Jump to content
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

Recommended Posts

I'll agree the effect wears off slightly over time, but to me something like Wipeout is a better game for VR same with Skyrim or Resi 7. You just notice a lot more of the world around you, and using a bow and arrow is obviously going to be more fun than pressing a button. In Wipeout you can see exactly what's coming, where to be for the speedpads etc. You can even SEE the airbreaks when you press them. I'd never get rid of mine even though it's not as amazing as it was at the beginning. HDTV isn't as mindblowing as it was at first either.

 

Don't do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dumpster said:

So many people say they cant be bothered with the wires.  It's one wire! You plug the headset into the breakout box and away you go! Are people disconnecting the breakout box when not using the headsets or something?

For those with HDR TVs and the V1 set it's a massive faff to switch between, say,  Wipeout and Farcry 5.

 

Also, PSVR had me nearly yanking out the Playstation when playing Superhot  because my foot kept getting caught on the wire.  

 

A wireless system in the future will be so much better for convenience. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dumpster said:

So many people say they cant be bothered with the wires.  It's one wire! You plug the headset into the breakout box and away you go! Are people disconnecting the breakout box when not using the headsets or something?

I know, mine is plugged in all the time, I literally just put it on, takes about 2 mins. As for some not finding it emersive any more, they must be dead inside. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my PSVR confident that it would never become a mass market success, buy also knowing that I wanted to be a part of the ride.  Microsoft's Kinect had the most incredible success for a peripheral item, yet didn't get that much support overall and people got bored and moved on. It still sold in the millions but ultimately became a bit of a white elephant. 

 

I really , really like the VR. It impresses me with every new game, and Wipeout feels like the first time they've said, "right, we've been out a year, let's go nuts".  I'd say that, especially with the recent price drop, the amount you'd get for selling your VR set second hand is not worth the enjoyment you get when there's something new to try.

 

PSVR is ultimately surely going to be a product that is out of date fairly quickly, and sometimes you do notice that you've not played it for a while. But then you get it plugged in and it just blows you away every time.  Why would you not want to be at this party while it lasts?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cos it’s three am, and I’m the guy stood by the kitchen sink, feeling a bit queasy and remembering how amazing the party was that first hour, and the people still having fun are telling me that if I keep drinking I can recapture the magic.

 

Or something.

 

I expect I’ll keep it and buy Moss next. I mean, you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Whats Lethal VR like? Its only £3.49 in the sale. Looks quite fun, like Hogans Ally for the VR gen.

 

I picked it up in the last sale and quite enjoyed it. The aiming is very accurate for the most part with the move controllers and it somehow manages to rekindle the urge to beat hight scores. 

 

It's not very long but the scores aspect gives it replay value - well worth a few quid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dumpster said:

So many people say they cant be bothered with the wires.  It's one wire! You plug the headset into the breakout box and away you go! Are people disconnecting the breakout box when not using the headsets or something?

Thats what I'm thinking. Everything is already set up you just need to plug two cables together, its not that much of a faff on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is set up all the time. I just put it on and press the on button on the headset and I’m good to go. I don’t get the too many cables discussions - unless you’ve got hdr pass through issues.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Whats Lethal VR like? Its only £3.49 in the sale. Looks quite fun, like Hogans Ally for the VR gen.

 

very good fun (chek the third video for the accuracy)

 

 

[edit]

 

see also

 

 

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, noob said:

Are any of you done with RE7? I'm looking for a copy as cheap as possible. PM me?

I have a spare, will PM :-)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with the price drop I couldn’t resist, GT Sport is great but the graphics are a bit disappointing/blurry, however the feeling of elevation change wasn’t something I was expecting. The Nordschleife is amazing and once you’re racing you tend to forget the graphics. Today I bought Dirt Rally which is £15.99 for VR edition in the PSN sale and it is brilliant, in VR it really is something else and I’m only driving a Mini at the moment. Wipeout is definitely on the list with all the rave reviews here too although I want the digital version so will wait for the next sale (probably :) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, scoobysi said:

So with the price drop I couldn’t resist, GT Sport is great but the graphics are a bit disappointing/blurry, however the feeling of elevation change wasn’t something I was expecting. The Nordschleife is amazing and once you’re racing you tend to forget the graphics. Today I bought Dirt Rally which is £15.99 for VR edition in the PSN sale and it is brilliant, in VR it really is something else and I’m only driving a Mini at the moment. Wipeout is definitely on the list with all the rave reviews here too although I want the digital version so will wait for the next sale (probably :) ).

