Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

7 hours ago, Sirloin said:

I agree but there’s a difference between ball tampering and spot fixing. One is a lot better defined than the other for a start. Loads of players chew mints/wine gums and so on to treat one side of the ball, Bancroft was putting sugar in his pocket during the breaks during the Ashes and England certainly do similar. Earlier this match Cummins was deliberately standing on the ball to rough it up, which seems to have been forgotten in all of this. Whether or not a whole range of things is ball tampering is very much up to interpretation. The ICC seem to have jumped into this very quickly now, and a lot of people are using this as a branch to flog the Aussies with, which is very amusing. That’s the best punishment really, they are so po-faced about being the moral arbiters of the game that being shown up as the biggest dicks is funny.

Theres a difference between mints and orange sandpaper that you then chuck down your trousers before showing the umpire something entirely different.

As ever, it’s not the offence, it’s the unashamed lack of interest in even pretending to the media that the cover up was embarrassingly transparent... that’s the problem.

• Upvote 1

Next up, Dave Brailsford’s three dope-bag monte. To be carried out in front of the media at each rest day during the Giro.

Impeccable cursing from myself there, all out after a decent go of it. Would have been a travesty if they had saved the Test.

EDIT: That’s now no win in 12 away from home, with 10 losses.

• Upvote 1

Warner getting most of the blame now, doubt he’ll play a Test for Australia again. Smith must be gone too, his silence I think is more testament to the fact that he’s as thick as a bag of spanners more than anything else. Lehman probably going too. All seems to have got a bit overblown to me though.

yeah, if they're actually ending the international careers of these guys that does seem rather OTT, even if they are not exactly likeable guys and they have handled the fallout terribly.  The stuff about 'members of the leadership group' being responsible when apparently some of them knew nothing about it and are now very pissed off is kinda boggling.

Can/would they just stop them playing tests? I would've thought a suspension from all forms is more likely, but I've zero insight beyond what the various newspapers and twitterers say.

If you look at it as just the ball tampering, then I think it has a bit. I think it's the combination of the ball tampering, getting the most junior player to do it, the coach sending on a warning about Bancroft being caught on camera, him getting caught hiding the tape down his bags in glorious slow motion, Smith hiding behind the "Leadership Team" decision and then their behaviour even before that day. It's been a long time coming.

• Upvote 1

Well yeah, not saying it’s not pleasurable to watch. Warner is a complete twat and deserves everything that’s coming to him, but I like watching him bat and don’t see why this is suddenly a step too far. Worse things (in my opinion) happen and are massive hoo ha’s at the time and are then forgotten. There’s already a punishment for ball tampering in the laws, it’s five runs, it’s not five runs, a lifeban and the prime minister besmirching your character when he’s a massive cunt.

• Upvote 1

Agreed on all counts really (although five runs seems a bit tame really given the reaction it gets every time it happens). Still, it's the handling of it as much as the offence itself. If it turns out these 'leaders' leaned on Bancroft and then did all that weaselling about it... meh, suspend them for a bit and let them slink back as normal team members later, I think that'd do the job.

Dammit couldn't they have done it in the run-up to an Ashes series?

Did Bancroft get away without further punishment?  Did they decide that having to play the rest of the day with a piece of sandpaper in his jockstrap was punishment enough?

Not seen anything about him as yet, I think he’s getting the benefit of the doubt as a bigger boy made him do it sir, which is a bit pathetic as he’s 25, not 11.

whoah, I only read the Guardian liveblog thing of it, but sounds like the first press conference was a case of damage limitation and question avoidance more than anything!

Smith, Warner and Bancroft were the only people involved, so the management group was apparently just Smith and Warner? Seems a lot fishy.

Lehmann cleared of knowing anything about it

No penalties decided yet, come back tomorrow

Not gonna directly answer the question of "were they cheating"

I wonder if they're trying to do a bit of PR and see how this goes down before they actually decide on bans, like if the press are all "we hope they only get 3 matches" they can be lenient or something.

edit: thinking about it, cricket is full of third-person-using wankers in interviews, so maybe when Smith says something like "myself and the leadership group" he absolutely just means himself and Warner. Huh.

Rumours are the whole team is pissed of with Warner. If he is given a slap on the wrist it would tear that whole team apart.

I'm not really enjoying this, honest. Sad day for cricket and that....lol.

The guy sounded like he was going to burst into tears. Bit hard to believe it’s only the three of them, what was the whole walkie talkie thing about?

Yeah, someone off the pitch knew exactly what was going on.  Wasn't the twelfth man sent on with a message for Bancroft to hide the evidence?

• Upvote 1

Smith and Warner dropped by their IPL teams, that will hurt them more financially than anything CA end up doing. Bit annoyed as SRH are screwed now.

• Upvote 1

I think its the premediated nature of it plus some lack of remorse that account for the ban. I was expecting 3 - 6 month ban at most.

• Upvote 1

Gets them both back in the team for the World Cup/Ashes if so desired. Be interesting if they try and get county contracts now as they won’t have much other opportunity to play four day cricket in the meantime. Bancroft already down to play for Somerset I think.

Given the amount of sponsorship apparently being cut from CA and the players, this is getting very expensive. Properly snowballed out of all proportion. Lehmann saying they're going to try and play like New Zealand from now on, instead of being dislikable assholes that everyone wants to suffer. Good fucken luck, and all that!

(but seriously it would be nice if cricket got a bit friendlier again)

• Upvote 1

There's a few local reasons as to why this has blown up.

The main two?

1. Sport is the most important thing in Australia. Above everything else.

2. The Australian myth of the "fair go."

I won't go too much into the politics of it all but if you want a taste this is a pretty good summing up.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cheating-at-cricket-just-one-of-the-unthinkable-things-aussies-do-now-20180327-p4z6fc.html

I can’t see why people are so shocked to discover our cricketers have been cheating. Surely that’s only to be expected in a nation that’s drifted so far from our earlier commitment to decency, mateship and the fair go.

Such behaviour is unAustralian? We do, or condone, many things that used to be thought of as unAustralian.

The punishment is harsh because they were caught. And it's caused us all to have a bit of a look at ourselves and find ourselves wanting. Which is why these lads are going to be our new whipping boys, the harder we punish them the more we can say "we're not all like that."

• Upvote 1