revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

20 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

What do you class as a dungeon in this? I have done around 15 shrines and the first Divine Beast

Reveal hidden contents

(elephant one)

I assume that is what you mean?

Yes sir, you are correct. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

One thing that I will say is a nice touch, is the pictures of the locations, where you have to find the location to then evoke a memory. 

It's a nice conceit, offering the player that chance of feeling they've seen something before, then flashing back to a 100 year old memory. 

Nicely done. :)

make sure you find them all... :)

at where you are in the game, you should get gently nudged towards Zora's domain.  

15 minutes ago, scottcr said:

make sure you find them all... :)

at where you are in the game, you should get gently nudged towards Zora's domain.  

I did the first one and then must have missed the nudge and went wandering around for a few hours before someone advised here that is where I should head.  No idea what I am going to do no I have done that bit but pretty sure I will find something.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

I’m in a similar situation with feeling a bit lost, I’ve followed the main story, done the shrines and towers I’ve found on the way and

Reveal hidden contents

I’m now at a bit where it’s unlocked pictures of my memories but the waypoint is set on the bird who gave me the task so I literally have 0 idea which direction to head in, and obviously the map is bloody huge so do I just travel for hours in the wrong direction ? I thought I was pretty good at this sort of thing, I love Fallout, Witcher, Skyrim etc. But that probably held my hand a bit more than this does.

Ill stick at it because I’m living what I’ve played, I’m just a bit clueless as to what I’m meant to be doing.

If in doubt, climb a hill and head towards shrines, towers, or any interesting landmarks.

The game is incredibly good at gently funnelling the player towards objectives. Unlike other open world games where you are given clear directions ("go here and talk to this guy") the developer has taken more care to suggest where to go ("follow this path and take the fork to the right") and then adding interesting diversions along the way.

It all feels very natural, and the trick (for me) was not to try to force it to become too linear. There are loads of clues in the environment and in NPC conversations, and the way that everybody finds their own path through the game is one of the pleasures of reading this thread.

@BossSaru

It is all starting to feel a lot more natural to me now, I think I’ve spent so long gaming by numbers (go to point a, here’s a marker) that I’ve actually forgot how to really adventure. 

When I get home tonight I’m just going to venture towards the next big story mission and take it all in on the way instead of wirreting that I don’t know where I’m going

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

@BossSaru

It is all starting to feel a lot more natural to me now, I think I’ve spent so long gaming by numbers (go to point a, here’s a marker) that I’ve actually forgot how to really adventure. 

When I get home tonight I’m just going to venture towards the next big story mission and take it all in on the way instead of wirreting that I don’t know where I’m going

that's how to play it... 

I've certainly found myself distracted while on route somewhere and then finding another distraction.  The markers have also been pretty handy for marking something that looks interesting in the distance and there are a few things I've encountered that feel as though something should happen but not sure what that might be yet.  The memories have been a nice touch and I've found a few on my travels.

Best bit of advice I got was just to open up the map (once you've found your local tower) and look at things that look interesting. 

The game is full of icons in terms of where to go, you just have to do your research and find them on the map. 

I got the game just after launch and was quickly sucked into exploring the world, but the Zora's Domain section with its dialog and big set pieces bummed me out so bad I stopped playing (that was at Easter) and I've only just come back. I just up and left the Zora, forgot about the Divine Beasts and transported elsewhere to start adventuring at my own pace again. There's so much to do outside of the story arc: exploring the map and the beautiful scenery is fun in itself. Then there's finding and clearing shrines, wiping out enemy camps for treasure, stalking wildlife for meat, finding food and other ingredients for cooking, climbing up stuff just for the view, finding koroks, riding your horse. I appreciate that such an unstructured style isn't for everyone, but I love the relaxing nature of the game when playing like this. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I got the game just after launch and was quickly sucked into exploring the world, but the Zora's Domain section with its dialog and big set pieces bummed me out so bad I stopped playing (that was at Easter) and I've only just come back. I just up and left the Zora, forgot about the Divine Beasts and transported elsewhere to start adventuring at my own pace again. There's so much to do outside of the story arc: exploring the map and the beautiful scenery is fun in itself. Then there's finding and clearing shrines, wiping out enemy camps for treasure, stalking wildlife for meat, finding food and other ingredients for cooking, climbing up stuff just for the view, finding koroks, riding your horse. I appreciate that such an unstructured style isn't for everyone, but I love the relaxing nature of the game when playing like this. 

each divine beast has a much more traditional and enclosed 'zelda setpiece' on the run up to it... I loved the run up to Zora's domain and the beast.  Especially

encountering a lynell for the first time!!!

Yeah, I headed that way as lots of people were posting about that whole section being the best bit so far. But the last Zelda I played was 2d, and that stuff was just not was I was looking for. I think it's great that it can be played in contrasting styles like that. 

Yaas, embrace the adventure.

I followed the main quest marker up until it split into 4 then disappeared into Hyrule for the best part of 30 hours before getting back to it, but the adventure is always there, tempting you from where you thought you were going.

It says it all that the criteria for getting the

Master Sword

isn't reaching a predetermined point in a forced narrative which requires it, or as a piece of gear gating required to progress, rather it's completely optional and ultimately driven by something the game has made a natural consequence of following your sense of adventure.

