revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

That ice block underneath a guardian trick.. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?!  I'm only 48 seconds into the video and I'm already amazed.

Edit:

Spoiler

Dropping your items on the raft before starting the trial on eventide island.. jesus christ, I love this video.

14 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Ancient arrows can be bought at the Akkala tech lab, if that's what you mean. I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't that expensive! You're don't need them to defeat the bird though. 

Its the bomb arrows the only place I find to buy them is from the women in the desert. 

Right I was on one of the mountains and could see a  depression/crater in the distance; that needs investigating I think to myself but not before I rinse these peaks of kurok seeds....three shrines and 2 kurok seeds later and I have no clue where that place was. Map markers arent just for the senile and lazy it would seem.

Oh and on the topic of open world games...this makes a good point of how BOTW moves them on.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/03/04/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-curing-me-of-an-addiction-i-didnt-know-i-had/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwjy3_vF3sLXAhVmF8AKHZhQDEoQFghSMAs&usg=AOvVaw03O_x4ENFAbjcFgzcgz2ZW&ampcf=1

• Upvote 1

40 hours in and felt like a boss after I parried my first Guardian laser beam (it was one of the immobile Guardians, so basically that one shot took it out).

I also managed to kill my first Lynel (the red one on the mountain near Zora's Domain), mostly by parrying but damn did it hurt when I got the timing wrong. :(

On 13/11/2017 at 08:02, Fallows said:

You'll know it once you discover it. 

The thing is, you really don’t. 

I assume you’re referring to the following?

Spoiler

The guy who has the glasses near the stable who bears a passing resemblance to him? 

I played the game for well over 100 hours and when I read about a tribute I was sure I was missing something, when clearly I wasn’t. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

The thing is, you really don’t. 

I assume you’re referring to the following?

Hide contents

The guy who has the glasses near the stable who bears a passing resemblance to him? 

I played the game for well over 100 hours and when I read about a tribute I was sure I was missing something, when clearly I wasn’t. 

No, that's not it.

It's at the end of that (excellent) video if you want to see the whole tribute.

On 13/11/2017 at 15:34, Oz said:

I think you are right. I think the undeserved praise is caused by a combination of the following:

1) They don't play as many games as we do (have not played dark souls, or skyrim, or witcher, or horizon)

2) The game is pulling at exactly the right heart strings tapping into nostalgia in subliminal ways

(playing little notes from Ocarina of time as the wind blows by, etc.)

3) The game is polished and it actually does play well. The art direction and the world design are interesting.

4) They have a high degree of tolerance for bullshit because Nintendo has been shitting on them for the past 10 years.

There it is reduced to a more acceptable and truthful version.

• Upvote 1

Did Ganon just now, saw credits but still a lot of game untouched. Same with Mario. Feel like I can take a little break now though. Maybe even look at Splatoon 2 which has just been sat there.

I've only played about 5 hours of Mario Kart 8 but i just can't get on with it at the moment. I seem to spend only about 60% of the time actually racing - the rest is a maelstrom of weapons. The beauty of SMK was that if you were good, and knew the map well, you could destroy your opponent and also evade most - if not all weapons. Your racing skills were rewarded.

What am i missing with 8?

I think the double weapon boxes have spoiled it a tiny bit from the wii U version and fuck knows why auto drive is on by default, took me a while to realise, but it’s still an amazing game. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I think it’s stretching it a bit to call it a tribute but ok. I never really bothered photographing stuff unless it was part of a side quest. 

Ignoring some of the reaching going on in that video, I thought the name Satori Mountain itself was sufficiently referential.

• Upvote 2

Took down my first horse dude last night. 40 odd hours in. Lyne is it? Pretty much fucked him up with some bomb arrows and my bow I got for smashing the flying dude. Think it shoots three arrows for one?

Names are clearly not my strong point but epic smash up and felt good taking him down. He got a sneaky shot on me and I survived by a single heart but that’s all ok. 

Dropped weapons didn’t exactly blow me away and I presume his dropped body parts will help out with something somewhere but it was tense and exhilarating all at the same time!

Got a quiet night planned so will do some exploring in the wilds. Still utterly blown away by this whole package...

• Upvote 2

Yeah, those body parts will come in useful - I wouldn't just sell them. Some of the tougher horse dudes (lynels) will also drop way better gear.

• Upvote 2

I've had a couple of work events this week so not played for a couple of days.  Picked this up again and managed to make it through the stealth trial on the train home.  Glad that bit is done and now back to exploring.  All this talk of Lynel's makes me think I should have another try and see how I get on...

• Upvote 1

I borrowed this on the Wii U earlier in the year and blitzed through it as I only had it for a couple of weeks. Re-bought it today for my Switch, and nine hours later it reminded me why I see it as the greatest game of all time. Fully immersed, a big smile on my face. Its a fucking triumph of an experience. So glad I can take my time with it now, I missed so much first time round.

Two more days of work then a week off, and I've this, Mario post credits, Yakuza 0 and Titanfall 2 SP to blitz through. I won't be leaving the flat.

• Upvote 6

I headed back to be reunited with the Lynel by Zora's Domain.  Very different encounter to the first time.  I had enough hearts to withstand a hit and beat him with a combination of stasis and arrows and some sneaky hits while he was down.  My timing / aim was a bit off but got there in the end.

• Upvote 1

I got caught in a lightning storm while exploring this afternoon so quickly unequipped all my metal gear.  At that moment one of the Yiga Clan swordsmen appeared in front of me.  Bugger  I thought, how am I going to deal with this?  Just then a big bolt of lightning struck and killed him right in front of me!

• Upvote 9