mrsnrub

Gunpla: The Thread

2 hours ago, amc said:

I said to myself no more but who the fuck was I kidding. U.K seller and it was cheaper than I could find from Japan so blow it. Was a bit hairy at the weekend as had a little shindig and one girl took to flicking them over, she was quickly reprimanded but I still had to try and find a tiny ariel from one of their heads the next morning hungover before I could vacuum. Can't wait to knock him together.

And @Chindie , c'mon, pics man.

20180719_105154 (1).jpg

I'll hopefully out some photos up by the end of the summer. The house is still a tip as work is done and I don't really have anywhere to photograph any of them. Plus most of them are currently boxed back up, the Aile Strike being the only one still out I think.

I did paint and decal the Hazel in the meantime. Fairly happy with it, bar 2 things. Firstly whilst doing the main decal on the shield it completely fucked up and was unrecoverable :( I ended up replacing it with a third party decal from the Wondwoort I think, which isn't great, but it was the only large decal I had that even vaguely fitted in. Really not happy about that.

The other issue is that I seem to have lost the waist armour piece. I primed it, and between then and doing the decals its vanished :(.

For the time being all work is stopped though as my house is in even worse state than usual with prep for plastering and whatnot.

But eventually there will be some photos of my crappy work in here.

• Upvote 1

Yeah life has a habit of getting in the way of one's hobbies :(, especially when the hobby includes frigging finicky decals. Look forward to some future pics.

My friend bought me two HG Iron Blooded Orphans. Astaroth Rinascimento and Vual.

I really enjoyed putting them together and learned a couple of things along the way.

I'd never been in to Gundam before but I started looking for my next kit to build straight away.

As it was my friend's birthday I used that as an obvious excuse to buy two HG RX78-2 kits, one each. Lovely kit with that classic 70s look.

So what next? Well, wanting to run before I could crawl, I took a bit of a shine to a nice 1/100 MG Epyon. A real step up with a much more complicated build and a twin headed dragon transformation.

My building skill and dilligence leave a lot to be desired and I still haven't got around to buying some sort of top coat which feels like a mistake. But yeah, I love it.

Here's my latest. Not quite finished.

RG Gundam MkII A.E.U.G. RX178

5MjsqzY.jpg

BTDeU0n.jpg

ce3oixD.jpg

ZqiSZto.jpg

I love it. :D

• Upvote 5

I really like the RG RX178. I built the Titans version, which then my first painted build (i.e. paint pig). The only RG I've built, I kinda like the MG scale more, but I really appreciated the detail and intricacy in that scale. I might get another eventually as another experiment piece. But first I've got to build the Full Armour ver Ka and the Banshee ver Ka first I think.

On the plus side I managed to find the waist armour for the Hazel. Somehow it ended up under my compressor...

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping to get some weathering done on the Hazel this week. Originally I wanted that as a clean build but there's many sins that need fixing... So this gives me a chance to try to emulate Naoki's weathering style, which is deceptively a simple but looks so good. I will fail, but I will try. Then hide my failure with more weathering. I might get some photos up of it and the Aile Strike (allowing for the fact they'll be taken on a hideous sofa not long for this world...). Maybe. 

I also might prime up the MG RX78-2 v.3, because why not.

And in clearing bits of the house up I found a spare set of Bandai water slides for the Aile Strike, which is nice.

• Upvote 1

Did you start weathering that kit yet? Be good to see those pictures. 

Still unsure about what to get next. It's out of 3 RGs; Astray Red Frame, Strike or Freedom.

Well the plan today was to finish priming the RX78, then to gloss the Hazel and begin weathering it once it was dry.

But coming to do the priming earlier my airbrush isn't working properly and nothing I do re. cleaning and dis and reassembly helps. So I get out my other new airbrush and their it has a different connection to the hose, which is fine I just need to get it off, but I can't get it to budge. 

I'm also stressed to fuck so before the lot goes out the window I think gundam-ing today is off the cards.

In the meantime the Hazel looks like this

TkLqXaD.jpg

• Upvote 1

The airbrush gives you more flexibility and let's you do more techniques, and in the long run it's cheaper. On the downside it's more hassle and has a learning curve (that I'm still on).

Bit of an update.

MG RX-78-2 v3 - painted, decalled, glossed, hopefully panel lined in the next few days and maybe some very very minor weathering to come. I'm pretty happy with this, my only issue being some bad paint scraping on the Core Fighter when putting it together, so that'll need some heavier weathering.

