Jump to content
rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

Recommended Posts

I outran some pirates in my Class C shuttle last night and JUST managed to pulse jump to a space station. A good thing, as I was carrying an item that was worth nearly 850k units! Bollocks, what was it called? It came from some buried salvage, which was an absolute bitch to get to because of the high sentinel activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darwock said:

 

If you don't currently have a freighter and you claimed a crashed ship or something, you've lost the old one.

 

I suppose there's still a chance it's sitting where you parked it (if you can find the crash site) but in my pre-patch experience an abandoned ship will not persist much longer after you leave a planet, and definitely not if you leave the system.

 

Oh, fucking cunts. It said “claim and add to your collection.” What a lie. 

 

New ship is all fucked yo but is worth 5 mil, so I’m trading it for the first decent one I see at a space station. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

New ship is all fucked yo but is worth 5 mil, so I’m trading it for the first decent one I see at a space station. 

I may be wrong, but I think it's only worth 5mil once you have made all the relevant repairs. I switched to a ship worth 2mil, but my trade in value when negotiating with other Captains for their ship is only 800k :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darwock said:

 

If you don't currently have a freighter and you claimed a crashed ship or something, you've lost the old one.

 

I suppose there's still a chance it's sitting where you parked it (if you can find the crash site) but in my pre-patch experience an abandoned ship will not persist much longer after you leave a planet, and definitely not if you leave the system.

 

Orly? Mine was valuable enough to straight-up trade for another ship. I didn’t accept the trade though because it was so damn ugly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darwock said:

 

If you don't currently have a freighter and you claimed a crashed ship or something, you've lost the old one.

 

I suppose there's still a chance it's sitting where you parked it (if you can find the crash site) but in my pre-patch experience an abandoned ship will not persist much longer after you leave a planet, and definitely not if you leave the system.

 

36 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

 

Oh, fucking cunts. It said “claim and add to your collection.” What a lie. 

 

New ship is all fucked yo but is worth 5 mil, so I’m trading it for the first decent one I see at a space station. 

 

No, that’s wrong. I claimed the crashed ship, repaired the two things needed for flight, flew it to a station, traded it, can still summon my Radiant Pillar. I’ve been using it as a packhorse. You should still have yours. 

 

You can’t get rid of ships unless you make a trade whilst that ship is your main ship. Then it’s swapped. 

 

If you go to the menu that you access charge technology/flashlight/camera mode etc, go to summon ship, scroll along to the right, there should be an image of multiple ships sort of stacked on top of each other. Click up, and you have your list of summonable ships. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My collection of Ships are not showing up in my freighter since the latest update - BOOOOO! 

 

- I can call them tho thank fuck!

 

 

Im trying to build a modernist concrete house but I don’t seem to be able to paint it white - BOOOO!

 

- The Space Aardvarks seem to like it tho!

 

 

I seem to need something called Star Silk in order to build chairs - BOOOO!

 

- anybody know where I get that from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a little base for the first stage of the tutorial, I thought I'd go back to it to use the base computer, the teleporter from a space station let me teleport there, but when I arrived none of the structures I built were present. Is this a known issue? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to check - I can move my main base, right? I've been doing the base building tutorials on a rather boring planet. If I dismantle the base computer and build it somewhere else, the tutorials will continue, right? I suppose I'll just have to make a note of the various modules I've already installed in my base. I was convinced that base building would be really boring, but even just laying out some wooden floor in VR was pretty compelling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

 

 

No, that’s wrong. I claimed the crashed ship, repaired the two things needed for flight, flew it to a station, traded it, can still summon my Radiant Pillar. I’ve been using it as a packhorse. You should still have yours. 

 

You can’t get rid of ships unless you make a trade whilst that ship is your main ship. Then it’s swapped. 

 

If you go to the menu that you access charge technology/flashlight/camera mode etc, go to summon ship, scroll along to the right, there should be an image of multiple ships sort of stacked on top of each other. Click up, and you have your list of summonable ships. 

 

 

It’s not there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

 

 

No, that’s wrong. I claimed the crashed ship, repaired the two things needed for flight, flew it to a station, traded it, can still summon my Radiant Pillar. I’ve been using it as a packhorse. You should still have yours. 

 

You can’t get rid of ships unless you make a trade whilst that ship is your main ship. Then it’s swapped. 

 

If you go to the menu that you access charge technology/flashlight/camera mode etc, go to summon ship, scroll along to the right, there should be an image of multiple ships sort of stacked on top of each other. Click up, and you have your list of summonable ships. 

 

 

Probably I'm wrong then, I've been to the center of the galaxy on permadeath mode and warped several hundred times/half the galaxy to rendezvous my main account with my alt account on the same planet (before portals and chartable systems), but all that experience counts for nothing with all the changes they subsequently made to the game.

 

One niggling doubt though, don't you have a freighter? It was always possible (even in the old version of the game) to collect multiple ships with a freighter, but if you didn't have one you would be sacrificing the old ship for a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is glorious in (PS)VR. I was concerned it would be too blurry for longer use but after trying regular mode I'm back to VR. The sense of being there makes up for the drop in visual quality.

