Jump to content
strider

The Great British Bird Hunt

Recommended Posts

Nice update, that Peregrine sighting just shows you how valuable it is to raise your neck up, time to time. Some of the best birds I had at my old inner city patch up in Merseyside (Osprey, Hobby) were flyovers that I just happened to be looking up at the correct time. Makes you wonder what else you miss out on!

 

Jealous at your Swift sightings, haven't seen one yet (although have seen the other three hirundines).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jamin said:

Nice update, that Peregrine sighting just shows you how valuable it is to raise your neck up, time to time. Some of the best birds I had at my old inner city patch up in Merseyside (Osprey, Hobby) were flyovers that I just happened to be looking up at the correct time. Makes you wonder what else you miss out on!

 

Jealous at your Swift sightings, haven't seen one yet (although have seen the other three hirundines).

Agreed. I was walking home the other day through town, looked up and saw three herons getting mugged by herring gulls. Amazing what you can see when you look skywards.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have just added a comment to your lovely black terns. I'll try to remember to keep commenting in future. I've got an awful memory, which means I check in on this part of the forum less often than I'd like, but I do always love catching up on your blog when I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Have just added a comment to your lovely black terns. I'll try to remember to keep commenting in future. I've got an awful memory, which means I check in on this part of the forum less often than I'd like, but I do always love catching up on your blog when I do. 

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I try and update it every Sunday when I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2017 at 13:01, PopeSmokesDope said:

Are there many Kingfishers at Blashford at the moment? Have they had their young yet?

I've not been there for weeks, but I'd imagine it's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work @strider I'd imagine the Wood Warbler is a good sighting for Langham? Considering they're a scarce breeding bird and only likely to catch one on migration.

 

I've just been lucky enough to come across a camera myself so hoping to post some wildlife photographs in the coming months too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Nice work @strider I'd imagine the Wood Warbler is a good sighting for Langham? Considering they're a scarce breeding bird and only likely to catch one on migration.

 

I've just been lucky enough to come across a camera myself so hoping to post some wildlife photographs in the coming months too.

Thanks. I've been getting little chance to visit, so have been trying to drag myself out when rarish birds like the Ruff and Greenshank have been spotted. Looking forward to your images :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd share a couple from a recent holiday.

I watched this guy fish for ages at a weir just outside the town gates.

21551757_669040692741_408733594023412626

 

And sat on the side of the canal watching this one dive and scare coots.

21458102_669040872381_367242279498648585

 

This is a terrible shot, but they were very wary of people and hid if we peered over the edge of the canal.

 

21457768_669040009111_154461426233037381

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hellcock said:

@strider - have you seen the movie a big year?

 

I think you will absolutely love it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/

 

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it

Thanks for thinking of me :)

I do indeed own it. There's a book as well which the film is loosely based on (all the characters are based on those in the novel) is a little short but well worth reading. It always amazes me the lengths people will go to in order to be the best at something. Big Years are particularly interesting as well as it's all done on faith.

I think Sandy Komito still has the record in America, mainly because there are no more chartered flights to Atu which is needed in order to get all the rare migrants etc.

It's an enjoyable movie. I'm glad you liked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! I'll download the book.

 

You may not think it, but I was a very keen birdwatcher growing up! Absolutely loved it and it's been rekindled with me moving to a more rural tropical area of Singapore and some recent trips to sri lanka.

 

Observed from the comfort of a swimming pool deep in the jungle of Sri Lanka some beautiful kingfishers, woodpeckers and Asian flycatchers cleaning themselves in the surrounding ponds. You'd love the place. An abundance of wildlife and birds.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hellcock said:

Nice! I'll download the book.

 

You may not think it, but I was a very keen birdwatcher growing up! Absolutely loved it and it's been rekindled with me moving to a more rural tropical area of Singapore and some recent trips to sri lanka.

 

Observed from the comfort of a swimming pool deep in the jungle of Sri Lanka some beautiful kingfishers, woodpeckers and Asian flycatchers cleaning themselves in the surrounding ponds. You'd love the place. An abundance of wildlife and birds.

Sounds fantastic.

The book is a really good read. There's another one from a few years back by a husband and wife team who attempted to break the world record instead. I've also got another book about the obsession of birders in the very early days (being eaten by tigers or involved in car crashes after chasing a rare twitch) but I can't remember the names of either. I'll look tonight and get back to you.

 

Also, if it's still on netflix there's a good film called Confessions of a teenage birder which features ben kingsley and has a group of kids chasing after a long-thought extinct duck that one of them sees.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.