The main story is everything you've chosen to do in the order you've chosen do it, and the game is systemed up to its eyeballs in a way that feeds back positively into adventuring your little heart out, without even having to go near any of the backstory-related bits. Now we've seen enough Making Of stuff to know the entire map was explicitly designed to pull you into that "what's that over there? → reward which feed back into the game's systems → what's that over there → ..." loop which gets you moving all over the place, which gets you naturally bumping into all the other stuff in the world which is just sitting there waiting for you to adventure your way into it, without any explicit quest markers pointing at it.

It also says something to me that I can play it for hundreds of hours on my own account, step back and analyse it, but put the pad back in my hands (as my 3 kids have done many, many times while playing their own saves) and I'm just lost to it once more. My 4 year-old accidentally overwrote her save with a new game recently and now the plateau has me again for the 7th or 8th time. To sum up.

• Upvote 3

If you're waiting for the game to lead you by the hand and constantly cajole you into hurrying to the next waypoint, you're missing the greatest open world adventure ever made. My advice is start walking and climbing and get lost, because there's discovery around every corner, over every hill and under every bridge. 

While not as negative as Old Le Chuck here, I am feeling a little bemused myself. It's still early days though so I'm hoping there's going to be a moment that finally makes it all click. :)

And I do think it's funny that Mr Mass Effect Andromeda is moaning about design issues. :P 

56 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Why is this game getting all this praise, and a clear fucking free pass from all the glaring design issues?

Because the things it succeeds at, no other game comes close. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I started this tonight. Is one of the 4 shrines the one in the cold? Can't figure out how to get there despite seeing someone mention the same thing earlier.

I had reservations about the game based on things people have said, both positive and negative. I don't always get on with Zelda games, never really got the fuss over OoT and the like, but this does have an atmosphere and feel that has grabbed me a bit already so I should be able to get into it nicely I think.

I was worried about the frame rate as I really struggle with anything under 60 being a snob these days, but something about the cartoon graphical style makes it seem not so bad.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

See, that's somewhat hyperbolic. So please elaborate. Because the game does not excel at combat, controls, ease-of-use, graphics, voice-acting (practically non-existant) ... I could go on. 

Everything I have played so far, I have seen and done in countless other games over the years. Everything. The game feels old. 

The controls are exactly what it excels that, to name just one. 

The sure footedness of Link, ultra responsive movement and proper dual analogue control makes this game control better than every other open world I've played. Especially games like Witcher, Skyrim and GTAV. 

A bar I didn't set. Along with controls that a actually work, it isn't bogged down with nasty momentum physics, and in a fully interactive world. 

It's so far ahead of open world games.

I guess this thread is now people pandering to and trying to explain to LeChuck why this new Zelda is so good, while he continues to play a game that he obviously doesn’t enjoy for superfluous reasons and repeatedly deploys complaints ad Infinitum ad nauseam?

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

With average graphics that look old. And gameplay that feels old. I just got knocked off my horse by an enemy, because my horse suddenly came to halt as if it it had hit a wall. But no, it was just a little rock.

Why is this game getting all this praise, and a clear fucking free pass from all the glaring design issues?

Fuck off mate, basically. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Pockets said:

I started this tonight. Is one of the 4 shrines the one in the cold? Can't figure out how to get there despite seeing someone mention the same thing earlier.

I had reservations about the game based on things people have said, both positive and negative. I don't always get on with Zelda games, never really got the fuss over OoT and the like, but this does have an atmosphere and feel that has grabbed me a bit already so I should be able to get into it nicely I think.

I was worried about the frame rate as I really struggle with anything under 60 being a snob these days, but something about the cartoon graphical style makes it seem not so bad.

Just go and explore. It's not the kind of game where you have to do this, then that, oh and make sure you do blah blah blah. You'll make your own stories a thousand times over by throwing yourself into 'whatever happens'. You could spend twenty hours in the tutorial area.

The unparalleled achievement of the game, to me, is the vast amount of interaction between the moving parts. 

My post on the previous page was a pretty basic example of how your abilities, combined with shifting environmental and elemental conditions, give enormous scope for imagination and creativity. A couple of weeks ago, I saw two clips which made me laugh with surprise because even after nine months and over a hundred hours, I saw the parts moving in a way I'd not only never imagined possible in the game, but never imagined as a creative possibility in my own mind. The wilful abuse of the laws of physics is a thrill again and again and again, even now.

I'd also say that the world design, traversal and rewards for player-directed exploration are unmatched achievements but they've been covered already by some brilliant posts in this thread. Where I think they're treading water or moving backwards is with the side quests and dungeons. I'd love a few more quests on par with Tarrey Town, I still have twenty fetch quests on my list which I may never get to, and while the major dungeons feel like intricately designed automata, they're also very much variations on a theme.

In terms of its strengths as an open world game, though, nothing else is on this level.  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

In better news, Zora's domain looks rather nice. :)

I find it hard to understand how you can go from full on rage to relative calm in such a short space of time. Aren't you spoiling your enjoyment of it somewhat?

• Upvote 1

After the best game ever praise I gave this and over 100 hours in, 3 divine beasts down, I feel a bit fatigued with it.  I read this thread and feel the need to jump in but then the will disappears as soon as I have start cooking the same recipes for the 1000time or juggling weapons.