revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I’ve been sucked back in and finally finished off Thundercunt Ganon. Killed some Guardians too... turns out I was finding the game so hard because you can’t parry with two-handed weapons - I was assuming my timing was off but I just needed equip a shield! Now I’m parrying fools all over.

Back to exploring and side quests while I stock up for Hyrule Castle. 

The physics of the world with fire, wind, rain and electricity is still stunning. 

I’ve explored most of the map and only 90 Koroks... how are there 800 hidden around everywhere!?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’ve been sucked back in and finally finished off Thundercunt Ganon. Killed some Guardians too... turns out I was finding the game so hard because you can’t parry with two-handed weapons - I was assuming my timing was off but I just needed equip a shield! Now I’m parrying fools all over.

Back to exploring and side quests while I stock up for Hyrule Castle. 

The physics of the world with fire, wind, rain and electricity is still stunning. 

I’ve explored most of the map and only 90 Koroks... how are there 800 hidden around everywhere!?

Glad you're back! I hope you enjoy the rest now! 

As for koroks, they are everywhere. There will definitely be a few 'styles' of korok you've not yet twigged, one you spot them you'll be like, eg "oh so THAT'S why I keep seeing groups of three trees.."

Since I'm now in explorer mode I've decided to go korok hunting. I've found nearly 90 scouring central hyrule alone! :o

• Upvote 1

Ah man, had some great adventures today.  I had a heatbreak moment though.  Clearing the castle as I hunted koroks, I had a tough time vs the Lynels there.  One started going mad with his shock arrows, they do this mad thing where they home in/rain from above.  My super duper special shield broke in the fireworks.  I captured the moment for posterity.  WAtching it back, though, I realised... I merely dropped it.   I could've found it, but I've long since left, no chance it'll still be there now! :(

Also, I discovered this site while researching, it's a super handy google maps-style interactive map for BotW: https://www.zeldadungeon.net/breath-of-the-wild-interactive-map/ 

Anyway, clips time!! To save people's scrolling, they're all behind spoiler tags, aside from today's Dood's Clip of the Day:

Runner up: (sound needed, really..)

Others, non DLC2 reward related: 

Spoiler

Some DLC2 reward spoilers in here:

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

And here's the heroes path, sans Shrines for spoiler's sake! :) Last time I'd posted this I'd only done two bosses, well now main quest is done, and you can see the exploration I've done around Central Hyrule to begin! :D 

3.jpg.5b0807c47238377e7dca4f8632892e86.jpg

@dood; don't worry, bro. I dropped my super shield in one of the Guardian beasts, so no chance of getting back in.

But I found a guy, who knew a guy, and money changed hands... Sorted!

• Upvote 1

hang on a second... 

decided to play this once again, as i stopped after 3 divine beasts, thought i might finish it over xmas, so been looking for all the memory locations. 

found all but two, i know where both are, one is in 

Spoiler

the castle just before ganon, and the other is in a field of dead guardians sort of near kakariko village

decided not to get the first one due to its location for now, but i cant seem to find the second. i am exactly where i need to be, but it isnt showing? had a quick look on youtube and it seems to only activate once you collect all the others? am i right? 

its 12 & 17 i am missing...

anyone? 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, noob said:

hang on a second... 

decided to play this once again, as i stopped after 3 divine beasts, thought i might finish it over xmas, so been looking for all the memory locations. 

found all but two, i know where both are, one is in 

Hide contents

the castle just before ganon, and the other is in a field of dead guardians sort of near kakariko village

decided not to get the first one due to its location for now, but i cant seem to find the second. i am exactly where i need to be, but it isnt showing? had a quick look on youtube and it seems to only activate once you collect all the others? am i right? 

its 12 & 17 i am missing...

anyone? 

I think the final one in the guardian field is #18, so it seems you've missed another different one. 

this map could help you quickly find/check them.  You need to get the one in the castle before being able to get them all!

I bought BotW as a treat to myself this Christmas and managed a couple of hours last night on our brand new Switch when everyone had gone to bed.

Wow.

Running out of the Resurrection Shrine and seeing Hyrule spread out before me from that vantage point...well, it made me feel the same way I did when Ocarina of Time came out all those years ago and you first step out into Hyrule Field. I've never really played any other open world game so have no frame of reference, but this feels incredibly special. I've been in some fights, got killed a few times, did a bit of rudimentary cooking and climbed all over the place - just basking in the sheer joy of freedom and exploration in this beautiful world. I've done one shrine, identified a couple of others and started to realise the magnitude of the game. Given how little time I have to play these days, I'm not sure when I'll ever finish it, but perhaps that's not such a bad thing when it's so good to just simply be in this game.

