Cricket Thread

I did think it was last night, it was a good evening sesssion. What I didn't expect is this morning to play out exactly like yesterday, Leach is bowling consistently and India are shaking.

Hell of a fightback this. I think it's still India's to lose, as England picked the wrong team by going with only one spinner.  What a time for Joe Root to step up and bowl like a frontline spinner though.  What a cricketer he is.

One of the cheapest ever five-fers! Nuts. 

I wonder if the lunch break is long enough for either side to work out how to bat on this. So far they've one player each who's done alright!

This is an incredible match, but the commentators are right, the minds of everybody seem gone. A few balls have really ripped, but most of the wickets are just really poor shots/decisions. Has Bairstow had his last chance now? And picking the extra pace bowler has been an awful decision and that's not hindsight talking, as an away team I don't think I'd ever want to only have one spinner in the sub-continent.

Still, makes for exciting watching!

Yeah, no-one is batting properly.

I can see the thinking behind picking three seamers, to be honest. In hindsight it was a mistake, but when I saw the teams yesterday morning I thought it was a good idea. England were considering the way the pink ball has behaved in previous day-night tests, when it has done a lot for seamers, particularly in the evenings. Our strength is our seam bowlers, so there was a logic to trying to maximize that. As things have worked out, it was a catastrophic error, of course.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whatever happens this pitch is a joke, hopefully England can settle down with these two at the crease.

Missed the two wickets popping into the garden!

I don't think it is though; the wickets yesterday were mainly people just missing the ball that skids on; a few more have turned today, but again it's not the fabled minefield. With some application people can score runs, as Crawley and Rohit have shown. I think players are *expecting* the pitch to do more than it is, and so playing for turn that isn't there.

Maybe, pretty extraordinary to see it happen to both teams though. That's just cricket though maybe.

I'm a big Bairstow fan but that's it for me I think. 

Just now, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, no-one is batting properly.

I can see the thinking behind picking three seamers, to be honest. In hindsight it was a mistake, but when I saw the teams yesterday morning I thought it was a good idea. England were considering the way the pink ball has behaved in previous day-night tests, when it has done a lot for seamers, particularly in the evenings. Our strength is our seam bowlers, so there was a logic to trying to maximize that. As things have worked out, it was a catastrophic error, of course.

Yeah, I can understand the thinking behind it, but I think from the last match you could probably guess India would still try and set up a turning pitch, so the benefit for the seamers was only ever going to be quite circumstantial (and would've needed England to bat long in the first innings to then be able to start attacking later today.)

Anyway, who doesn't love a tight, low-scoring game? It's compulsive watching :) 

You can see the deviation of the ball, sure, but it really did look like pad-bat-pad and I don't think he'd have many complaints if it had been given. The fact he was asking if he was outside the line (and the lack of instant review), to me, suggests he thought it was pad first. It was another straight ball that was missed though.

Regardless, he needs to make it count now and this is making work really hard to focus on :lol:

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

You can see the deviation of the ball, sure, but it really did look like pad-bat-pad and I don't think he'd have many complaints if it had been given. The fact he was asking if he was outside the line (and the lack of instant review), to me, suggests he thought it was pad first. It was another straight ball that was missed though.

Regardless, he needs to make it count now and this is making work really hard to focus on :lol:

Yeah, the angle they showed after I posted made it look like it could have been pad-bat-pad!  I don't think Root's reaction before reviewing is relevant - he seemed not to realise he had hit it at all, and replays proved that he definitely had.  It could potentially be a huge moment though.

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'd guess hitting leg or umpire's call.  I'd like to see it again though, and I think it was worth a review.

Yeah, I'm getting annoyed that haven't shown the tracking. Definitely worth a review though, given the situation of the game.

Edit: Okay, out, but still would've been worth it just to be sure.

My god, how can nobody seriously play a straight ball?!

India will have about 50 to knock-off, tops, at this rate. Although who knows, maybe the seamers will blast them out for no runs under the lights :lol: