Point-and-click adventures: deals, recommendations, news

Billy Brown

I'm going to mention an indie game on Steam called J.U.L.I.A: Among the Stars, which I believe is a remake of an older game which I've never heard of. I think the developer is Czech. It's clearly been made on a very, very low budget (although quite pretty for that) and has a crap name but, is a surprisingly good adventure game. So far I have found that it's a wee bit weighed down by a few naff puzzles which took me out of the game somewhat (a repeated pipe-mania-esque minigame in particular), but the star here is the atmosphere, world-building and story. It's really good and not the juvenile kind of sci-fi which plagues video games. The writing is very slightly off at points, as you might expect from someone writing in their second language, but not to any really noticeable detriment. Very interesting and thought-provoking sci-fi stuff in the form of a point and click adventure. Makes me wonder why there aren't more serious scifi adventure games, a perfect combination.

It looks a bit like a hidden object game thanks to the mostly still (pre-rendered?) scenes, but it isn't.

£15 is certainly too steep, worth waiting for an inevitable massive discount in sales if you aren't gagging for a game like this just now (as I was).

• 3 years later...

I stumbled across this thread earlier and though it might be worth bumping to generate any interest. I'd been searching for threads containing information on the game Book of Unwritten Tales 2, as I've just last night started it up on my PS3, given that Sony has put it out on January's 2018 PS+ giveaways. The problem with this thread is that it doesn't come up in the search under point and click due to the hyphenated title, and every other thread with point and click in the heading is much older. 

With the likes of Yorkshire Gubbins being made aware of, now could be a time to add some interesting things to this thread. 

Spent a few hours with TBoUT 2 and enjoying it all so far. Looks pretty slick, has given me a few laughs here and there and flows quite well, and also reminds me of Kings Quest in theme without taking itself seriously at any point.  I would have preferred to play it via a hovering cursor though, although I'm on the PS4 title so I'm not sure if this is any different with the PC version. By having objects flash up when you get close to them kind of takes away that oldskool pixel hunt which I used to like for the challenge of it all. Broken Sword 2 had me stuck for months in that first room thanks to a tiny annoying little shitty drawer to find the front door key or something.

There's a tasty point n click bundle on Indiegala. Some great titles including Gabriel Night, most recent (?) Deponia and Journey Down 2 plus the interesting looking Silence and more.

https://www.indiegala.com/point-and-click-definitive-bundle?utm_source=HomeSlider&utm_medium=HomeSlider_PointAndClickBundle_20180110&utm_campaign=PointAndClickBundle_20180110

• 2 years later...

I recently played through the Monkey Island 2 remake, and Curse of Monkey Island, and I've got the itch again. And I'm looking for undiscovered recommendations.

I know that Point and Click has, to an extent been superseded by more tactile, Myst-ish first-person games like The Room, Faraway, Agent A etc. Or, for some, the Telltale games. But I'm looking for full-on, traditional style Point & Click games from say.... the last decade. Extra points if they have the humour of a Lucasarts or a Revolution game.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Ben There, Dan That, and Time Gentlemen Please as I didn't enjoy the core game mechanics, though they are well written. I've played Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park too.

Can anyone speak for any of these? 

Lair of the Clockwork God

The Journey Down

VirtuaVerse

The Darkside Detective

Karma Incarnation 1

The Uncertain

The Inner World

The Low Road

Masochisia

Memoranda

Or anything else... I know I could just read Steam reviews. But where's the fun in that?

I'm playing Virtuaverse and it's made me very aware of how stupid I am and how much I've come to rely on games holding my hand. It's not obtuse like Discworld was, it just expects you to not be a moron. So yeah I think I'm liking it. If nothing else it looks and sounds fantastic.

Any good recommendations for Android ?

I love point n clickers on the touch format, perfect bedtime gaming which is the only real chance I get to play games these days. 

I've done (and loved) Thimbleweed Park, and the Broken Sword games. 

Just noticed I asked this exact same question 6 years ago! Interested to see if there's been anything I've missed since then. 

Bit disappointing to think that Thimbleweed Park is actually the only really good one I think I've played since then. When touchscreen gaming became a thing, I remember hoping it would lead to a resurgence of point n click because it's so well suited. There seem to be a fair few of them coming out on Steam but they don't often make the jump to mobile which is a shame. 

• 7 months later...

Anyone heard much about ENCODYA?

It sounds like it could be right up my street. But has also reminded me that I haven't got Beyond a Steel Sky yet...

Neo Berlin 2062. Tina – a nine-year-old orphan – lives with SAM-53 – her big clumsy robot guardian –in a rooftop makeshift shelter in Neo-Berlin, a dark megalopolis controlled by corporations. Tina is an urban jungle kid, who has learned to live alone, scavenging from city dumpsters and eking out a living from scraps. Her funny robot is always with her, programmed to protect her no matter what.

One day, the little girl discovers that her father left her an important mission: to finish his plan to save the world from grayness! Tina and SAM embark on an incredible adventure across different realities full of bizarre robotic creatures and grotesque human beings. Through puzzles and exciting dialogues, they’ll find out the true meaning of being alive.

• 4 weeks later...

I played The Cat Lady years ago and it had a big impact on me. I've just started the prequel, Downfall Redux. The games might be a bit low-budget, but in terms of psychological impact they're right up the list.

I'm excited to find out the story, knowing what happens to Ivy at the end of The Cat Lady :unsure:

Classic game. I got sick on the butt with the myna bird for so long, I might have to buy it just to see if I can remember how to do it...

Someone mentioned beyond a steel sky, did it turn out any good? It all went a bit quiet as far as I noticed so I'm assuming it didn't do very well. I'll have a Google but I'd be interested to hear if anyone tried it here?