia trip. Actual 'Sinclair' branded hardware, rolling off the production line again with the blessing of Uncle Clive himself.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

The NDS screen matches the speccy’s 256x192 resolution perfectly, and the touchscreen lets you have a soft keyboard. Highly recommended. 

Agreed although I personally don't like the squidgy d-pad on the Lite, so perhaps even better on an original DS.

5 hours ago, jackfrost71 said:

Both Peter Jones and Lynn Anderson who made those Facebook cooments have real long standing facebook accounts.  They seem to be real people and they both appear on the backer list

Hmmm, still not convinced. Lynn Anderson hardly ever posts and seems the most unlikely person to know what a Spectrum is, never mind praise ‘gameplay’

Peter Jones has also put a positive review on a very critical you tube video and finishes off by criticising the ex directors.

guess we’ll never know.

Fucking shills ;) 

• Upvote 1

There's a thread for it here:

I never had a Spectrum so I have no nostalgic attachment, but I pledged £1 to the Next just because it's a much more promising project that deserves support. 

• Upvote 1

I am a c64 kid through and through but I pledged to buy one just because the project had so much passion behind it and it looked like it was being done "right"

Looks like there is now 7 Vega+'s on ebay.   

The guy counting Vega+ posts said there is now over 42 people that have posted about getting one.  He said the serial numbers he has noted range between from like 4 to 199.

There would have been nothing to stop RCL ordering another 150

units from SMS to the same spec as the original 50. Since they will have already paid the tooling and NRE costs for the initial run , they would have cheaper per unit ( in comparison to the original 50) . 

Its obvious that nothing has changed with regards to the hardware/software for some time .

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Apart from owing SMS over £200,000 and having no money left?

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

units from SMS to the same spec as the original 50. Since they will have already paid the tooling and NRE costs for the initial run , they would have cheaper per unit ( in comparison to the original 50) . 

Its obvious that nothing has changed with regards to the hardware/software for some time .

You have stuff like this going on:

http://zxvega.co.uk/levy-leaks/hd-tooling-service/

I don't think they are paying SRL properly.

28 minutes ago, MajorRob said:

Apart from owing SMS over £200,000 and having no money left?

These units that have been shipped out will cost, worst case scenario, £30 per unit to manufacture - if not less (there was leaked mails about how the original cost per unit was £45-50). As a comparison, you can get this from Aliexpress for $5-$15 per unit - shipped from China

Seeing as they've cut down the packaging to a box with some paper inserts, packing and shipping will cost maybe a fiver. 

£35x150=£5,250

Not that much, really. I'm sure RCL could get the directors to fund some of that in order to get some short term liquidity (if the leaked bank statements are correct, it really shouldn't be a problem)

Whatever, it's worked in buying them more time. Sinclair Research Ltd are now not giving a rats arse about it (but making sure they put out a statement to try and distance them from any future liabilities). More importantly, as Andrews and Melbourne have not got their way in removing Levy, it means they don't have official access to the company's accounts - meaning no official transparency in what's been done for the past two years, meaning unlikely criminal actions being taken.

It is really sad what's happened to this and what's happened to the Sinclair brand. The fact that this sorry saga has taken so long to get to this stage, Nintendo came along and made the NES Mini (and SNES Mini) and managed to completely change what the market wants from their retro systems. No, they don't what a shitty AT Games SEGA handheld with a load of games on it with terrible emulation. They want a mini version of the original system, with a nicely curated set of games, that works on modern TVs. There was no reason why RCL couldn't have made a "Spectrum Mini", preloaded with games and with HDMI output (and I'm sure that was the original plan, seeing as Andrews went off and made the C64 Mini). That would have sold shed loads.

Instead you've got Sky in all likelihood very jitterish about licensing the Sinclair/Spectrum brand again.

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 13.01.40.png

• Upvote 1