rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

Maybe I'll have better luck asking in here: has anyone else completely lost access to UHD/ 4K stuff on Amazon? 4K content used to be its own category but it seems to have gone, things like The Grand Tour are now only 1080p. The hell?

Haven't checked for a while but the 4K content was always hidden right at the bottom of the listings for me. No idea why they hide it and cannot just be like Netflix and stream the best quality automatically.

Just checked via the Amazon app on my smart tv and if you select the TV tab at the top, then 4K content such as The Grand Tour is the fifth row down.

Movies on the other hand seem to be hidden. No section on my app, and even if you go into a movie such as The Shape Of Water which is available in 4K, there's no option to rent or buy it in 4K.

• Upvote 1

They do keep A/B testing new layouts. I intermittently get a version that basically copies Netflix entirely. Currently its more like the old layout (LG TV app) and 4k TV you have to go TV on left menu. Then pick Prime 4K Ultra HD TV from the top horizontal menu.

If I search for "The Grand Tour" it only shows the two seasons in HD, and I see no way to play those in 4K

I've managed to find both seasons UHD now, no idea why I couldn't before, and it seems others are having similar issues. Such bizarre inconsistency. 

On the plus side, I like the X-ray feature which lets you select chapters so you can go straight to the segment you want and not have to fast forward through guff like Conversation Street or Celebrity Face Off. 

I had an email to say that Goliath season 2 is up on Prime.  I thought the first season was brilliant, Billy Bob Thornton is great in it, a very bingeable legal drama/thriller.

• Upvote 1

Just finished Goliath S2. Very strong series, maybe better than the first. Be prepared for a few genuinely spine chilling moments. This show and Startup are by far my favourite Amazon Originals.

One thing I would say though is that this series was a lot less focused on the legal/courtroom aspect than the first. It really plays out as more of a thriller. 

• Upvote 1

Is Goliath S2 in UHD? 

It's baffling how hard they make it to find their original shows. I watched the first season and the second is nowhere on my home listing. I can see season 1 in the UHD listing, but not 2. I can find 2 in the search, but seemingly nowhere else under TV, and that result is HD.

18 hours ago, Sartre84 said:

Just finished Goliath S2. Very strong series, maybe better than the first. Be prepared for a few genuinely spine chilling moments. This show and Startup are by far my favourite Amazon Originals.

One thing I would say though is that this series was a lot less focused on the legal/courtroom aspect than the first. It really plays out as more of a thriller. 

Have you tried Patriot? I thought that was absolutely brilliant, hoping a second series comes out eventually.

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, multiclunk said:

Do all their shows not automatically play in uhd or 4k if you watching on a uhd/4k set up?

No they list them all separately.

On 15/06/2018 at 06:45, Monkeyboy said:

The first three Lethal Weapon films are on there. Just watched them back to back over three nights.

I don’t remember them being that long! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Goliath S2 was fantastic, blitzed through it yesterday, better than the S1 in my book, dark as fuck though.

And the episode where...

Spoiler

He's being held hostage in the house was very Tarantino, in its weird characters, dialogue, build up and sudden release of violence :)

...and Brittany is so damn hot! :)

This is a nice surprise, the complete Alias collection now available on Prime.  I never did finish Season 5 so might pick it up again. 

Watched Patriot, thought it was bloody excellent.

I cannot believe this came out in 2015(?!) and I'd never even heard of it, starting watching it after seeing Minion recommend it above and then just could stop until I'd finished it.

So dark but so brilliantly put together. Its the first TV show I've watched in a long time, where I want to watch it again straight away.

Michael Dorman, Kurtwood Smith, Aliette Opheim and Terry O'Quinn   :wub:  So much bloody love for this show.

• Upvote 3

Unlike the UK, we don't get fancy new movies like that. However I notice some 80s fantasy type stuff has just been added. Any of these worth a punt?

Deathstalker

Deathstalker II

The Warrior and the Sorceress

Oh, I see Star Crash has gone up. I kind of feel I need to see that.

I watched hawk the slayer the other day... Oh Jesus...

and yes, star crash. Spaghetti space opera at its finest. Actually, its the worst. But it has David hasslehoff, so...

at least battle beyond the stars steals from the right films...

Got to the end of season 5 of The Americans and then find out that Amazon Prime doesn’t have season 6 yet. Same thing happened when I was binging Mad Men on Netflix for the last half season. 

Guess I’ll have to wait!

On 05/07/2018 at 15:45, Boozy The Clown said:

In case anyone's not watching Preacher.

I’ve heard good things about Preacher , but does the rest of the series rip off kingsman wholesale is it just that scene ?