Goose

The Predator (2018) - Written by Shane Black & Fred Dekker

Where the hell did this one come from?

The Hollywood Reporter today brings word that Iron Man 3 and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Shane Black will write and direct a Predator reboot for 20th Century Fox!

According to the trade, Black is directing and writing the treatment for the film, which will then be scripted in full by Fred Dekker (with whom Black worked on Monster Squad).

Black has had a long history with the Predator franchise, having cameoed in the 1987 original. Directed by John McTiernan, Predator starred Arnold Schwarzenegger as the leader of a United States special forces team that comes under attack from an alien entity that prizes the thrill of the hunt above all else. It was followed by a direct sequel, Predator 2, in 1990 before crossing over with Fox's Alien franchise for two additional sequels, Alien vs. Predator and AvP: Requiem. In 2010, Nimrod Antal helmed a reboot with a new feature, Predators.

There's no word on the extent to which the new film will tie into the existing franchise, nor is there any confirmation as to when this reboot might fit into Black's schedule. He's planning to shoot The Nice Guys from his own original screenplay as early as this fall and remains attached to Columbia Pictures' Doc Savage. Check back for further details as they become available.

John Davis is attached to produce with Matt Reilly overseeing for Fox and Ira Napoliello overseeing for Davis Entertainment.

Cautiously optimistic, I have a lot of time for Black & Dekker.

Edit: This post might look like an attempt at a humorous play on the name of power tool manufacturer "Black & Decker" but it isn't. It wouldn't even make sense, unless they made clocks. Sorry for any confusion.

• Upvote 5

Shane Black. All I need to know. The Last Boy Scout remains one of my favourite action movies and Iron Man 3 is the best Marvel movie to date in my opinion.

• Upvote 7

Proposed cast:

Dutch - Manu Bennett

Dillon - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje

Blaine - Josh Brolin

Mac - Daniels from The Wire

Billy - Ryan Gosling

Anna - Christina Hendricks

Pancho - Michael Fassbender

Hawkins - Robert Downey Jr

The Predator - Andy Serkis

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Such a shame they still can't get Predator right. Every film after the first one has been shit. :(

I thought the sequel was ok. Nothing amazing but decent with a interesting vibe and tone. Certainly better as a continuation than say Alien 3.

Plus Bill Paxton. :)

Ah yeah the sequel in the 'urban jungle' wasn't too bad but certainly lacked iconic characters.

You know what made the first one even more memorable for me? It's because at the time (I was born one month after it had originally been released! Must've been age 14 when I did finally saw it) I thought it was just another Schwarzenegger action film (which I absolutely lapped up when I was younger). But then all of a sudden the motherfucking Predator shows up and flips the script completely! I was simply gobsmacked. The same thing happened with From Dusk Till Dawn for me and it too holds a special place in my heart. :D

• Upvote 1

I'd hardly call having a small role in the original "a long history with the franchise". Still, Black has made some decent films so it could be worse, although if I was going to have anyone make a proper Predator film it'd be Neil Marshall.

Don't hold your breath for this one. Black has just confirmed that The Nice Guys will be his next writing/directing effort. Russel Crowe and Ryan Gosling have just been cast in the 70s set noir drama comedy.

(Did we already know this?)

That sounds about a million times better than a Predator sequel. I mean, surely the predator is pretty much completely played out as a sci-fi beast monster thing? They pretty much did everything interesting you can do with the idea in the first film; it’s just a warrior alien huntsman with rasta hair, a funny mouth, and some pretty cool weaponry. There’s not really anywhere else to take it after Predator.

The alien from the Alien films has a sense of mystery and a genuine air of scariness about it, and some of the sequels managed to wring some new twists from the concept, but really – who gives a monkeys about predators?