revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

35 minutes ago, Naieve said:

One day an angry lion shagged an angry horse, 9 months later.......

But a lions gestation period is around 4 months and a horses is nearly a year :coffee:

I was disappointed that this didn't click with me on release and it's been gathering dust while I've played other things.  But I went back to it a couple of weeks back and I'm really getting into it and things are starting to click.  At first I was feeling lost and directionless and also struggling with the breakable weapons and feeling weak but now I'm enjoying just exploring and have been gradually finding shrines and completing them.  I'm also most of the way through one of the divine beasts.  I really like how places feel recognisable and therefore feeling much less need for a map or pointers as in other open-world games.  I've been getting side-tracked a lot too.  Still a long way to go and loving it so far.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Chooch said:

But a lions gestation period is around 4 months and a horses is nearly a year :coffee:

it should have been a year but the Lynel booted it's way out early. It was grim.

• Upvote 1

On 01/11/2017 at 21:29, Ivanho said:
  Hide contents

You need to find the Old Man & his hut.  He’ll Teach you about cooking & there’s items in his hut that might help

I completely missed that on my play through.  At least for a while a stick and some fire kept me going...

6 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I'm hoping this will be the case for me. Feeling "lost and directionless" is exactly where I'm at with the game right now. 

It was my general feeling all the way through.  I completed it, in as much as I got the end credits, and I did a stack of exploring to get mos tof the shrines. But for me, it is too directionless. In is not a narrative driven open world game ala GTA/Horizon/Assasins creed etc. It is an open world game with no real narrative at all. Its an exploration game.

It was technically massively  impressive and there are some great touches . But for me it never reached the heights that it has for many others. It didn't make it into my top 20 vote that @Benny ran and it probably wouldn't make it into my top 10 this year.

It's as directionless as you want it to be. You can feasibly just follow the story quests and do any shrines/visit any stables you want along the way and you'll get a fairly conventional Zelda game complete with your usual pre-dungeon settlements, pre-dungeon tasks, dungeon (of sorts), boss, onto the next dungeon.

It's a reductive but perfectly feasible way to play it. You probably won't understand why other people like it so much if you do that, but it sounds like you're not particularly enjoying it anyway. Sticking to the story might make it more palatable.

Where are you at right now? Done any dungeons? Visited Kakariko and Hateno Village?

Just follow the quest markers until you've done the first big dungeon, allowing yourself to get distracted with shrines etc on the way. I felt ready to take on the world properly at that point. 

Its definitely an exploration game though. The mystery of the adventure is the hook, for me at least. 

43 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Feeling "lost and directionless" is exactly where I'm at with the game right now. 

14 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I have a waypoint for the story that is way northeast on the map.

Erm....

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

:lol: Yeah, I know. But the waypoint really is miles away, I thought it was something I'd do later in the game. But it seems I have little else to do, so I'll make my way there.

It's not really that far away tbh ...

.... and.... the game might just distract you on the way too.

I think there's a bit of expectation in open world games for EVERYTHING to be an icon on the map.  This game has been designed specifically to have you look at the landscape first and foremost... if you see something that looks a bit unusual, chances are there's something worth going there for.  Use the map markers to pinpoint areas to head towards.

If you're a bit stuck - after the two villages - you want to head off northeast generally, but you'll almost certainly take a turn to the east on your way.

3 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

But it seems I have little else to do, so I'll make my way there.

See, people who clicked with the game would say 'I have so much to explore on my way there!' not 'I have little else to do'.

It's not really a criticism, just that it may not be the style of open world you enjoy and that's fine, in which case following the main story missions may be best for you. You'll still get a decent experience out of the game.

I’m in a similar situation with feeling a bit lost, I’ve followed the main story, done the shrines and towers I’ve found on the way and

I’m now at a bit where it’s unlocked pictures of my memories but the waypoint is set on the bird who gave me the task so I literally have 0 idea which direction to head in, and obviously the map is bloody huge so do I just travel for hours in the wrong direction ? I thought I was pretty good at this sort of thing, I love Fallout, Witcher, Skyrim etc. But that probably held my hand a bit more than this does.

Ill stick at it because I’m living what I’ve played, I’m just a bit clueless as to what I’m meant to be doing.

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Thing is, it is the type of open world I enjoy. Skyrim is a perfect example of such a game. I will persevere. :)

It;s not though is it. I mean, like Skyrim. In skyrim (and the Witcher) you know exactly where you need to go in order to progress whatever mission or quest you are on, and where to go to start another, because you can press a button and pull up active and queued quests and choose what you want to tackle .

Breath of the Wild has none of that, Yes, there is a quests page  and you can see what active ones you have, but the information is minimal. The whole game is unique in it's approach to the open world, it truly is open world and there is nothing driving you to any particular destination, outside of the 4 main objectives.

