strider

The Great British Bird Hunt

Nice update, that Peregrine sighting just shows you how valuable it is to raise your neck up, time to time. Some of the best birds I had at my old inner city patch up in Merseyside (Osprey, Hobby) were flyovers that I just happened to be looking up at the correct time. Makes you wonder what else you miss out on!

Jealous at your Swift sightings, haven't seen one yet (although have seen the other three hirundines).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jamin said:

Nice update, that Peregrine sighting just shows you how valuable it is to raise your neck up, time to time. Some of the best birds I had at my old inner city patch up in Merseyside (Osprey, Hobby) were flyovers that I just happened to be looking up at the correct time. Makes you wonder what else you miss out on!

Jealous at your Swift sightings, haven't seen one yet (although have seen the other three hirundines).

Agreed. I was walking home the other day through town, looked up and saw three herons getting mugged by herring gulls. Amazing what you can see when you look skywards.

• Upvote 1

Have just added a comment to your lovely black terns. I'll try to remember to keep commenting in future. I've got an awful memory, which means I check in on this part of the forum less often than I'd like, but I do always love catching up on your blog when I do. 

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Have just added a comment to your lovely black terns. I'll try to remember to keep commenting in future. I've got an awful memory, which means I check in on this part of the forum less often than I'd like, but I do always love catching up on your blog when I do. 

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I try and update it every Sunday when I remember.

On 05/06/2017 at 13:01, PopeSmokesDope said:

Are there many Kingfishers at Blashford at the moment? Have they had their young yet?

I've not been there for weeks, but I'd imagine it's possible.

Nice work @strider I'd imagine the Wood Warbler is a good sighting for Langham? Considering they're a scarce breeding bird and only likely to catch one on migration.

I've just been lucky enough to come across a camera myself so hoping to post some wildlife photographs in the coming months too.

49 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Nice work @strider I'd imagine the Wood Warbler is a good sighting for Langham? Considering they're a scarce breeding bird and only likely to catch one on migration.

I've just been lucky enough to come across a camera myself so hoping to post some wildlife photographs in the coming months too.

Thanks. I've been getting little chance to visit, so have been trying to drag myself out when rarish birds like the Ruff and Greenshank have been spotted. Looking forward to your images :)

Thought I'd share a couple from a recent holiday.

I watched this guy fish for ages at a weir just outside the town gates.

21551757_669040692741_408733594023412626

And sat on the side of the canal watching this one dive and scare coots.

21458102_669040872381_367242279498648585

This is a terrible shot, but they were very wary of people and hid if we peered over the edge of the canal.

21457768_669040009111_154461426233037381

3 hours ago, Hellcock said:

@strider - have you seen the movie a big year?

I think you will absolutely love it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/

Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it

Thanks for thinking of me :)

I do indeed own it. There's a book as well which the film is loosely based on (all the characters are based on those in the novel) is a little short but well worth reading. It always amazes me the lengths people will go to in order to be the best at something. Big Years are particularly interesting as well as it's all done on faith.

I think Sandy Komito still has the record in America, mainly because there are no more chartered flights to Atu which is needed in order to get all the rare migrants etc.

It's an enjoyable movie. I'm glad you liked it.

Nice! I'll download the book.

You may not think it, but I was a very keen birdwatcher growing up! Absolutely loved it and it's been rekindled with me moving to a more rural tropical area of Singapore and some recent trips to sri lanka.

Observed from the comfort of a swimming pool deep in the jungle of Sri Lanka some beautiful kingfishers, woodpeckers and Asian flycatchers cleaning themselves in the surrounding ponds. You'd love the place. An abundance of wildlife and birds.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hellcock said:

Nice! I'll download the book.

You may not think it, but I was a very keen birdwatcher growing up! Absolutely loved it and it's been rekindled with me moving to a more rural tropical area of Singapore and some recent trips to sri lanka.

Observed from the comfort of a swimming pool deep in the jungle of Sri Lanka some beautiful kingfishers, woodpeckers and Asian flycatchers cleaning themselves in the surrounding ponds. You'd love the place. An abundance of wildlife and birds.

Sounds fantastic.

The book is a really good read. There's another one from a few years back by a husband and wife team who attempted to break the world record instead. I've also got another book about the obsession of birders in the very early days (being eaten by tigers or involved in car crashes after chasing a rare twitch) but I can't remember the names of either. I'll look tonight and get back to you.

Also, if it's still on netflix there's a good film called Confessions of a teenage birder which features ben kingsley and has a group of kids chasing after a long-thought extinct duck that one of them sees.

• Upvote 1