rubberducker

PlayStation VR

Haven't read about this at all on here... and thought if true it deserved a thread all of its own...

From Eurogamer....

PlayStation 4 VR headset finally coming at GDC - report

Sony's virtual reality bet just weeks from announce.

By Tom Phillips Published Friday, 21 February 2014

Sony's PlayStation 4 virtual reality headset will finally be unveiled next month at GDC 2014, a new report suggests.

TechRadar reports that the anticipated VR device will be formally announced at the San Francisco conference next month, which begins 17th March.

Like the Oculus Rift headset, the virtual reality visor will wrap a pair of screens onto the wearer's head. But, unlike Oculus, Sony is expected to have perfected the technology to a degree that multiple versions of the hardware won't need to be released.

"Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it," a source said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built."

Eurogamer broke news of the headset last September, when we learnt that it had originally been destined for a reveal at Gamescom 2013.

Its unveiling there was pulled, and its appearance delayed into 2014 - a moment that now sounds on the horizon.

When quizzed about the device last year, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida simply said: "We don't talk about that."

Edited by gospvg
removed release date/price info in title
  • Upvote 3

Interesting. Wonder how it'll stack up against the rift + all of its partners. Can Sony achieve Presence at a reasonable cost before Oculus..? I wonder indeed.

Interesting. Wonder how it'll stack up against the rift + all of its partners. Can Sony achieve Presence at a reasonable cost before Oculus..? I wonder indeed.

Given the lack of grunt of the PS4, I wouldn't be expecting much.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Its very unlikely due the power needed for presence as claimed by Valve's VR guy and Luckey from Oculus. Graphics will have to be scaled back. Existing games are not the best fit and VR games are best built from the ground up with VR in mind. The best VR experiences will come from the PC space and that's not only to do with power.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't necessarily believe that power is everything. The key to presence (as I understand it) is refresh, persistence, and response to movement. As long as those are at the sweet spot, you can be looking at some completely abstract geometry (the example in the Valve slides of the room made out of webpages comes to mind) and find it totally convincing.

Imagine VR games with trippy visuals like Rez. Not as demanding as things like Battlefield, but as long as the presence is working it doesn't matter; they'd still be more immersive (at a base neurological level) than anything you've played or experienced outside of the real world.

• Upvote 4

I really don't see this working as a consumer product yet, at least in the console space. I wouldn't be surprised if was cross-platform hardware, with the long view that 3D indie games developed for PC will wind up getting PS4 ports.

Yeah right, stereoscopic (or whatever) visuals of driveclub quality on a vr headset?

game over man, game over...

Why not? One or two games in the MotorStorm series could do stereoscopic 3D at acceptable framerates with loads of detail on the screen, and as Sony first party developers they surely get all the sweet stuff to try out. Makes sense really.

Paging Rushy to the thread.

Wish they'd just support Oculus Rift.

Otherwise I now have to buy a separate VR headset for my PC and my PS4 and Xbone to get a fair crack at the games. That's just bullshit.

• Upvote 1

USB/Bluetooth and PlayStation Eye for tracking I guess. Doesn't the latest Rift now use a camera?

I'm getting whichever one comes out first!

Sell it with CCP's EVE Valkyrie that they're working on and I'd say it has a chance of actually doing well.

Doubtful, it's being co-published by the Oculus dudes. Sony should get in talks with Oculus to come up with a bunch of standards, it would benefit both parties.

Wish they'd just support Oculus Rift.

Otherwise I now have to buy a separate VR headset for my PC and my PS4 and Xbone to get a fair crack at the games. That's just bullshit.

Never seen anyone mention MS are working on one. I think Sony's will be decent considering they've been working on it a while, and it's designed to work in perfect harmony with the PS4. It'll bring different games and experiences than the Oculus, and even so, many here aren't PC gamers so won't have that option available.

It's a ballsy decision as the market for a £250+ VR headset + £45 for the PS Camera is going to be very niche. Would be fun to see a new Jumping Flash on one though.

• Upvote 1

I think Sony's will be decent considering they've been working on it a while, and it's designed to work in perfect harmony with the PS4.

I wonder if it'll have something similar to nvidia's g-sync.