Cricket Thread

Frankly, he shouldn't be third umpire in another international match after this. He's not even close to being up to the standard. That's three decisions he's cocked up. The stumping could have gone either way, but we'll never know because he didn't have a close enough look and instead made a quick decision as if the batsman had never  left the crease. The other two show a lack of understanding of what was even being appealed for, which is astonishing.

India's No. 8 batsman, Ashwin getting more runs in the second innings than England are likely to. 

Someone shower this thread with optimism, I feel a (temporary) return to those horrendous batting performances of yesteryear.

5 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

India's No. 8 batsman, Ashwin getting more runs in the second innings than England are likely to. 

Someone shower this thread with optimism, I feel a (temporary) return to those horrendous batting performances of yesteryear.

Did you watch the last match? England were quite good.

1 hour ago, Stopharage said:

There have been questions around the strength of the batting for at least a year/18 months and yet the team still win test matches. We probably aren't as good as the first test implied, nor as bad as this wlkne will make us look.

Youd also have to think that having Jimmy (and perhaps Woakes?) under the lights could be interesting. 

The swing movement is going to be relatively short term, right? So we either skittle them too, or get a couple of early wickets and then sit watching as our seam bowlers flog themselves into the ground and we occasionally (but at a far slower rate than the Indians did) get a wicket from spin.

I think the team selection stuff is something we just have to live with, it's the only way to play this many tests over the coming year, and the T20 world cup. The rewards are potentially great, just not so much at the start of the process. And obviously they screwed it up badly with Moeen, not for the first time.

The team selection certainly is odd at times, for sure. I can understand Burns being dropped - he's in poor form anyway and I've never really rated him all that much as an opener (even before his recent stretch of non-scores), but I don't really get Dan Lawrence being given the short-shrift. If the selectors think he has something about him, he should be told to learn his game without pressure this series, but has been dropped rather unfairly in my opinion. It's not as if anybody could come out of the last game with any credit. I get that Bairstow traditionally is good against spin, but his Test game has been middling at best for a long time, so that does feel a bit of a retrograde step.

For the spinners, too, I get why only one was picked but, by the same token, how is Bess going to improve unless he's being tested against the best? A long tail is fine if your top order is firing, but when was the last time England had the top-six (or even top-four) all got platforms in the same innings? It's been the whole "50-ish for 3" for so long now it's become almost a parody.

I do feel England seems to have fallen back into that trap of ejecting players after a poor match again, which brings back horrors of the 90s.

Oh well, can only hope to try and make this result respectable - at this point, making India bat again would be a good outcome!

2 hours ago, milko said:

The swing movement is going to be relatively short term, right? So we either skittle them too, or get a couple of early wickets and then sit watching as our seam bowlers flog themselves into the ground and we occasionally (but at a far slower rate than the Indians did) get a wicket from spin.

hmm, ok, not a couple of early wickets. Nice economy but this is looking a bit grim!

Well this is a nice little comeback, but it really doesn't look like a 12+ wickets a day pitch, I don't think anybody has been out to an unplayable delivery, have they? Just some awful shot selection and failing to pick the one that skids on.

Obviously India's day all the way, even the wicket at the end isn't really all that much to cheer about. It will need a really good start with a mini-collapse of their own to keep this match in any way competitive.

@feltmonkeyI thought that looked quite clearly grounded to be honest, so I can understand why they wouldn't go to stump cam.