I probably need to play with some headphones to really feel the ambience, though.

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Chosty said:

I bought BotW as a treat to myself this Christmas and managed a couple of hours last night on our brand new Switch when everyone had gone to bed.

Wow.

Running out of the Resurrection Shrine and seeing Hyrule spread out before me from that vantage point...well, it made me feel the same way I did when Ocarina of Time came out all those years ago and you first step out into Hyrule Field. I've never really played any other open world game so have no frame of reference, but this feels incredibly special. I've been in some fights, got killed a few times, did a bit of rudimentary cooking and climbed all over the place - just basking in the sheer joy of freedom and exploration in this beautiful world. I've done one shrine, identified a couple of others and started to realise the magnitude of the game. Given how little time I have to play these days, I'm not sure when I'll ever finish it, but perhaps that's not such a bad thing when it's so good to just simply be in this game.

I probably need to play with some headphones to really feel the ambience, though.

You certainly picked the best open world game there is as your first one. You’re in for probably the best gaming adventure of your life.

Managed to kill my first Lynel :D

It was the one you're supposed to gather shock arrows from but I've now been playing for about 30 hours and had a full weapon compliment plus a few decent shields so I decided to give it a crack. Managed to take a quarter of his health off like a boss just using flurry rushes and conservative spear jabs, but then the sweaty palms set in and I had to gobble about two thirds of my inventory before he went down. Lost my prized guardian shield + that I've been holding onto for about seven hours now but if I'm not going to use it for that, when will I? Luckily I also managed to snap a pic of it without picking the quest up so managed a freebie reward when I got back. 

Still can't get over how great this is. It's the little things, in the last couple of days the biggest grins I've had were from figuring out how to properly use boomerangs - nothing better than multi-hitting a group of baddies before catching it on the rebound like a jedi - and finally figuring out how to shield surf. I was just messing about with at the lab at the top of Hateno on my way to buy some arrows, suddenly he was off and I surfed down most of the hill before hitting a bump, pulling some sick air and gliding gracefully to a stop right in front of the shop. 

Then I attacked a chicken and its friends got mad. 

• Upvote 9

Been playing this since March on and off, have clocked up almost 200 hours, and still finding new quests from the vanilla game. Still have two shrines to find and just ticked over 500 Korok seeds w/ all slots maxed out.

Still haven't really fought the Lynels, either, so that's a whole new game to look forward to.

THIS FUCKING GAME :wub: 

• Upvote 2

Been a while since I've spammed some clips... 

The rest:

Spoiler

Obligatory DLC2 complete warning:

Spoiler

Progress map below.  It's slow and steady, but I am happy to eke it out.  Once this playthrough is done, I'll probably have to hang up my sword for good.  I don't want to ever finish tbh!  Going to finish the top-left quadrant before moving on.  Plan is to complete villages / stable quests as I visit them.  I'm tempted to remove the korok mask, too, I'm basically finding them before the telltale jingle, now!

4.thumb.jpg.949f5db160b54fd4358b7bd5fef950ad.jpg

• Upvote 1

Finally finished. Over 75 hours. 65 shrines. Calamity Ganon downed.

The final fight was wonderful, although cow mode didn’t really add anything.

The cutscenes, while slight, were perfectly pitched. I felt like I’d been in a Ghibli movie. 

A game like this comes along once a generation. Genuinely feel a sense of loss at having finished it, which I last felt with TLOU, and maybe SOTC before that. It’s also one of the few videogames I actually complete nowadays.

Amazing accomplishment for Nintendo and totally the GOTY.

• Upvote 4

After finding all the memories, completing 99 shrines, discovering 202 koroks and finishing the Champions Ballad I finally faced up to my responsibilities and tackled Calamity Ganon.  I can't believe the game didn't click with me first time around because it's utterly amazing!  It's been pretty much all I have been playing and I still want to keep exploring.  After about 150 hours I also finally stumbled upon my first bear sighting.

Despite finishing the game I'm still wandering and exploring and don't see that finishing any time soon.  I still also need to have a proper go at the Trial of the Sword and may even venture into Master Mode.  Just a fantastic experience all round.

• Upvote 3

Flipping heck man. Got to what I presume is the final trial of the final set of sword trials, on my first attempt in Master mode! Intense doesn't cover it! Wish I'd saved a precious ancient arrow, hah. 

Also, addict in the making... 

rps20171229_160150.jpg.568d41fbbe514742acc035435b7563ad.jpg