Lorfarius

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

No skin off my nose.  The more Lynx fans on here, the better as far as I'm concerned.

While you're at it, why not treat yourself to a Jag?  You deserve it.

I’m just bitter because I splashed out for one back in the day. I can’t quite remember whether I part  exchanged it for a 3DO or vice-versa. Either way, dark times.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

@Jashin at least you're not alone on the list

Stops being a list, becomes more of a directory. 

• Upvote 1

I have been a very naughty boy.  I bought a McWill modded/recapped/refurbished Lynx 2. It's in lovely condition. Hopefully arriving tomorrow!

Also, Zaku arrived all the way from America today, with a rad little hand drawn cartoon about the Isle of Man on the box, which made me chuckle. It's very good quality - doesn't feel at all homebrewey, with a nice glossy box and a proper lipped game card. Can't wait to play it!  I've stuck my name down on the waiting list for another flashcart too.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.867f50626c74f3c0837c096801accc56.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.084ba18707570a54cbb6db11fa2af00f.jpg

20180823_171034.thumb.jpg.6da1702cc5142857e3bc7e120b49fb64.jpg

Spank me.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

£340 with 10 games, a power supply and inclusive of RM special delivery. For one in nice condition like this, that didn’t seem too rude - a little over the odds, but I want one asap. 

Some of the games are worth a bit, so they’ll be sold when I’ve got a flash cart again.

And lo, it has arrived already.  Splendid service from that seller.  It's in amazing condition cosmetically, as are the game boxes.  Speaker's a big garbled so I might have a bash at replacing that at some point.  It's a common fault since Atari basically stuck in the cheapest off the shelf ones they could find.  Sound is strong and loud through headphones though so the solder around the jack seems solid - another common fault.  The screen, of course, looks amazing being a McWill LCD unit.  Very pleased.

Zaku is impressive!  Parallax backgrounds, enormous sprites and great tunes.

Edit - feels quite Air Zonky.

Odd. There doesn't seem anything wrong with the speaker after all.  It's just California Games giving distorted sound.  Looks like the contacts could do with a good clean up, but I've never had a card do that before!

10 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Odd. There doesn't seem anything wrong with the speaker after all.  It's just California Games giving distorted sound.  Looks like the contacts could do with a good clean up, but I've never had a card do that before!

I get that sort of stuff often. Buy a few cotton buds (wooden not plastic!) and a bottle of Isopropryl then just dab and give it a good rub down.  It's pure alcohol and dissolves within minutes. I'd leave the cart after a good scrub for 10 minutes then its good to go, I've been doing it for years and the stuff is amazing at stripping gunk off.

• Upvote 1

gah, looks like my Lynx is fooked. When I insert Rygar it just says insert game, with Cali it acts as if there's no game inserted (i.e. doesn't seem to power on past a momentary red blip in the LED).

so looks like the unit has died in storage somehow. i tested it with brand new rechargeable batteries so it can't be that. I was really looking forward to some surfing on Cali Games :-(

On 24/08/2018 at 01:30, Nathan Wind said:

I have been a very naughty boy.  I bought a McWill modded/recapped/refurbished Lynx 2. It's in lovely condition. Hopefully arriving tomorrow!

Also, Zaku arrived all the way from America today, with a rad little hand drawn cartoon about the Isle of Man on the box, which made me chuckle. It's very good quality - doesn't feel at all homebrewey, with a nice glossy box and a proper lipped game card. Can't wait to play it!  I've stuck my name down on the waiting list for another flashcart too.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.867f50626c74f3c0837c096801accc56.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.084ba18707570a54cbb6db11fa2af00f.jpg

20180823_171034.thumb.jpg.6da1702cc5142857e3bc7e120b49fb64.jpg

Spank me.

I've never heard of that game between Cyberball and Chips Challenge

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I got one...CEX finally got an unboxed unit in and I had some spare credit to burn off

Lynx I or II?

3 hours ago, I say said:

Lynx I or II?

Lynx 1, I fancied something comically large. 

Although knowing what CEX online is like, it will be a mega drive that turns up.

If it's no good I'll take it back. I did want a lynx 2 but the price is all over the place on eBay and there's none on CEX. 

FYI, McWill replied to my email and is still offering the refurb/screen fitting service.  I'd highly recommend it if you like your Lynx.  @Myshkin, I dare say he could probably get yours working again while it's in for a screen if you're feeling flush.

On 25/08/2018 at 17:42, Lorfarius said:

I get that sort of stuff often. Buy a few cotton buds (wooden not plastic!) and a bottle of Isopropryl then just dab and give it a good rub down.  It's pure alcohol and dissolves within minutes. I'd leave the cart after a good scrub for 10 minutes then its good to go, I've been doing it for years and the stuff is amazing at stripping gunk off.

This. Make sure you get 100% isopro, like this from eBay.  Unadulterated, meaning no oils or any other gack, and tastes great with fever tree and a squeeze of lime *hic*

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Treble said:

This. Make sure you get 100% isopro, like this from eBay.  Unadulterated, meaning no oils or any other gack, and tastes great with fever tree and a squeeze of lime *hic* 

Christ; I hope you're joking there...

6 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

FYI, McWill replied to my email and is still offering the refurb/screen fitting service.  I'd highly recommend it if you like your Lynx.  @Myshkin, I dare say he could probably get yours working again while it's in for a screen if you're feeling flush. 

This might have to happen. It's with @Das at the moment but after that it might have to get sent off for a screen upgrade.

My 12 year-old self would have absolutely exploded with joy at the sort of stuff that's now possible.

13 hours ago, Spartan said:

Lynx 1, I fancied something comically large. 

Although knowing what CEX online is like, it will be a mega drive that turns up.

If it's no good I'll take it back. I did want a lynx 2 but the price is all over the place on eBay and there's none on CEX. 

Welcome on board.  The Lynx is an excellent machine, and the best games on it still hold up very well indeed.

Are you going to be picking up boxed games, or not fussed if they're cart only?

10 hours ago, I say said:

Welcome on board.  The Lynx is an excellent machine, and the best games on it still hold up very well indeed.

Are you going to be picking up boxed games, or not fussed if they're cart only?

Cart only, I can't justify the price for a cardboard box. I've never been bothered about having cases for portable games weirdly. I've barely any for my original game gear or Gameboy games. 

Now, boxed jaguar games are another matter that isn't open for discussion though.