TehStu

No Man's Sky

I found my old back up save on a USB stick to resurrect my dead traveller. The save had my previous ship but wasn’t too far back. 

Has anyone loading up an old save found a way to get their free freighter yet? Also what does the new launch thruster fuel look like in its raw form? I’ve lost my nice safe, temperate planet to play around and learn on so don’t have time to muck about!

Just now, Pob said:

Has anyone loading up an old save found a way to get their free freighter yet? 

Yup. I posted it spoilered yesterday.

Launch thruster fuel is dyhydrogen (The small blue crystals) and one metal sheet (Made from ferrite dust. The replacement for iron).

• Upvote 1

Spent a few hours with this last night having last played it maybe a year ago. I had over 100 hours logged and had reached the centre / most disappointing end of game ever.

A few initial impressions from continuing my game on base ps4.

- Most of my upgrades are all turned into junk so my jetpack, multitool, ship are all mega nerfed. :(

- All of my nanites are gone so can't buy stuff to fix the above

- First planet was a paradise, Woo! but other than the much improved flying over the terrain it wasn't a very good planet

- Terrible slow down and juddering when flying and especially boosting near a planet surface, even get this on barren rocky ones. This is really not acceptable on a fixed console platform.

- Wish I had turned network feature off before starting as when I later did so to get rid of an annoying fucker from following me around I was still seeing his location and discoveries popping up. Hopefully a restart will mean I'm alone from now on.

- Wish there was a tutorial for returning players / the new systems without having to start a new game.

- Still need to try out my old freighter and base so looking forward to that and working out how the new stuff works.

Overall currently underwhelmed/ 10

Has anyone found any drop pod navigational data yet? Seems to be a lot harder to hunt down drop pods on planets now.

The teleporter menus are still confusing me. Yesterday one of my options was my second base. Now it's my freighter that's currently in that system.

Also I don't know if you could do it before but now you can summon your freighter into the atmosphere. Which looks super badass hanging there

• Upvote 1

Managed a quick look last night so take these thoughts as those of an impatient tired overheating fanboy.

My ‘forever ship’ (lol) has had a minor cosmetic makeover and still flys the same - however they seem to have gotten rid of the ability to fully stop in the air (something I didn’t like initially after the last big update but have grown used to). I started in a Space Station because the system has completely changed taking my old base with it. I had a quick fly about and aside from the novelty of a ringed planet they all look worse to my eyes. Everything is overly muddy and the light just seems off. A period of adjustment clearly needed, I certainly approve of the change to the plants I encountered, the giant bulb plants are neat. Having third person is great for giving everything a sense of scale. 

Here is me after a quick space suit redesign chilling with the Golden Condor.

F11CFEA3-B5FA-47D1-AC94-CBB9B3898445.thumb.jpeg.bae306e59de12d28a1627cebaefb0ac8.jpeg

The only other discovery was on the ship part of the menu you can call down all your previously acquired ships. They used to live in my freighter, not sure where they reside now but very glad they carried over - despite the colour changes.

Here is a couple I called down for a quick picture before hitting the hay.

0223C131-F67E-4AFB-A6E0-B59044AD0301.thumb.jpeg.e4bf7278db2ec8227fdaf2e9cc55bf21.jpeg

So yeah, desperate to dig in and learn about all the new materials and build a base once I find a Paradise Planet.

Well done Hello Games!

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

All of my nanites are gone so can't buy stuff to fix the above

Top tip. Go to a planet and use your visor to find buried tech. Dig them up with the terrain manipulator. These will either be stuff you can sell or just as often 30-50 nanites and the fucking things are all over the shop. Almost everything that you buy with nanites also seems far cheaper than it was previously and also includes stuff you had to do shitty quests to get before (Like hazmat gauntlets and the advanced mining laser)

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

How do you do emotes? Met some random on my starter planet, they gave me the Fonzie double thumbs up and I just stood there like a lemon.

I then compounded my embarrassment by trying to get into their nearby ship rather than my own. They went back to mining, and I shuffled off, red-faced within my spacesuit.

Press down on the d pad, and you can navigate to the gestures :)

• Upvote 1

Xbox1X impressions:

- there’s a quality mode and a performance mode

- there’s an option to lock framerate

- there’s the new clouds

- scale is much better

- third person means I can play it from my couch

most importantly, quality + lock framerate isn’t stuttering regardless of where I go or look, which I’ve not previously been able to say on my relatively Monsterous PC (though there I’d have been aiming for a lower resolution and higher framerate). which makes a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

It seems there's a lot of reports of stuttering and such on PS4. Any impressions on the Pro version or PC? Which one to go for? Or wait for a patch?

Last night I had one hard crash and plenty of stuttering sound. The inventories hitch as you move between them too. This is on Pro.

• Upvote 1

PC: I had one crash this morning but it was on loading so I didn’t lose anything. Loads of stuttering when loading shaders but smooth as anything when actually in game. :) 

Am I supposed to start some distance from my ship, then?   My starting planet is ultra-cold so I'm dying before being able to find any element to recharge my hazard protection! :( 

:D

• Upvote 1

Just now, robdood said:

Am I supposed to start some distance from my ship, then?   My starting planet is ultra-cold so I'm dying before being able to find any element to recharge my hazard protection! :( 

:D

hazard protection is sodium. It'll show up in as a yellow icon when you do a scan. Small yellow plants. You can also hide in a cave or under a big enough ledge until it recharges.

2 minutes ago, robdood said:

But I can't scan because my scanner is broken. 

You wanna fix your scanner there mate :) You should have started right next to your ship though where you can hop in and warm up.

1 minute ago, robdood said:

(btw I have played this for 100 hours back on the vanilla version)

Sounds like you hit a bug. I'd just start again since you're so early on.

16 minutes ago, robdood said:

I didn't!! That's the thing, my ship was nowhere to be seen!! 

You don't start near your ship, you need to build a scanner to find it. A hint box should appear in the bottom right corner when you start and lists the parts you need, which will all be found locally. 

• Upvote 1

Are the fancy new clouds restricted to the X1X/PS4 Pro versions? From my quick go last night, they didn’t look particularly better than the previous ones. 

20 minutes ago, Flub said:

Sounds like you hit a bug. I'd just start again since you're so early on.

I dunno. I started pretty far away from my ship too. Eventually found it but had to use sodium and shelter to stay alive. I loved that brutal opening :lol:

As someone who hasn't played since vanilla launch, what Hello Games have turned this game into is incredible. @BruceBruce, @spork, @mr_woo and myself hopped into multiplayer last night on PC and I think all of us were impressed. It looks amazing and is full of so many wonderful moments. Sure, there's a few bugs but nothing that soured the experience. I hated this at launch but now I can't wait to play more.

Bravo Sean and team!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

You don't start near your ship, you need to build a scanner to find it. A hint box should appear in the bottom right corner when you start and lists the parts you need, which will all be found locally. 

I just read that. Bit of a significant change.