Amazon Prime Video

As far as I remember, the proportion of the ticket price changes as the film progresses through the theatrical run.

So for the first week the movie studio might get 90%, and then that drops to favour the cinema as the run continues. The cinema earns money throughout with extortionate mark-up on popcorn and soft drinks.

Edit: Did a google, and way off topic, but I found this quite interesting:

https://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/advice-support/how-to-start-a-cinema/

https://www.independentcinemaoffice.org.uk/advice-support/how-to-start-a-cinema/the-economics-of-the-operation/

• Upvote 1

High cost early rental really hurts the lone viewer. I like to visit the cinema occasionally on my own, often for a quiet showing (morning usually). At £10-£15 depending on cinema it’s a cost I’ll pay once a month or so. But I’m not paying £30 for that pleasure. The economics a different for a family. The home rental price probably works out similar or cheaper for them,

Get Duked! (aka Boyz in the Wood) got added to Amazon Prime today and it’s ace. Basically a bunch of naughty neds get forced to go on a Duke of Edinburgh weekend in the Scottish Highlands as punishment for their minor crimes and chaos ensues. Great if you like Shaun of the Dead/Hunt For The Wilderpeople/Attack the Block 

It also won the audience award at SXSW last year. Don’t sleep on it! 

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...

On the Smart TV app (Samsung) how do you select 4K videos?

On the Android app, is there any way to show the plain and 4K versions of films? For example when I view All Or Nothing on a phone it tells me it's 4K but I don't see the same on the TV app.

It's so inconsistent because I definitively remember The Grand Tour definitely had a separate HD and 4K version of all their programmes, and I had to ensure I find and put the 4K version on my Watchlist and watch it from there.

2 hours ago, Smoothy said:

On the Smart TV app (Samsung) how do you select 4K videos?

On the Android app, is there any way to show the plain and 4K versions of films? For example when I view All Or Nothing on a phone it tells me it's 4K but I don't see the same on the TV app.

It's so inconsistent because I definitively remember The Grand Tour definitely had a separate HD and 4K version of all their programmes, and I had to ensure I find and put the 4K version on my Watchlist and watch it from there.

If it's like the other Prime Video apps, which are just as annoying then you'll need to search specifically for the 4K version (or sometimes they call it the UHD version) and even then it might not show up. I've found the easiest way to do it is search on a PC browser and add it to your watchlist

Nope that's changed in the past two weeks btw. It should stream UHD if it's available . Without having to choose. Though as those of us who watched the boys S2 last week discovered, when lots of people are viewing it at the same time.  The stream downgrades and you end up with potatoe quality.  

Another random gem we stumbled across recently (after Comrade Detective, which nobody watched) - Bridget and Eamon, an Irish sitcom set in the 1980s.

1 minute in we thought 'this is going to be awful'. 5 minutes in, 'this is my new favourite sitcom!'.

4 seasons of 6 episodes each, getting increasingly daft.  It's probably well known in Ireland.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Smoothy said:

Hmmmm.... OK, so how do I check the stream when it's playing, is there an "info" option?  This is for both Android and the Smart TV app.

You can't is my understanding. Shambolic. 

Hey does anyone know why the movie Peppermint is no longer available on the platform? Very confused as it's their own production, so it seems odd to take it off. I sat to watch it with the missus last Saturday night and "sorry this item is not available currently" or some-such. Gits. I was in the mood for something sub-The Long Kiss Goodnight.

17 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Hey does anyone know why the movie Peppermint is no longer available on the platform? Very confused as it's their own production, so it seems odd to take it off. I sat to watch it with the missus last Saturday night and "sorry this item is not available currently" or some-such. Gits. I was in the mood for something sub-The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Probably an error give it a few days it will be back. Had the same with Blade Runner 4K recently.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, gospvg said:

Probably an error give it a few days it will be back. Had the same with Blade Runner 4K recently.

Ah right. I was worried they were trying to do a Disney and put in their wee magic film vault.