rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Dishonored 2

I've gone Emily, but I'm no where near the ninja I was with corvo. I've definitely adjusted to this more 'messy' playstyle though, as I no longer quickload from a previous save if I get spotted. 

What invariably happens is i get seen by an individual guard who raises the alarm, and i just murder the fuck out of anyone that comes running.

I absolutely love this. It's everything I wanted out of a sequel to my favourite game of last gen. The environments, the book extracts (particularly enjoying Sokolov's Pandyssian memoir), the fashion. It's a mesmerising world to get lost in. 

And they actually made non-lethal combat a bit more fun this time around. I went with Corvo and am only killing my assassination targets and occasionally those I deem to 'deserve' it. Such as an uppity rock-hurling guardsman or two. And the woman in Jindosh's waiting room. Although technically a guardsman killed her while I was choking her from behind. I'm essentially doing a 'canon' sequel to my original Dishonored playthrough in other words.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, smac said:

Aaaaand I'm done.

Hmmmm.

It's a well-crafted game, alright, but my hot take is ... nowhere near as good as the first one.

Interesting.  The first one is exquisite in my opinion and looks even better in the tarted up version.  I think I'll carry on with Skyrim for a while and come back to 2 when a little time has gone by, coming to it straight away might have been a mistake.

I'm still faffing about outside the train station in the second mission (not sure if it ends once i get a train, or if they destination is still part of the second mission).

Think I've found all the multiple routes through the sanbox (and obviously looted them clean :P)

Finished Dishonored 2? No, you haven't. Arkane Studios will be adding new features to the game in an update next month, including new custom difficulty options and even a New Game +, all in the spirit of being able to "play your way". Hooray!

"At Arkane we have this philosophy of Play Your Way," says Dishonored 2 Lead Designer Dinga Bakaba. "But it has to be real. We don’t want it to be just smoke and mirrors."

“Some players move through the game like a shadow, without leaving anyone disturbed,” Creative Director Harvey Smith adds. “Other players leave a big trail of blood and body parts. We try to support both fantasies – taking out your enemies with surgical precision and minimal collateral damage, or leaving the city burning at your back.”

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, smac said:

It's a well-crafted game, alright, but my hot take is ... nowhere near as good as the first one.

Just to expand on this; I think cosmic_guru was on the right track when he asked who's idea was it to have the characters give a commentary/deliver an interior monologue.

The original didn't need it - the original didn't need much exposition at all; everything about the art and level design told the story for you. I mean, take the heart - in the original, you got subtle hints that eventually led you to the dawning realisation that it was

the heart of your dead lover, the empress, given to you as a helping charm by a cruel god. She reveals herself in the most cryptic of wan, little hints. In this one, she pops up in full ghostly form every five minutes professing her undying love for you; give it a rest, dear!

The visual design of the original was beautifully impressionistic; it was an art style, not a rendering choice; it felt like a moving painting; and the characters were wonderfully ugly, just on the right side of caricature.

The level designs told the story of what was happening to the city - you worked out who the gangs were by encountering them on the streets; infiltrating their hideouts as you explored; before revisiting them in later missions. Areas were re-used, so you became familiar with them, and their inhabitants. And the evil in the city was believably outlined - for example, in this sequel, when you get to the Duke's palace, what tells you these people are bad guys?

Um, they have servants strung up to act as unlikely human archery targets for the louche visitors. Who are posh. I mean, comic-book evil.

In the original? You work it out for yourself, in stages. In an early level

you see bodies being dropped off a bridge. One of them maybe moves. Later, you hear soldiers grumbling about others not taking care when identifying plague victims. And then, amid the muck and mud and the stench (imagined) of the quarantined zone, you meet living people cast out with the dead; you realise that the guards are simply dumping hungry and desperate people into the plague zone, to die.

I mean, even in the original, the pub setting for your base allows you to freedom to explore and interact with half-a dozen core characters that you come to know well - and you start to work out what kind of people they are by watching how they interact with each other.

And you make a journey in the original - there's a feeling of an actual story, of momentum building up. Never more so in the original than

the whole flooded district sequence, after your betrayal and delivery to Daud's men, and your return to the pub to find most of the people you became familiar with murdered by those that betrayed you.

Nothing in this sequel has made me feel as intensely involved as the first game - I mean, as far as Daud is concerned, here's what I wrote at the time:

I left the leader alive. I killed every single one of his minions defending him, and took everything he had from right under his nose, but didn't touch a hair on his head. Just so he knew I had been there. And I was better than him.

And got great satisfaction from that choice - like it makes any difference to a bunch of pixels that I didn't trigger his death animation sequence. But the game was that involving I did not simply make a choice based on whatever type of run I was on, but on how I thought 'I' (i.e. Corvo) would react. And not because I'd been told what to do by anyone, but because of everything leading up to that point.

Basically, 2 is very competent, but just lacks that absolute faith in a unique vision that the original had. All too often, this one tells you what to think outright, instead of showing you dozens of little hints, painting a canvas, and leaving you to work it out for yourself.

It's good - but it's just a sequence of isolated scenarios strung together to follow a simplistic plot. Each one beautifully crafted, and exquisitely detailed, but the whole lacks the subtlety of soul of the first.

• Upvote 9

brilliant post @smac, lots of good examples there.  Also, the differences between the high or low chaos routes, as evidenced by little things like (minor spoiler just in case) 

Spoiler

Emily's drawings - I got a screenshot of the happy one from my latest run but the other I remember as much darker

On 16/11/2016 at 19:58, sandman said:

Going off this fast. The fucking giant robot mansion bit is the worst gaming "experience" I've had this year. 

