Jump to content
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Anyway, has anyone ever got any views on these fake Amiibo card thingies?

 

Sure somebody here had taken a punt on them and they’d been fine. There’s stacks of them for sale from China. 

 

I've got some - got a Zelda set and a MK8 set - work absolutely fine and save a lot of room! The Zelda set I have is particularly nicely done 0 nice artwork and decent quality.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

 

Not at all! At the start of the game that dude says climb towers and look for shrines, and I just did that, working outward from the starting plateau. After 20 odd hours I had uncovered the entire map, plus had collected enough hearts and decent weapons so started working on the 4 main dungeons and looking for the memories and stuff. I did any significant quest I stumbled upon (like for certain armour or weapons) and ignored any filler.

 

I actually felt I played the game reasonably thoroughly, but obviously not for you lot!

 

I didn't unlock a new tower until I'd pottered around and explored the area I just unlocked. It all depends on what you enjoyed about the game. I wasn't a massive fan of the combat but loved just wandering round the environment and creating my own little mini stories - I really liked working out how to climb a mountain.

I didn't focus that much on the collecting mini quests as they didn't appeal to me.

 

Most of the cool things you might have missed out on weren't quests or missions per se but just the random stuff that happens when you were pottering about - like when you stumble into a enemy camp, start an accidental forrest fire and end up riding on a bear.

 

There are some cool quests like Evertide Island and some fun shrines and mini quests.

 

I fucking loved Zelda though, so just wondering round for me was great fun. I'm less into platformers though so I'm pretty much done with Mario having got the minimum moons required. I can see why people utterly love it but I didn't really spark anything for me.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a theory - the people who have racked up 100's of hours are the daydreamers. They like to mess around in the game world. Prod it and poke it to see what rewards come their way. They are happy to just wander around willy nilly, taking in the sights, with no sense of urgency to complete the main quest.

 

The people who complete it in a much shorter space of time are the go-getters. They dont want excuses, they want results. They will plough through the main quest to get to the end because thats what go-getters do. They dont suffer fools, and they they put in the work, whether its whilst they are playing games, or in the workplace.

 

2 different sets of people with different opinions, needs, wants, expectations. I guess at the end of the day, it doesnt matter what type of person you are. Maybe you enjoy Zelda, maybe you dont, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if you enjoy it and other people dont, or vice versa?

 

Oh, and just for the record, i'm a daydreamer, and it took me 270 hours to get all shrines and defeat Ganon. I havent 100% it yet though.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nakamura said:

Or shooting electric arrows into a lake to see how many fish I can catch. 

 

Damn. Never thought of trying that. I did try shooting a red Lynel with shock arrows when it was standing in a pool of water and it did absolutely fuck all damage, so maybe that's why I never bothered trying it again lol. 

 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

..end up riding on a bear.

 

Wait, what now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my kids the Urbosa Amiibo from the Nintendo shop when I was over in the states last week... it unlocks a really cool divine helm thing and now I want all the champions...!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I've got a theory - the people who have racked up 100's of hours are the daydreamers. They like to mess around in the game world. Prod it and poke it to see what rewards come their way. They are happy to just wander around willy nilly, taking in the sights, with no sense of urgency to complete the main quest.

 

The people who complete it in a much shorter space of time are the go-getters. They dont want excuses, they want results. They will plough through the main quest to get to the end because thats what go-getters do. They dont suffer fools, and they they put in the work, whether its whilst they are playing games, or in the workplace.

 

2 different sets of people with different opinions, needs, wants, expectations. I guess at the end of the day, it doesnt matter what type of person you are. Maybe you enjoy Zelda, maybe you dont, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if you enjoy it and other people dont, or vice versa?

 

Oh, and just for the record, i'm a daydreamer, and it took me 270 hours to get all shrines and defeat Ganon. I havent 100% it yet though.

 

 

 

 

 

I loved just wandering around exploring every inch of the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

 

Damn. Never thought of trying that. I did try shooting a red Lynel with shock arrows when it was standing in a pool of water and it did absolutely fuck all damage, so maybe that's why I never bothered trying it again lol. 

 

 

And that's why this game is so good. So many ways to play it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spent 30 mins trying to boomerang a flying shock thing. Never managed it but the joy of hitting A to catch the returning ‘rang was joyous.

I can literally put this on and just hang out within the world. Never played a game like it

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, weightgain said:

Just spent 30 mins trying to boomerang a flying shock thing. Never managed it but the joy of hitting A to catch the returning ‘rang was joyous.

I can literally put this on and just hang out within the world. Never played a game like it

My favourite weapon is the giant boomerang so satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dood said:

It did for me - you defo pressing X on the map screen to see it? 

 

Yeah, it's showing the path, but starts from the first time I ventured into Hyrule Castle for a snoop around, which was quite a way into my game.  Still interesting to watch from that point on, though I was teleporting all over the place around that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

 

What does your Hero's Path look like? Would be interested to see a 35 hour version :)

 

This started recording half way through, but you get the idea :)

 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

 

This started recording half way through, but you get the idea :)

 

 

You’ve barely been anywhere off the beaten path!

 

Honestly so much you’ve missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was riding along last night on Nobbsy with the plinky plonky music in the background then suddenly something magical happened:

 

Classic theme tune FTW!

 

Also sneaking like Snake through a bunch of Boglins sleeping in a ruined village and silently murdering them one by one, then being swamped by several Moglins with farming implements, climbing a thorny tower, doing a failed bombing run on a treehouse full of the Bogs, watching said Bogs blow themselves up by careless use of the explodey barrels, saving some truffle hunters and finding a cave full of hidden treasure. Awesome stuff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that video, am I right in saying you didn't even go to bloody Eventide Island? Or do the labyrinth near Akkala?

 

I take it all back, this playthrough is NOT fine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Majora said:

From that video, am I right in saying you didn't even go to bloody Eventide Island? Or do the labyrinth near Akkala?

 

I take it all back, this playthrough is NOT fine.

 

 

 

What is there that isn't just more of the same stuff I've already done?

 

See, this is what I don't get, cos when I play a game like this, I feel a sense of urgency to do the main quest cos, well, there's a catastrophic evil to defeat and it shouldn't wait till I've done all the shield surfing side quests ffs! Ideally, a game like this should let you play around in the world after the credits when the urgency has gone, but it doesn't. It just puts you back before Mega Ganon so I can't be arsed. There's other games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think BotW just isn't for you, which is fine. A big part of it is that it rewards exploration, so if you see something interesting and walk over to it, more often than not there'll be something really cool there.

 

If you're not the type to just piss about in a world and you're more about getting the quests done then it's probably just not for you. And I don't think us saying "ahh you should have gone to x or y" is going to help at all because once you go somewhere because you've been told to then the magic is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.