New Wipeout from Ex Wipeout Devs...Sort Of

bradigor

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/09/23/ex-wipeout-devs-bring-formula-fusion-to-pc-ps4-and-xbox-one/

For reasons known only to Sony, Wipeout developers Studio Liverpool were closed before the PlayStation 4 launch and any hope of a Wipeout game for the new console vanished.

Sony’s loss is Microsoft’s gain as some of the developers from the defunct studio reformed as R8Games and they have released some rough footage of their new PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 racing game.

It features hovering vehicles which zip around on neon infused tracks whilst pumping dance music written by “cool urban artists” pound out of the speakers. Why does that sound familiar?

“We have a few interesting spins on the core concept and we are pulling it back a little in terms of the Sci-fi ness of the art. To try and make it more RAW and Craft based – similar to the tech/teams in F1 – rather than loosing it’s charm by dressing it up with generic far future style,” explained R8Games.

You may note the trailer calls the game Slamjet Racing, that was changed to rather more dull but more descriptive Formula Fusion as of yesterday.

“We have a few interesting spins on the core concept and we are pulling it back a little in terms of the Sci-fi ness of the art. To try and make it more RAW and Craft based – similar to the tech/teams in F1 – rather than loosing it’s charm by dressing it up with generic far future style,” explained R8Games."

​New WipEout type game is very exciting but this sentence has me worried a bit….. i actually quite like the WipEouts games's generic far future style and F1 is, imo, the most boring racing league there is.

If the Wipeout devs weren't involved it would be impossible to come away from that vid thinking anything other than uninteresting, slow, outdated-looking Wipeout clone.

That's not to say the game won't be good, just that the video doesn't help with the hype.

Really would like a decent Wipeout-alike. So this has me interested. That 3rd person view of the handling though - ergh! The craft seem to jerkily pivot as they turn, and they neither drift or bank round the corners convincingly. Hopefully that will be fixed before release...

I don't think the racing footage in that trailer did them any favours. They should have just done it as a teaser, with the pre-rendered starting grid stuff, and something saying "From the developers of Wipeout". That would have done the job.

Still, a Wipeout-alike on next-gen consoles! Positively frothing at the idea.

The trailer got slammed in the comments in the OP's link, the dev responded:

Guys – this is Pre-Production footage! We don’t have the cash right now to blow lots on the teaser, It was created to engage with Wipeout fans as a means to prompt feedback on the community sites. We have listened to the fans disappointment over the lack of any plans to do anything for next gen and we have decided to make something we believe will breathe new life into the genre, and give us freedom to exploit platforms that were previously not considered because of exclusivity.

It’s perhaps a little early to show things, based on your comments, but we will continue to be open during the development process – even if you don’t get the direction in the pre-viz footage right now – we will work hard so you do.

We look forward to providing an open window on a development that we are sure will bring joy to many :)

I'm prepared to scavenge whatever crumbs fall from the Wipeout table, hope this delivers.

It looks about as close to a carbon copy of Wipeout Fusion as you can get without breaching copyright. I totally get that it's early footage to excite the fan base, but I hope they've got bigger ambitions than what's on show here, as conceptually it looks no further ahead than the PSone era games.

Give me 2097 remastered already!

Wipeout 2097 is my favourite racing game ever so I was hyped but then that video...

Same here, really. 2097 is still my favourite too. It just got everything right for me, the handling, the tracks, the speed progression, the challenge... everything.

I did enjoy HD but, I'm not sure how to articulate it best... HD just didn't capture that you vs the track feel, or at least it did until I started going after the elite medals.

Funnily enough the only game I've played since 2097 that gave me anywhere near the same feeling was Quantum Redshift, which I believe was also made by a team who worked on the original Wipeouts. The only thing that dragged that game down was cheating opponent syndrome and needing to unlock 500 fucking pilots in order to progress to the highest speed class.

Flying around the tracks in the Qirex without touching the sides, getting faster and faster and faster = pure adrenaline rush that no other game has ever matched. My eyes used to hurt after a good session as you couldn't even blink once you got going.

Handling looks more like Mega Race 2 than Wipeout. Also, visuals lack the proper sense of scale and place that Wipeout always had. I've gone from massively excited to indifferent in a very short period of time here...

Wipeout as a series really was something special.

Yeah, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt as it is such an early trailer, but it's very worrying that it seems to be making the same mistake that so many other also-rans do: that one of the key qualities of the Wipeout games is their aesthetic. That is to say, the Wipeout games succeed because they absolutely nail their visuals and sound; the environments and interface create the sense of a glamorous, afflicted corporate-run future in which the excess and thrill-seeking of the Wipeout leagues are a natural by-product; the ship designs, music, logos and sense of speed all sell the thrill of the sport itself and make it so joyous.

Quantum Redshift is a case in point of the importance of that - it was a really solid racing game, but it had no real character to it, and felt empty because of it. Only really the F-Zero games (particularly GX) ever seemed to approach Wipeout in terms of creating an interesting, coherent world* for the racing to take place in, while also giving the sense of speed and thrilling environmental design that makes the races interesting outside of the actual physics and track layouts.**

*or galaxy, to be more accurate

**actually, I'd also say that the Star Wars Pod Racer game nailed both of those aspects too, but was let down on the mechanical side of things - it was an okay racer, but not up there with F-Zero or Wipeout. Now, combine Star Wars racer's built-in backstory and interesting levels with Quantum Redshift [or the sadly forgotten Powerdrome]'s mechanical prowess and you'd have a hell of a game.

I've always wanted Wipeout to be a bit more adventurous. Maybe abandon tracks for jungle, desert or wide F-zero tracks once in a while. They've refined it to near perfection but being free of the franchise that's what I'd want from this game. Trouble is it looks like a backward rather than forward step.

F-Zero controls with Wipeout graphics and I'd be sold. I always found the Wipeout controls too floaty and sensitive for my liking. Plus the weapon system never made sense. Why did the PA always announce other peoples weapons and not what you collect, I always got confused about that!