MG Hazel Custom - painted, decalled, glossed, panel lined, still needs weathering to hide some sins but hoping to do that this weekend. Still plan to do the Naoki style, but I won't succeed. Also still gutted about the shield decal :(

MG Banshee ver Ka - snap built. For an older kit, with complex 'transformation', it's surprisingly good. Somewhat limited articulation and they did gold paint on the v fin with one of the worst nub placements I've ever seen, and it's a pig to transform in some ways (the chest extension would not work on the left side, I had to literally take it apart to make it move), but it's impressive in both forms. Shame it doesn't come with the parts to do the Norn variant. Will be a cracking model when painted and decalled

Geara Doga - really really nice kit. It's a big chunky Zaku, what's not to love? Imposing, bit flashier than the Zaku, lots of big parts. Thoroughly recommended as it's a really fun build. Even avoids the infamous Zaku beads by giving you rubber-esque piping parts. Looking forward to painting this one

RG Unicorn - the RG Unicorn was lauded as the best version of the Unicorn that's been released, and the best RG kit at the time (it's been succeeded by the RG Sazabi now, which I will have.. I have the decals already..). I can see why. I've built the MG Banshee obviously and like that kit, but the RG Unicorn is just great. Full transformation in a 1/144 kit, and it's solid as fuck in both forms? Excellent. Has a super subtle take on the famous RG colour separation, and just looks great. It's also suitably big for an RG, as the Unicorn is meant to be fairly tall in the Gundam stakes. When transformed I'd reckon it's nudging some small MG kits for height.

I'll get some (bad) photos of the Hazel and grandad Gundam once I finish them, all being well.

Also, the girlfriend got me a PG RX178 as a very unexpected birthday gift... Which I'm itching to get cracking on.

Bad photos of the MG Hazel Custom. It's not had a matte top coat, and I'm not that happy with the weathering, as it's a bit more crude than I'd like and it's not really Naoki style (in places it's almost there but then the chipping is way too heavy elsewhere). And you can tell it's kinda half arsed in places as I just wanted to finish it, down to some areas not being weathered at all.

But for a learning piece I kinda like it. Bar the shield. That damn decal...

7weCZ5D.jpg

OQTli4r.jpg

rARBafc.jpg

wc2RSxH.jpg

PZ6fS4h.jpg

ZnzIS2y.jpg

• Upvote 7

Thanks. I'm fairly happy with it in all honesty but it's not quite what I wanted it to be.

I've basically got the RX-78-2 V3 done now as well. That's probably not going to be weathered at all really, but I'm pretty happy with it. Might get some photos up later on.

• Upvote 1

MG RX-78-2 3.0

j8C2YAG.jpg

12b4dLE.jpg

ZNhkYBQ.jpg

Mostly finished. I'm not that happy with the panel lining, it's way too subtle, and the colours ended up too vastly different for the RG style gradients of white/grey, but it's not bad. I really like this design, and would emulate it should I ever do a PG version. The photos dying really show it, but I am really happy with how the eyes came out on this one. I did a reverse wash but this time it really, really worked well with the candy yellow underneath. In the right light they absolutely pop.

Overall reasonably happy.

• Upvote 3

RG RX-178 Titans

300my85.jpg

4Q7ZHng.jpg

ArvkN9Z.jpg

Ndy6F0Z.jpg

This was my second Gundam build and my first painted build, and sorta became a paint pig. Fully brush painted with Citadel paints. Definitely errors on it, the 2 blues aren't distinct enough, the shield connection broke during painting so is very loose, the eye sticker fucked up as it was placed so I had to fudge it looking like it had been damaged, the weathering is a bit too heavy handed and simple (though it was my first attempt). Overall though, is a really good model, a really good design, and looks descent I think. I now have the PG of the MkII (snapped together too >_>) and already have the RG style decals for it. Making it RG style will be harder than expected so I might try my hand at a resin conversion...

