rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Return of the Obra Dinn

View all of the fates first, and name whatever you can along the way (e.g. the easy ones where somebody’s name is shouted).

Then go back through the book and look for the people with one triangle above their head, as this means you can name them fairly easily. Some of the fates are only clear after watching an earlier fate (somebody may have been injured, but died later on).

Use the bookmarks and carefully study every fate somebody has appeared in, and pay close attention to the surroundings. Some are easily named by the environment - what they’re doing, who they’re with, or even where they’re sleeping or working.

The drawing is useful as people who do the same job tend to stand together or wear the same uniform. It’s like one of those codeword puzzles. Get the easy ones first and the rest will slowly fall into place.

Use the ‘match 3’ thing to your advantage. I’ve been sure about two people, but sketchy on the third beyond what job they did - I just went through a few different possibilities until they all matched together.

It’s my GOTY.

3 hours ago, kempstar said:

Thanks. How do you use the bookmarks?

Select a face on the crew drawing, then bookmark memories. It’ll add a bookmark in the book for each memory that person appears in, and it’s vital for identifying some of them :)

I've kept chipping away at this, but enough is enough. On paper it should be right up my alley and I love the aesthetic, but it doesn't sustain my interest. I'm going to watch a playthrough at some point and enjoy it vicariously.

Glad to have bought and supported it though. Pope seems to always do the interesting, and if it hasn't clicked on this occasion then that's part of living off the beaten path.

5 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I've kept chipping away at this, but enough is enough. On paper it should be right up my alley and I love the aesthetic, but it doesn't sustain my interest. I'm going to watch a playthrough at some point and enjoy it vicariously.

Glad to have bought and supported it though. Pope seems to always do the interesting, and if it hasn't clicked on this occasion then that's part of living off the beaten path.

Pretty much exactly the same as me.

57 minutes ago, kempstar said:

When you say view all the fates, do you mean each chapter, or view the 60 or so in total first??

View as many as you can first (it won’t be 60, but not far off), as you’ll generally need to cross-reference them to make matches.

I think I have regrettably decided it is not for me. Its a beautiful game with an incredible atmosphere, but ive spent nearly four hours not really achieving anything. My gaming time is too much at a premium these days unfortunately!

Had one last crack at this and made the breakthrough. Am now sleuthing like a sleuth. Spent twenty minutes with a playthrough on YouTube and got a feel for the pace it was being taken at, which made a big difference.

Big problem. Please advise.

Spoiler

I'm at Soldiers of the Sea, part 3. All fine and dandy, but when it concludes it doesn't do the normal pocket watch sends trail of light onto next death. Instead there's just a portal that takes me back to wandering about the ship. I've no idea how to access Soldiers of the Sea, part 2 and onwards. Any ideas?

18 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Big problem. Please advise.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm at Soldiers of the Sea, part 3. All fine and dandy, but when it concludes it doesn't do the normal pocket watch sends trail of light onto next death. Instead there's just a portal that takes me back to wandering about the ship. I've no idea how to access Soldiers of the Sea, part 2 and onwards. Any ideas?

Anyone? Google ain't helping and my evening rests on this.

1 minute ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Anyone? Google ain't helping and my evening rests on this.

Not sure. The body for this is on the top deck though.

19 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Not sure. The body for this is on the top deck though.

Cheers. It won't be there if I can't access the appropriate Part though. I'd think this a bug if it wasn't for the portal being present. Can't for the life of me work it out.

I also had one last crack and it seems to be clicking now! I am still finding it very difficult, but I have managed to identify 12 fates. It really is so wonderfully atmospheric.

I have now got 41 fates determined and my god this is incredible. Easily a game of the year contender. 

It is one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. It is incredible how lifelike the characters are and how much emotion you can feel for them, when you only see them in monchrome freeze frames and hear them say barely a few sentences each.

It is baffling how a single person could design this so perfectly. It is so clever, all the strands of the story fit together so well. It is difficult but completely achievable if you just look closely and persevere. 

There are very few things as satisfying in gaming as solving three fates and seeing “Well done” in black and white on the screen, accompanied by the most beautiful tone ever.

I am going back to get the rest :)

• Upvote 4

I finished it!

What a captivating, mesmerising, incredible, and completely original experience. I honestly dont think could praise this game enough!

I had to brute force a few of the last fates - for example, I was certain who the remaining three seaman were, and I was certain how they all died, but I just didnt know which one was which! I also had to use a guide to identify the Chinese topmen. 

Yesterday I read through two really good walkthroughs, as I wanted to make sure I hadnt missed anything. The first walkthrough was laid out like a story, so it went through each scene, from the start (in the right chronological order), and it just told you who killed who as each murder occurred. It was really good to read it almost like a book, as the story made more sense that way. Regarding "Escape"-

Spoiler

I didnt quite follow this in the game, I wasnt sure if they were all escaping together, and the non-Formosans were going to be chucked in the sea, having been double-crossed by everyone else. I am sure that is wrong now, because the Formosans were tied up for the whole journey. The theory in the walkthrough was that it was going to be a robbery, to steal the shells, but it was not sure whether it was planned before the voyage or not.

The second walkthrough was different in that it explained how you were "supposed" to figure out each death, so it went through everything backwards (like in the game). This was also great, as it confirmed that for a few of the deaths, there are several ways of solving them. Interestingly, there are a few deaths that can have multiple explanations, and some are actually very different, such as-

Gunner

Spoiler

Can either be "exploded" or "shot with a cannon by a beast"! The person who dies at the same time can be "fell overboard" or "shot with a cannon by a "beast". I went with fell overboard, because he is in the scene before, then he is nowhere to be seen in the next one!

Gunner

Spoiler

You can also do "shot with a cannon by" and I can't remember his name, but the guy who lit the fuse in the previous diorama. Even though it wasn't his fault, it works, and his estate is punished for it at the end.

• Upvote 2

I finished last night. The one that did my head in most of all was:

Spoiler

The guy who seemed spiked but was actually killed by friendly fire.

Great game and, watching the other ('bad') ending on the phone today, I wonder whether a phone version would be a goer?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I finished last night. The one that did my head in most of all was:

Hide contents

The guy who seemed spiked but was actually killed by friendly fire.

Great game and, watching the other ('bad') ending on the phone today, I wonder whether a phone version would be a goer?

I actually didnt find that one too bad.

Spoiler

I could see he had been shot, and if you peek through into the main part of the ship, you could see the muzzle flash from someones gun, facing you. Too far to right click on, but easy enough to check against who was in that scene.

27 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Gunner

Hide contents

You can also do "shot with a cannon by" and I can't remember his name, but the guy who lit the fuse in the previous diorama. Even though it wasn't his fault, it works, and his estate is punished for it at the end.

:lol:

20 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I actually didnt find that one too bad.

Hide contents

I could see he had been shot, and if you peek through into the main part of the ship, you could see the muzzle flash from someones gun, facing you. Too far to right click on, but easy enough to check against who was in that scene.

Yeah I was OK with it in the end, but was convinced he'd been spiked so...daft brain.

It was great to see it do so well in the Edge awards too, it was nominated in several categories.

The music from Soldiers of the Sea is so amazing :wub:

On 09/01/2019 at 17:01, kempstar said:

I also think the ... are an absolutely wonderful design ... or was it just coincidence?

Could you spoiler all that, I've evidently not got that far through and there's certainly barely any hint of anything like that in the first few chapters you play. Unless you're just taking the piss, it sounds so odd from what I've seen so far I can scarcely believe that where it goes to be honest!

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

It’s autumn now.

Not yet it isn’t. 23rd September is the first day of Autumn.