mrsnrub

Gunpla: The Thread

2 hours ago, amc said:

I said to myself no more but who the fuck was I kidding. U.K seller and it was cheaper than I could find from Japan so blow it. Was a bit hairy at the weekend as had a little shindig and one girl took to flicking them over, she was quickly reprimanded but I still had to try and find a tiny ariel from one of their heads the next morning hungover before I could vacuum. Can't wait to knock him together.

And @Chindie , c'mon, pics man.

20180719_105154 (1).jpg

I'll hopefully out some photos up by the end of the summer. The house is still a tip as work is done and I don't really have anywhere to photograph any of them. Plus most of them are currently boxed back up, the Aile Strike being the only one still out I think.

I did paint and decal the Hazel in the meantime. Fairly happy with it, bar 2 things. Firstly whilst doing the main decal on the shield it completely fucked up and was unrecoverable :( I ended up replacing it with a third party decal from the Wondwoort I think, which isn't great, but it was the only large decal I had that even vaguely fitted in. Really not happy about that.

The other issue is that I seem to have lost the waist armour piece. I primed it, and between then and doing the decals its vanished :(.

For the time being all work is stopped though as my house is in even worse state than usual with prep for plastering and whatnot.

But eventually there will be some photos of my crappy work in here.

• Upvote 1

Yeah life has a habit of getting in the way of one's hobbies :(, especially when the hobby includes frigging finicky decals. Look forward to some future pics.

My friend bought me two HG Iron Blooded Orphans. Astaroth Rinascimento and Vual.

I really enjoyed putting them together and learned a couple of things along the way.

I'd never been in to Gundam before but I started looking for my next kit to build straight away.

As it was my friend's birthday I used that as an obvious excuse to buy two HG RX78-2 kits, one each. Lovely kit with that classic 70s look.

So what next? Well, wanting to run before I could crawl, I took a bit of a shine to a nice 1/100 MG Epyon. A real step up with a much more complicated build and a twin headed dragon transformation.

My building skill and dilligence leave a lot to be desired and I still haven't got around to buying some sort of top coat which feels like a mistake. But yeah, I love it.

Here's my latest. Not quite finished.

RG Gundam MkII A.E.U.G. RX178

5MjsqzY.jpg

BTDeU0n.jpg

ce3oixD.jpg

ZqiSZto.jpg

I love it. :D

• Upvote 5

I really like the RG RX178. I built the Titans version, which then my first painted build (i.e. paint pig). The only RG I've built, I kinda like the MG scale more, but I really appreciated the detail and intricacy in that scale. I might get another eventually as another experiment piece. But first I've got to build the Full Armour ver Ka and the Banshee ver Ka first I think.

On the plus side I managed to find the waist armour for the Hazel. Somehow it ended up under my compressor...

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping to get some weathering done on the Hazel this week. Originally I wanted that as a clean build but there's many sins that need fixing... So this gives me a chance to try to emulate Naoki's weathering style, which is deceptively a simple but looks so good. I will fail, but I will try. Then hide my failure with more weathering. I might get some photos up of it and the Aile Strike (allowing for the fact they'll be taken on a hideous sofa not long for this world...). Maybe. 

I also might prime up the MG RX78-2 v.3, because why not.

And in clearing bits of the house up I found a spare set of Bandai water slides for the Aile Strike, which is nice.

• Upvote 1

Did you start weathering that kit yet? Be good to see those pictures. 

Still unsure about what to get next. It's out of 3 RGs; Astray Red Frame, Strike or Freedom.

Well the plan today was to finish priming the RX78, then to gloss the Hazel and begin weathering it once it was dry.

But coming to do the priming earlier my airbrush isn't working properly and nothing I do re. cleaning and dis and reassembly helps. So I get out my other new airbrush and their it has a different connection to the hose, which is fine I just need to get it off, but I can't get it to budge. 

I'm also stressed to fuck so before the lot goes out the window I think gundam-ing today is off the cards.

In the meantime the Hazel looks like this

TkLqXaD.jpg

• Upvote 1

The airbrush gives you more flexibility and let's you do more techniques, and in the long run it's cheaper. On the downside it's more hassle and has a learning curve (that I'm still on).