revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I think it’s stretching it a bit to call it a tribute but ok. I never really bothered photographing stuff unless it was part of a side quest. 

Ignoring some of the reaching going on in that video, I thought the name Satori Mountain itself was sufficiently referential.

• Upvote 2

Took down my first horse dude last night. 40 odd hours in. Lyne is it? Pretty much fucked him up with some bomb arrows and my bow I got for smashing the flying dude. Think it shoots three arrows for one?

Names are clearly not my strong point but epic smash up and felt good taking him down. He got a sneaky shot on me and I survived by a single heart but that’s all ok. 

Dropped weapons didn’t exactly blow me away and I presume his dropped body parts will help out with something somewhere but it was tense and exhilarating all at the same time!

Got a quiet night planned so will do some exploring in the wilds. Still utterly blown away by this whole package...

• Upvote 2

Yeah, those body parts will come in useful - I wouldn't just sell them. Some of the tougher horse dudes (lynels) will also drop way better gear.

• Upvote 2

I've had a couple of work events this week so not played for a couple of days.  Picked this up again and managed to make it through the stealth trial on the train home.  Glad that bit is done and now back to exploring.  All this talk of Lynel's makes me think I should have another try and see how I get on...

• Upvote 1

I borrowed this on the Wii U earlier in the year and blitzed through it as I only had it for a couple of weeks. Re-bought it today for my Switch, and nine hours later it reminded me why I see it as the greatest game of all time. Fully immersed, a big smile on my face. Its a fucking triumph of an experience. So glad I can take my time with it now, I missed so much first time round.

Two more days of work then a week off, and I've this, Mario post credits, Yakuza 0 and Titanfall 2 SP to blitz through. I won't be leaving the flat.

• Upvote 6

I headed back to be reunited with the Lynel by Zora's Domain.  Very different encounter to the first time.  I had enough hearts to withstand a hit and beat him with a combination of stasis and arrows and some sneaky hits while he was down.  My timing / aim was a bit off but got there in the end.

• Upvote 1

I got caught in a lightning storm while exploring this afternoon so quickly unequipped all my metal gear.  At that moment one of the Yiga Clan swordsmen appeared in front of me.  Bugger  I thought, how am I going to deal with this?  Just then a big bolt of lightning struck and killed him right in front of me!

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, bagapeas said:

I got caught in a lightning storm while exploring this afternoon so quickly unequipped all my metal gear.  At that moment one of the Yiga Clan swordsmen appeared in front of me.  Bugger  I thought, how am I going to deal with this?  Just then a big bolt of lightning struck and killed him right in front of me!

Take that you Yiga git lol!

Getting caught by enemies in a lightning storm has happened to me a few times now, so I try and keep some non-metal equipment with me, albeit stuff that does fuck all damage (with the exception of my beloved wooden-but-soon-to-explode Forest Dweller's Bow that does 10x3 damage by firing three arrows at a time).

Even just a wooden shield will protect you against arrows since the blue and white enemies with bows start doing a shit tonne of damage to you. 

On 11/16/2017 at 12:53, neoELITE said:

Nintendo made the best on-line team based shooter since Halo 2 in Splatoon and have followed it up with Splatoon 2. Nintendo don't make games where people shoot other people online so this was quite some achievement.

I love Splatoon 1&2 - it'd probably scrape my all-time top ten. But that's not because it's the best on-line team based shooter. I'd argue that it was fun to play in spite of being quite bad at the "team-based" stuff.

Also if you'd draw a line from Halo 2 (which wasn't even the best online team-based shooter at launch), then you're ignoring (off the top of my head) TFC, TF2, COD (S&D), Overwatch and yes, R6: Siege - it's free this weekend, try it!

On 11/16/2017 at 12:53, neoELITE said:

Mario Galaxy I and II were terrific as was Mario 3D World and Land. Odyssey is an utter zenith of a game.

Odyssey isn't as good as Galaxy imo. I'd say it was arguable.

I 100% agree with everything else you said, though.

I picked up a Switch for Mario Odyssey and got Zelda as part of the bundle and of course 95% of my Switch time has been playing Zelda. 

Now I'm kinda playing it twice because I have my save and my daughter (11) has hers, and I'm having a ton of fun having a Zelda buddy in the house so we are passing the pad on her save while I'll play mine when it's quiet.  Now I'm actually thinking of buying her a Princess Zelda Amiibo, which ones have the best in game unlocks? 