• Upvote 3

MG Aile Strike ver. RM

uLGFeKM.jpg

z1RLfNA.jpg

zhMsJXx.jpg

r22mb5D.jpg

6CsZ3hb.jpg

Zb4LwHh.jpg

fKjiJ55.jpg

My first Gundam kit, and the first I airbrushed. Initially I wasn't too happy with this as the colours are very dark and subdued, due to a black primer as I initially was going to go completely metallic with the paint. But it's grown in me a lot. There's errors obviously but with this one I think it looks good enough you don't notice - the shield was a nightmare to paint and lead to a really bad paint error in the red, but it kinda looks like damage when you see it (not sure if it comes across in the photos). This was also the first and only kit I have gunk washed, which gives it the very dirty appearance and dulls things down even more. I like it. There's a little paint chipping, again which is simplistic and heavy handed in places but not too bad.

This is my favourite Gundam design I think, and this is also the best kit I've done so far I think.

• Upvote 3

None painted stuff recently built

RG OO Raiser - this kit has actually made me like the OO Raiser. Really solid, good looking, lots of options (even if most of them are dumb IMO), fun build. Can't ask for much more.

MG Kampfer - an old kit and you can really, really tell. The newer kits blow it out of the water in design and mechanics. But I really like the Kampfer design and therefore I don't care. Fairly easy build, looks nice, reasonably cheap, can't complain too much. Also has weapons for days.

PG RX-178 MKII Titans - my first PG, and holy shit. It's big. And heavy. The hip joint is built around a big chunk of metal, big enough you could put it in a sock and brain someone with it. You can tell it's an older build, the instructions aren't quite as good as they've become, it's very reliant on screws, the shield mechanism is a bastard (I actually got it to the point where it just about worked and moved on, it's a pain in the arse to build), it has surprisingly low amounts of surface detail making it even more stark in it's design... But I can't deny I liked building it, and it has presence. When I come to paint it I've got RG style decals for it, and possibly might look at resin conversions, because I really think this thing with the style of the RG would be fucking astounding. It also has simple LEDs built in, and early versions of the RG prebuilt jointed sections, which are still like witchcraft.

• Upvote 1

Started building the Psycho Zaku.

Holy shit at the size of the main booster on the back of it. It's like a beer can.

Has an absurd number of weapons too. 3 bazookas plus 2 more that are just spare bits on the sprues, a unique launcher thing, a bunch of grenades, and I think there's a machine gun in there as well. As well as a couple of tomahawks. It has the weaponry of about 4 standard kits.

Things going to be absolutely enormous.

• Upvote 1

Finished the Psycho Zaku. It's enormous. It's well over a foot long. The suit itself is just a high mobility Zaku 2 with some additional armour, which is a great kit but still, you're basically paying for the 'backpack', which is outright silly. You literally hang weapons off it - 2 machine guns, 4 ammo drums, 3 grenade things, 3 bazookas - and the entire thing is like a puzzle with struts and clips holding everything. It's kinda imposing. 

Not one I'll paint for a while I think, but I'm looking forward to doing it. I left off the vinyl covers for the energy pipes with a view to them going on one the whole thing is done, and I'm quite looking forward to decalling it, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.

Criticism mainly comes down to posing it. I've found the arms to be very loose, to the extent it barely can hold its other weapon, the beam launcher thing, I don't know whether they'll improve with the vinyl covers perhaps tightening things up, but suspect I'll need to do something with those joints in time. Also the very nature of thing being attached to this enormous backpack limits what you can do with it regardless.

Built the MG Jesta over the weekend. 

Awesome, awesome kit. It's a grunt suit, but it's basically the ultimate grunt suit. It's great, it has a few nods to being a GM variant, GM Sniper style head, basic armament, but it also has bits of Unicorn styling with feet and armour more complex than any normal GM. It's also very, very solid, every joint feels great.

Looking forward to getting it painted.

I've also started prep to get the RG OO Raiser painted. I was stuck for which to paint next, but it's size and the opportunity to try some stuff with the clear panels swung it. Plus I'm bizarrely looking forward to decalling it.

The lessons from that will hopefully help with the Nu Gundam ver Ka, which was also in the running bit needs a repair to it's psycho frame (:()and I wasn't sure about how to do the psycho frame anyway, either to use the foil stickers behind it or try to paint/metallise behind them instead. Or just candy paint it. I really want to finish off that build though, I love the look of the Nu.

Also in the running was the Freedom 2.0, which is just cool, the Sinanju Stein, which is a design I love but I'm unsure about the colour choice when painting it ultimately, and the Banshee ver Ka, which will look great when it's done but has some awkward bits to prep.

So 00 it is. Very likely it's going to be gunk washed ultimately too, I think the design benefits from adding detail as the suits from that series really have very simplistic and blocky looks.