I hated that level on my first play through the game, but I played it again today and I love it more now. I doing another high chaos run, but it's going to be ace trying to stealth that game with no kills or alerts. Right from entering the mansion, I thought of another way to go. Without having to pull the lever to change the room layout ;)

Plus those clockwork robots can be taken down easily. Also that maze bit can be done quite easily as well. Blink is your friend, when stuff is moving ;)

I find myself agreeing with smac. This game doesn't show, it tells, and it's far less engaging because of it. There's nothing to really piece together in this one. 

And the monologues are awful. Really wound me up in Mission 6 where Emily says she has to choose between a thug or zealots. 

And Mission 6 was utter rubbish.

50 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Plus those clockwork robots can be taken down easily. Also that maze bit can be done quite easily as well. Blink is your friend, when stuff is moving ;)

Also,

just sit in the bath before pulling the lever, when you find the bathroom...

12 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

brilliant post @smac, lots of good examples there.  Also, the differences between the high or low chaos routes, as evidenced by little things

Yeah, I think I remember that - also affecting later tasks. I got caught out in the plague zone when

I entered a house expecting to find the same group of survivors to rescue as in my previous playthrough; nuh-uh; I got my head chewed by their infected counterparts.

I think the difference between the first game and this sequel is fascinating; they should be set 'texts' on games design courses. This second is just a game you play; the first was an artistic experience.

Is anyone playing this on a PSPro? getting some strange visual flickering around certain elements of levels (doors, corner joins etc) not sure yet if it's the game, the games 4k mode or my PSPro.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not feeling the Stilton manner. The mechanic introduced really isn't much fun and the "puzzles" are so basic that they might as well not be there. 

I started off enjoying it, but was sick of it at the end.

24 minutes ago, hobo said:

Is anyone playing this on a PSPro? getting some strange visual flickering around certain elements of levels (doors, corner joins etc) not sure yet if it's the game, the games 4k mode or my PSPro.

Base PS4, I got flashes and glitches around what I assume are joins in the models.

4 minutes ago, smac said:

I started off enjoying it, but was sick of it at the end.

Base PS4, I got flashes and glitches around what I assume are joins in the models.

Yeah that's what I'm getting. Worse now on mission 7. Glad it's not just me but it's pretty bad!

That's been distracting me from the start, it's like playing with an overheating graphics card or something. I got the PS4 version since I didn't fancy trying it with my GTX 960 given all the complaints but this version still seems to have its issues. Watch your footing if you go down to the Crone's Hand cellar, I fell through the level and into 'The Void' more than once down there!

Having gone through the original again a month or so back (and the DLC for the first time) I was feeling pretty confident so stuck it on hard, no waypoints and with the intention of gong for no kills first time around. I'm on mission 8 now and the only fly in the ointment has been a kill which I was totally baffled about in the Clockwork Mansion and fuck replaying that again straight away. I can see that stage being a massive ballache for anyone going for a pacifist run because there are just so many opportunities for the AI to get itself killed or for you to kill someone unknowingly somewhere else by pulling a lever or whatever. I've really enjoyed it for the most part though and playing as Emily has mixed things up a bit with the original so fresh in my mind.

Looking forward to playing it again further down the line after a graphics card upgrade and the rough edges (hopefully) smoothed out.

I was pretty obsessed with this up to mission 6 but 6 and 7 have really killed a lot of my enthusiasm.

And Emily is a rubbish character, though I don't have much hope for Corvo either, now that he's voice acted.

Thank you for the excellent dissection of your experiences, smac. Still haven't picked this up due to the stupid number of games being released right now. 

Obviously disappointing for me to read, of course, having been a huge fan of the original's scenic storytelling. Makes me wonder, why the change? Dishonoured was so confident and assured that it's quite odd they'd feel the need for monologues and such in the sequel. New writers, or perhaps Bethesda seeing the potential for an ongoing franchise and applying pressure to make it more accessible to newcomers? 

Out of curiousity, if the monologues were disabled, could the game's story survive without them or would it just make things worse? 

• Upvote 1

They add nothing.

At the end of one of the chapters (7) there's a story/lore reveal and then at the end she just goes "The World is so full of mystery." and it's such a stupid reaction to what's been revealed that it genuinely made me mad.

Regarding that bit:

Spoiler

Them telling you how the Outsider was created is emblematic of everything that smac has described as wrong with this game.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they made Corvo a silent protagonist because they didn't want his own thoughts and dialogue to conflict with what the player was doing, which by design was almost anything.

2 hours ago, Rsdio said:

That's been distracting me from the start, it's like playing with an overheating graphics card or something. I got the PS4 version since I didn't fancy trying it with my GTX 960 given all the complaints but this version still seems to have its issues.

Exactly that! thought my Pro was knackered. 

39 minutes ago, K said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that they made Corvo a silent protagonist because they didn't want his own thoughts and dialogue to conflict with what the player was doing, which by design was almost anything.

Makes sense. I find myself clashing with Emily like that every time she opens her stupid mouth.

Ach. My first play through of this made me feel like it wasn't a good sequel. I tried going for a full stealth run on the first go (my favourite way of finishing the first game), but I fucked up and saved after accidentally getting spotted, fairly early on, so I played the rest of the game with guns blazing. Really ruins the fun. I'm trying again, with full stealth/no kill, and I'm already enjoying it loads more (and making full saves more often)

I can't figure this out at all. I loved the first game and played through a number of times, plus I replayed the remastered version and thought it held up really well. I like the story in this one. The art style is great and the powers still satisfying to use. So why is it i'm having to force myself to play? I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't feel right or perhaps I just need a break from it. I'm at the Clockwork Mansion just now and while there's some really clever level design I've got no appetite to go on save for somehow feelign obliged. 

Odd.