rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Is it March 3rd yet?  

26xBLCxKvyJWvX3MY.gif

l3q2NCJ3Fb4NIqDFC.gif

That first gif is just a LITTLE too short! I want to see the explosion! I think a lot of time will be spent just blowing up shit. I do hope it doesn't get like GTA does for me though, I spend all my game time messing around and never end up progressing with the story!

I've had terrible man flu today, earlier I relaxed under a blanket on the sofa playing Wind Waker on the Wii U touchpad. Never really used it much at all, especially not for off TV gaming, but thought I'd give it a decent go in prep for the switch. It was nice and definitely easier on my blurry eyes. Hopefully the switch will get an animal crossing(a proper Animal Crossing, not an Amiibo game), the 3DS version is a great game for sick days when you don't want to sit in front of the TV.

EDIT: Shitty Tapatalk was cutting down the gif, saw full version on safari! :D

That bomb clip is all kinds of amazing. It's hypnotic. Utterly beautiful, great physics and just so much going on, with loads of little details. I love how Link looks back towards the carnage at the end.

11 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Dungeon chat

Hide contents

I thought we knew it was 4 main dungeons, each one being one of the mobile robot thingies.  The flying bird, the thing walking around the volcano & two others.

I have never seen an official source saying there were four dungeons.

21 minutes ago, jonamok said:

It's interesting to hear them make the point about there not being any level scaling. I wouldn't have thought anyone who's ever played a Zelda game would have expected something like that, but I think it bodes well that comparisons are constantly being drawn with the likes of Skyrim. Further evidence that BotW is the greatest shake-up in the Zelda formula we've had yet.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Indy @ S.E. said:

What's level scaling please?

(haven't played Skyrim)

It's where the enemies scale to your level to ensure a consistent challenge and that things are never too easy or too hard. So initially the enemies in a certain area might be Level 3 to match your level, but if you come back 20 hours later they're suddenly Level 15 to match you and are wearing glass armour and shit.

While this ensures a consistent challenge, it robs the player of two things - 1) the feeling of wandering into an area feeling totally overwhelmed and running away, making a mental note to come back later 2) the feeling of getting stronger and progressing. If enemies don't scale, you can go back to an early area and wipe the floor with them without issue. If enemies scale, you never get that pleasure because they're always leveling up along with you.

Basically enemies not scaling is a good thing because it makes your travels feel more like adventures (am I going to run into a load of high level enemies or a load of plebs?) and it gives you a more tangible sense of growing stronger as the game progresses.

• Upvote 5

Automatically scaling the level/strength/type of enemies to make them manageable at the player's level (includes up-levelling enemies). An easy way to identify good Elder Scrolls game: if they have scaling, they aren't good. 

Edit: what Majora said 

• Upvote 1

This is sounding like a really tough Zelda. Will probably last me months...Especially if I get distracted by the world.

I actually think of this as some spin-off as opposed to an actual Zelda game.

I'm working from home today so stuck the trailer on the big tv with the sound cranked up for the first time and its just so so good.  

I've probably seen it 10+ times now in total and it still gives me goose bumps.  :wub:

It does look rock hard in places. One-hit-kills from the big bads and plenty of dynamic enemy movement to keep you on your toes. Add in weapon breakage and you are getting into Souls territory. Yayyy!

Yeah I've heard journalists (it might have been GameInformer actually) talking about some enemies taking off 6 hearts with a single hit. That's a far cry from some of the recent 3D Zeldas where the standard enemies would take 1/4 to 1/2 heart off you and never really pose any threat. Presumably with the right equipment and potions you can mitigate some of the increased damage but it is exciting to think that we have a Zelda game where you don't just go wading into every single battle without fear.

Also I can't remember if was some rumour or confirmed but I'm sure I heard somewhere that you can now max out at 30 hearts rather than 20.

• Upvote 1

WOW!

A de-levelled world is the first thing that Skyrim's most popular game play overhaul mod addresses (Requiem).

This is something else to add to the list where Nintendo seem to be looking at Skyrim immersion mods, rather than Skyrim itself, for inspiration.

Believe me friends, this is another piece of excellent news. The best yet, in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yeah I've heard journalists (it might have been GameInformer actually) talking about some enemies taking off 6 hearts with a single hit. That's a far cry from some of the recent 3D Zeldas where the standard enemies would take 1/4 to 1/2 heart off you and never really pose any threat.

Not just standard enemies, the final boss in Twilight Princess knocks off a 1/4 heart!

@Fallows I believe you my friend. I hate scaling. Struggling with some suddenly badass cockroach or whatever when you're tooled up near an endgame is ridiculous. If I wander into a fight I can't handle, lesson learned. If I mash through low-level fodder in the late game, that's part of my reward - as long as the combat still feels fun. And this looks like sheer fun. From the on-foot scraps to the horseback stuff, to the creative physics and environmental kills. :wub:

Looks like a GOAT contender already.

1 minute ago, Made of Ghosts said:

There's no levelling in this anyway, is there?

It's just cleverly designed. There always has been in Zelda, in the form of hearts, items/abilities, and magic meter.

It's also there in Metroid as well. Compare intro Samus to end-game Samus.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

This video is just incredible. As some people have mentioned, the fact there's now some push back in the form of some actual difficulty is making me even more excited. I love the older 3D games like WW, TP and SS but do really miss the lack of difficulty. Seeing that Guardian take out link in one hit is making me salivate. 

..but that video's is enough for me. I'm bowing out from this thread till long after I've finished the game. Don't want to hit massive spoilers and do not want to converse or respond to the guaranteed critique cuntery that's bound to follow the games release. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Sorry to be that guy but looks like the guide is being pushed on a week through Amazon...

Piggyback "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild The Complete Official Guide, Collector's Edition"
    Estimated arrival date: March 09 2017

Where can I order this thing?! :(

It wasn't on the site even on the first day I spotted the regular and Hardback (also gone) editions :(

Oh wow. Never thought I'd see the day where Nintendo made an Expansion Pass for a Zelda game. It makes perfect sense if the world is so big though. Hoping for some Majora's Mask-esque spin on things please.

Starting when the game launches on 3rd March, players will be able to purchase an Expansion Pass for £17.99/€19.99, granting access to two new sets of downloadable content for the game when they become available later this year. Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new Treasure Chests will appear in the game’s Great Plateau area. One of these Treasure Chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo which Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two Treasure Chests will deliver useful items.

The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode and a new feature for the in-game map. The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story. The Expansion Pass will be available for both the Nintendo Switch and Wii U versions of the game and are identical. Content packs cannot be purchased individually. 

“The world of Hyrule which we created for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is so large and vibrant that we wanted to offer more for players to experience within it,” said Nintendo developer Eiji Aonuma, the long-time producer of the series. “With this new Expansion Pass, we hope that fans will play, explore and enjoy the game even more.”

I'm actually totally fine with it, if the value is there. This is the biggest and most expensive game Nintendo have ever made, it makes sense to place new stories and adventures into that world.

The only issue is if the content is lacking, but I think Nintendo do DLC better than most companies and I don't think they'd want to sully the Zelda name by putting out insubstantial crap for 18 quid.

I can't say I particularly desire seeing Link running around in a Switch T-Shirt but for all the rest basically shut up and take my money.jpg

• Upvote 2