I'm surprised at how difficult this is; I'm regularly having my nads handed to me by the boglins. I need to find some proper armour, this peasant shirt is doing me no favours, although my snazzy bandana does make me look like Dave the monster Perry.

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Take that you Yiga git lol!

Getting caught by enemies in a lightning storm has happened to me a few times now, so I try and keep some non-metal equipment with me, albeit stuff that does fuck all damage (with the exception of my beloved wooden-but-soon-to-explode Forest Dweller's Bow that does 10x3 damage by firing three arrows at a time).

Even just a wooden shield will protect you against arrows since the blue and white enemies with bows start doing a shit tonne of damage to you. 

As I recall, the ancient weaponry used by combat guardians isn't metallic - so if you pick some of the better stuff up (e.g. in a shrine), you can equip that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Vinz Clortho said:

I'm surprised at how difficult this is; I'm regularly having my nads handed to me by the boglins. I need to find some proper armour, this peasant shirt is doing me no favours, although my snazzy bandana does make me look like Dave the monster Perry.

I got utterly destroyed by Boglins at the start. Head to a town and soon enough you will be smashing them all over the place.

On 13/11/2017 at 16:02, Stanley said:

Even in narrative driven games like Witcher I'll be asking, can I climb that, how do get up there, where should I go next, etc. 

I played and completed Horizon after BoTW and it suffered as a result.

I also preferred the narrative in Breath of The Wild, the narrative I made up myself. I enjoyed the places and characters and the things I did more so than Witcher or Horizon.

Sure you know what'll make Witcher 4 better is slowly climbing for one hour so Geralt can lift a rock and have a koro seed pop out. Game changing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Sure you know what'll make Witcher 4 better is slowly climbing for one hour so Geralt can lift a rock and have a koro seed pop out. Game changing.

What would I know? I clearly haven't played as many games as you. You're the expert.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What would I know? I clearly haven't played as many games as you. You're the expert.

Did you play Witcher 3? If so are you serious that without climbing you just wouldn't enjoy it now. Climbing in Zelda is literally pushing forward while you watch him slowly go up. The majority of the time to find nothing of value. Edit: occasionally it would rain so you fall down. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

4 minutes ago, Oz said:

Did you play Witcher 3? If so are you serious that without climbing you just wouldn't enjoy it now. Climbing in Zelda is literally pushing forward while you watch him slowly go up. The majority of the time to find nothing of value. Edit: occasionally it would rain so you fall down. 

You're the one who brought Witcher 3 up in the first place. 

And yes I have played it, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I've played all the other games you mentioned also. Perhaps I just haven't played them enough, and don't have your insight. Maybe that's why I'm bestowing Zelda with so much "undeserved praise".

Me and everyone else, that is. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stanley said:

You're the one who brought Witcher 3 up in the first place. 

And yes I have played it, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I've played all the other games you mentioned also. Perhaps I just haven't played them enough, and don't have your insight. Maybe that's why I'm bestowing Zelda with so much "undeserved praise".

Me and everyone else, that is. 

Well maybe not undeserved. I take that back. Maybe the correct word is hyperbolic. I think it does deserve significant praise. But I just do not think it changed the game. Not even compared to dark souls which spawned a new genre. I don't think you will see the climbing in any other game. Because outside of the Zelda context (with the world design and art direction) it would be super boring. Another thing you will not see is weapons breaking mid battle. Because it's bad design. 

• Downvote 11

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Well maybe not undeserved. I take that back. Maybe the correct word is hyperbolic. I think it does deserve significant praise. But I just do not think it changed the game. Not even compared to dark souls which spawned a new genre. I don't think you will see the climbing in any other game. Because outside of the Zelda context (with the world design and art direction) it would be super boring. Another thing you will not see is weapons breaking mid battle. Because it's bad design. 

So why do you think it deserves "significant praise"? Try steering clear of any hyperbole though.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So why do you think it deserves "significant praise"? Try steering clear of any hyperbole though.

It's artistic in a way few games are. Art direction, music and sense of place. Sense of wonder and charm. But bad combat mechanics and some bad game design choices such as the weapon durability mechanic. Also archaic story telling. 

• Downvote 2

Put this on for a dabble last night and was hooked for hours again. Same thing happened this morning.

I'm around the final two unexplored areas, so have one tower left to unlock.

I think playing this through a second time, only taking a different path, will prove equally as staggering.