And most people love it for that. I didn't..

14 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

:lol: Yeah, I know. But the waypoint really is miles away, I thought it was something I'd do later in the game. But it seems I have little else to do, so I'll make my way there.

The side quests are narratively disappointing compared to TW3 and I've hardly done any. They're all invariably shrine or korok related. 

There's lots more to do gameplay-wise just roaming around though, in terms of reaching towers, fighting pig-goblins for chests and weapons and... shrines and koroks. Dem shrines and koroks.

I mostly followed the main quest and I've clocked up 50 hours, but each divine beast and town area is only about 1-2 hours of gameplay. So I guess a lot of my playtime was pissing about.

I just need to finish the camel beast and grab the master sword and I'll be on my way to Ganon... and CEX unless the dlc quest looks anything special.

7 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I’m in a similar situation with feeling a bit lost, I’ve followed the main story, done the shrines and towers I’ve found on the way and

Hide contents

I’m now at a bit where it’s unlocked pictures of my memories but the waypoint is set on the bird who gave me the task so I literally have 0 idea which direction to head in, and obviously the map is bloody huge so do I just travel for hours in the wrong direction ? I thought I was pretty good at this sort of thing, I love Fallout, Witcher, Skyrim etc. But that probably held my hand a bit more than this does.

Ill stick at it because I’m living what I’ve played, I’m just a bit clueless as to what I’m meant to be doing.

If you look on your quest log you should have another 'main' quest for the Divine beasts / main dungeons, they're in far corners of the map, kind of. 

7 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Hide contents

Forget about the memories to begin with  - they are really things to keep an eye out for as you explore during the rest of the game. Just look at the photos and try to keep them in mind as you go around the areas.

You should have another quest to select instead of that one anyway - head for the Zora's!

Just now, dood said:

If you look on your quest log you should have another 'main' quest for the Divine beasts / main dungeons, they're in far corners of the map, kind of. 

Ah yes I have, would you leave the memories but for now and head towards one of them ?

59 minutes ago, dood said:

Just follow the quest markers until you've done the first big dungeon

What do you class as a dungeon in this? I have done around 15 shrines and the first Divine Beast

Spoiler

(elephant one)

I assume that is what you mean?

20 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

What do you class as a dungeon in this? I have done around 15 shrines and the first Divine Beast

Reveal hidden contents

(elephant one)

I assume that is what you mean?

Yes sir, you are correct. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

One thing that I will say is a nice touch, is the pictures of the locations, where you have to find the location to then evoke a memory. 

It's a nice conceit, offering the player that chance of feeling they've seen something before, then flashing back to a 100 year old memory. 

Nicely done. :)

make sure you find them all... :)

at where you are in the game, you should get gently nudged towards Zora's domain.  

15 minutes ago, scottcr said:

make sure you find them all... :)

at where you are in the game, you should get gently nudged towards Zora's domain.  

I did the first one and then must have missed the nudge and went wandering around for a few hours before someone advised here that is where I should head.  No idea what I am going to do no I have done that bit but pretty sure I will find something.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

Reveal hidden contents

If in doubt, climb a hill and head towards shrines, towers, or any interesting landmarks.

The game is incredibly good at gently funnelling the player towards objectives. Unlike other open world games where you are given clear directions ("go here and talk to this guy") the developer has taken more care to suggest where to go ("follow this path and take the fork to the right") and then adding interesting diversions along the way.

It all feels very natural, and the trick (for me) was not to try to force it to become too linear. There are loads of clues in the environment and in NPC conversations, and the way that everybody finds their own path through the game is one of the pleasures of reading this thread.

@BossSaru

It is all starting to feel a lot more natural to me now, I think I’ve spent so long gaming by numbers (go to point a, here’s a marker) that I’ve actually forgot how to really adventure. 

When I get home tonight I’m just going to venture towards the next big story mission and take it all in on the way instead of wirreting that I don’t know where I’m going

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

@BossSaru

It is all starting to feel a lot more natural to me now, I think I’ve spent so long gaming by numbers (go to point a, here’s a marker) that I’ve actually forgot how to really adventure. 

When I get home tonight I’m just going to venture towards the next big story mission and take it all in on the way instead of wirreting that I don’t know where I’m going

that's how to play it... 

I've certainly found myself distracted while on route somewhere and then finding another distraction.  The markers have also been pretty handy for marking something that looks interesting in the distance and there are a few things I've encountered that feel as though something should happen but not sure what that might be yet.  The memories have been a nice touch and I've found a few on my travels.

Best bit of advice I got was just to open up the map (once you've found your local tower) and look at things that look interesting. 

The game is full of icons in terms of where to go, you just have to do your research and find them on the map.