Goose

The Predator (2018) - Written by Shane Black & Fred Dekker

On 08/09/2018 at 08:46, PopeSmokesDope said:

Its den of geek, not a “they didn’t know why people were shocked at their photo” site

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/the-predator/60264/the-predator-review-the-hunt-is-over

pretty damning....

I might have been exaggerating about the "raping your childhood memories", but it's barely more than an ad serving list site, using click bait to get those visitors in.

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 20.29.58.png

On 31/08/2018 at 15:11, VN1X said:

That looks fucking awful and seemingly doesn't get what made the original such a classic film *sigh*. But by all means, cram more CGI and bombastic nonsensical action scenes in there to distract from the awful writing and characterization. 

I'll still see it of course in the hope that these are all just poor trailers, designed to bring in the mass audiences, and that the actual film might actually be somewhat decent. 

Also BLOPS4 did that song better justice lol.

Somewhat fitting they went with "john connor" for an eighties franchise revival. 

Edited by The Eagle Lord
decided to stop being casual with my use of "raping"

Given all the unfavourable reviews, I’m more confused than ever regarding Black’s involvement in this. Has his talent fallen off a cliff in the past few years? Was he desperate for cash and they just wanted his name? Did he owe someone a favour? It seems that there’s none of his trademark sharp dialogue or quiet subversion of tropes. In fact, it sounds like the film should come with a trope bingo card. 

On 10/09/2018 at 09:07, Garibaldi said:

Given all the unfavourable reviews, I’m more confused than ever regarding Black’s involvement in this. Has his talent fallen off a cliff in the past few years? Was he desperate for cash and they just wanted his name? Did he owe someone a favour? It seems that there’s none of his trademark sharp dialogue or quiet subversion of tropes. In fact, it sounds like the film should come with a trope bingo card. 

It's subverting the trope of subverting tropes by having ALL of them.

On 10/09/2018 at 08:56, ZOK said:

That review reads like it was written by a ten year old.

"I didn’t look they looked moist enough"

These two reactions appeared together in my Twitter feed:

Screenshot_20180911-133554.thumb.png.b1061f2de135f4181d1b63c85b42b437.png

Haven't read Collin's review because it's Telegraph registration-walled.

Scott Wampler did elaborate a little in the replies:

Spoiler

was reading a review where they didn't even bother trying to warn of spoilers and what they say about the finale makes me screen seriously WFH!

Major Spoilers to below for those who really still care:

Spoiler

According the review - the whole premise is that the renegade predator has come to earth to give us humans a weapon to help in the up coming predator invasion of earth (or something like that) hence why super duper steroid  predator is after him - the secret weapon a predator style "iron man" suit with dreadlocks etc.... 

Reviews of this are curiously all over the place, sounds really inane though.

Shane Black definitely isn't a mark of assured quality anymore, I thought Iron Man 3 was one of the worst Marvel films so far and didn't really enjoy Nice Guys.

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Reviews of this are curiously all over the place, sounds really inane though.

Shane Black definitely isn't a mark of assured quality anymore, I thought Iron Man 3 was one of the worst Marvel films so far and didn't really enjoy Nice Guys.

I watched Iron Man 3 last night, I remember really quite enjoying it in the cinema but I didn’t even titter this time around, in fairness it was a warning of the way things were heading - as much as I liked the plot about anxiety crippling him once you know the Mandarin twist it makes repeat viewing utterly pointless. Still don’t think it’s any worse than what came after. 

Tempted to go see Predator tonight but sole ticket option here in a derby is directors hall 3D at £18. Fuck that.

Low (low low low low) expectations for this. Came out feeling extremely entertained! I don't know quite what else to say, but I do like a bit of a Shane Black and I'll happily watch it again when it comes to DVD/Digital!

• Upvote 1

Went to see this last night and you know what, it's sort of alright. There are 2 thirds of a good film here and it's only really last down in the final third where it started to jump about a bit and kind of lost it's way. It seems like 2 ideas competing in the one film...but it's worth a watch if you are a fan.