 

I can recommend the Rally Cross events in Dirt Rally VR. I hated them before but the sense of being in a race with cars all around you is great in VR.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I took advantage of the price drop and the Wipeout VR support to justify PSVR to myself, and now I own one.

 

What are the standout games to be thinking about? I already own Wipeout, Rez and Thumper (that all support VR.) Does my copy of Driveclub + Season Pass have VR in it already?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not been back to dirt rally vr since that first time. Which is probably just because my vr legs were not developed yet.

 

I should get back into that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

So I took advantage of the price drop and the Wipeout VR support to justify PSVR to myself, and now I own one.

 

What are the standout games to be thinking about? I already own Wipeout, Rez and Thumper (that all support VR.) Does my copy of Driveclub + Season Pass have VR in it already?

 

no, driveclub VR is a seperate title:

 

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA03296_00-XXXXXDRIVECLUBVR

 

a TWENTY FIVE POUND stand alone title or £16 upgrade if you

 

Quote

bought the DRIVECLUB™ Season Pass on PS4™ before 00:00 AM BST on Thursday 29th September 2016 can upgrade to DRIVECLUB™ VR from PlayStation®Store at a reduced price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2018 at 17:03, dave7g said:

I'll agree the effect wears off slightly over time, but to me something like Wipeout is a better game for VR same with Skyrim or Resi 7. You just notice a lot more of the world around you, and using a bow and arrow is obviously going to be more fun than pressing a button. In Wipeout you can see exactly what's coming, where to be for the speedpads etc. You can even SEE the airbreaks when you press them. I'd never get rid of mine even though it's not as amazing as it was at the beginning. HDTV isn't as mindblowing as it was at first either.

 

Don't do it!

 

It was Project CARS that sold me my Vive in the first place, especially in a closed cockpit car, I was using a wheel and I was actually having to convince myself it wasn't the same wheel as the one on the screen.

 

So yeah, driving games really benefit, actually really well because the low FOV of VR is only the same as a racing helmet anyway but the ability to look around is really helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

So I took advantage of the price drop and the Wipeout VR support to justify PSVR to myself, and now I own one.

 

What are the standout games to be thinking about? I already own Wipeout, Rez and Thumper (that all support VR.) Does my copy of Driveclub + Season Pass have VR in it already?

 

Assuming you have moves you have to get Superhot VR, probably the best use of VR there is and the tied in second place for best game on the system with Rez (both just behind Wipeout).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

So I took advantage of the price drop and the Wipeout VR support to justify PSVR to myself, and now I own one.

 

What are the standout games to be thinking about? I already own Wipeout, Rez and Thumper (that all support VR.) Does my copy of Driveclub + Season Pass have VR in it already?

 

Polybius

Resi

Moss

Eve

Farpoint

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Eve. Total waste of money. And I'd recommend getting your VR legs  before venturing into Farpoint and Skyrim. 

 

But I can't believe no one's mentioned Batman. 

 

@Uncle Mike Batman VR is an absolute must. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a little research into getting a HDMI passthrough box to sort out the issues with the PSVR V1 and HDR to a 4K telly and purchased the following -

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X92VTRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Does anyone know at what point I connect this? - is it before or after the PSVR breakout box - very confused!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I did a little research into getting a HDMI passthrough box to sort out the issues with the PSVR V1 and HDR to a 4K telly and purchased the following -

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X92VTRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Does anyone know at what point I connect this? - is it before or after the PSVR breakout box - very confused!?

 

Haven't done it myself, but assume it is before because the problem is the breakout box unable t pass through an HDR signal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danster said:

 

Haven't done it myself, but assume it is before because the problem is the breakout box unable t pass through an HDR signal.

 

indeed

 

though this leaves you two hdmi cables to plug into the telly, afterwards.

 

unless you don't care about the psvr social screen.

 

I'm lucky. My 4k set don't do hdr...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.