9 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Let’s be honest, it was pretty much Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in different shoes. 

That’s hardly a bad thing 

it’s what he does - The Long Kiss Goodnight being another that tweaks a winning template 

10 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Let’s be honest, it was pretty much Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in different shoes. 

Yeah, and Fargo is just a reskinned Blood Simple. 

If he could do one of those a year I'd be like a pig in shit.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RK1D said:

Went to see this last night and you know what, it's sort of alright. There are 2 thirds of a good film here and it's only really last down in the final third where it started to jump about a bit and kind of lost it's way. It seems like 2 ideas competing in the one film...but it's worth a watch if you are a fan.

I enjoyed this, it stupid and cheesy but in the right way.

The editing is all over the place though.

On 10/09/2018 at 00:42, jonamok said:

Can we all stop throwing 'raping' around so casually?

Sorry, this is completely off track, but I've always thought of that use of the word in the 'rape and pillage' sense rather than the sexual assault meaning.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180913-195656.thumb.png.1423b90968631606fe44d57a8250b13b.png

21 hours ago, Ran said:

Low (low low low low) expectations for this. Came out feeling extremely entertained! I don't know quite what else to say, but I do like a bit of a Shane Black and I'll happily watch it again when it comes to DVD/Digital!

Saw it tonight and feel exactly the same, thoroughly entertained throughout. 

Just come back from seeing it myself. Also thought it was very entertaining, although

I completely agree the first two acts are miles better than the third. And some of the CGI was fucking woeful.

7 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Just come back from seeing it myself. Also thought it was very entertaining, although

Hide contents

I completely agree the first two acts are miles better than the third. And some of the CGI was fucking woeful.

absolutely. Especially the big dude walking around towards the end, even games are way better than that. And the dogs ... jaysus

i wasn’t entertained sadly, I thought it was diabolical, and I say that as an autistic adult so not even bribed by knowing I’m the next step in human evolution (slightly tempered by fact I have never ever EVER wanted kids)

• Upvote 1

watched this as well as as most have said first 2/3 werent to bad - it kinda goes down hill the final bit  BUT it could have been a lot lot worse the way the original movie ended before teh reshoots (Parts of which can be seen in the first trailer - such as the loonies being chased in day light while on an apc)

Spoiler

originally the loonies would have teamed up with another bunch of predators who had previously been captured and were working with the humans at another secret installation.  The predators and the humans would have tired to take down the super pred - the predators also wore army fatigues (there are pleanty of pics from the filming that shows the preds in army fatigues riding / driving APC's)   the super pred also had a collection of various  hybrid predators ala alien resurection aboard his ship  that we would let loose on mckenna's men in teh final act..

i enjoyed it alot more than i thought i would though the last act didnt stink of hurried rewrite  and had a generic ending (im a huge predator fan have a large collection of figures, comics etc... in my man cave  here)

Also....

Spoiler

what the fuck with the Iron Man  / Predator suit at the end - serioulsy

Wouldn’t normally be the one to say this kind of thing but half way through I was wishing they’d just copied some of the story lines from the Dark Horse comicbooks

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, linkster said:

Wouldn’t normally be the one to say this kind of thing but half way through I was wishing they’d just copied some of the story lines from the Dark Horse comicbooks

i had the same conversation with a mate this morning - i would love a big screen version of cold war  - concreate jungle would have been good but since pred 2 ripped a lot of it off prob be to samey 

Saw this last night and I thought it was pretty good. 

Felt like the ending was kind of pasted into the movie felt out of place.

Could've shaved off alot of it as I felt it dragged in places.

The comedy which I was really worried about was pretty good. 

Did anyone else find it a touch surprising that the scientist lady was extremely adept with a gun? Some of the moves she pulled in the action scenes were better than the supposedly trained soldiers....