 

The things I love are:

 

- teleport movement. (You can get around really quickly and I can justify it in a sci fi game. It's essentially a bit of technology that allows short leaps rather than running/jetpacking);

 

- I love how the menus have been implemented. Pointing at my wrist to access everything never gets old;

 

- lifting my left hand to my head to switch on the scanner. Genius;

 

- getting out of the cockpit by lifting the canopy, wonderful. Plus heading out of orbit and into space - thrilling.

 

 

I'm still struggling a bit with manoeuvring the craft with Moves though. Does this get easier? I can't imagine doing very well in a dogfight. Making the ship go down seems particularly tricky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried teleport movement just for long enough to find the menu option to switch it off... I guess it was alright but how does it work when you are under attack? Doesn't it mean aggressive fauna can't ever get close enough to hurt you?

 

I would personally say it's worth keeping it off just for the joy of sliding down massively steep hills and cliff faces on your arse, scuffing noise and all.

 

VR flight controls, yeah - I tried it once and then got the flight stick hooked up. Flying is my favourite thing by far, especially those moments after a space battle where you end up totally disoriented and have to look out the top of the canopy to try and locate the space station. Without the flight stick option I think the DS4 would still be preferable.

 

edit - the wrist pointing interface is tremendous, but I recently upgraded to a rifle style exotool and that makes it slightly ridiculous when pointing at the left hand. I have to constantly holster the rifle to make it less comical, but I think my resting hand position when I'm moving means that I keep drawing it out again involuntarily. I want to switch back to a short barrel tool as soon as I find a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

VR flight controls, yeah - I tried it once and then got the flight stick hooked up. Flying is my favourite thing by far, especially those moments after a space battle where you end up totally disoriented and have to look out the top of the canopy to try and locate the space station. Without the flight stick option I think the DS4 would still be preferable.

 

Hold on will my HOTAS work on PC? 

I love the fact that you can actually press the buttons on your wrist with your finger, such a small thing but so immersive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Strategos said:

 

Hold on will my HOTAS work on PC? 

I love the fact that you can actually press the buttons on your wrist with your finger, such a small thing but so immersive. 

 

Try it and let us know, I'm on PS4 so can't confirm one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently if you play in PCVR the controls are locked to your VR controllers. There's no way to use anything else. Probably a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My base is on an island in a lagoon on a planet with rings.

F92D9573-9BB7-4863-B434-129D429669C7.thumb.jpeg.51161d67ac3a6adb17b1a38f9e7a48ad.jpeg

 

 

I’m building a modern, square habitat. But....dunno how to carve out a door in it lol. 

 

B1D1C4F3-D379-42F5-B2FB-B7B62CE7DF21.thumb.jpeg.7eb60e9da83fc7f8f59008c87f56ba34.jpeg

 

 

The island was completely flat though, so I built some decorative arches and rock formation with the terrain manipulator. 

 

38FE89BE-46A0-4CB5-AACA-F6F01570FCD1.thumb.jpeg.f8a24e4d191417d1e493c7e74ccce563.jpeg

 

48CB94C0-DBCC-41C6-86F8-CAC8A719A21F.thumb.jpeg.ec3a979e3ee7855efb0af79525583db4.jpeg

 

 

Looks nice at night when you can see the rings. 

F17C8059-28D0-4CBF-B0BA-86EBB34D5774.thumb.jpeg.aa381866be2e2aed18ccea7c702813e0.jpeg

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

My base is on an island in a lagoon on a planet with rings.

 

 

I’m building a modern, square habitat. But....dunno how to carve out a door in it lol. 

 

 

Doors are another build item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flub said:

Currently if you play in PCVR the controls are locked to your VR controllers. There's no way to use anything else. Probably a bug.

That's a shame.  The flight controls with moves are never going to work so switching to DS4 is a must.   Although if you can't do that how are people switching to Hotas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking about the PS version. On PSVR the AC7 flight stick presents itself as a DS4 so it can be used.

 

Did my first mission stuff tonight, but was required to take two missions to kill animal life in order to unlock others, and I absolutely hated doing that >< I even had to go after the young animals because the adults soaked up way too many shots without dying and got me in hot water with the Sentinels, but killing their young made the parents angry and I had to kill them too. I hate myself.

 

On the plus side with the authorities chasing me it also allowed me to clear the mission for killing Sentinels.

  • Empathy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Darwock said:

 

 

Did my first mission stuff tonight, but was required to take two missions to kill animal life in order to unlock others, and I absolutely hated doing that >< I even had to go after the young animals because the adults soaked up way too many shots without dying and got me in hot water with the Sentinels, but killing their young made the parents angry and I had to kill them too. I hate myself.

 

On the plus side with the authorities chasing me which also allowed me to clear the mission for killing Sentinels.

 

Yeah, I always felt guilty about doing that in my previous games. I guess one justification to yourself is to say the contract is for vermin control, but it still doesn't sit well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the creature killing ones make me incredibly remorseful. However there's one little shit of a species on my planet that's going to get eradicated next time I have to take one of those. Tiny, happy, agro fucking bastards, they are.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

  Although if you can't do that how are people switching to Hotas?

 

Probably a bug. I can't even use the mouse when I'm playing in VR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darwock said:

I was talking about the PS version. On PSVR the AC7 flight stick presents itself as a DS4 so it can be used.

 

Did my first mission stuff tonight, but was required to take two missions to kill animal life in order to unlock others, and I absolutely hated doing that >< I even had to go after the young animals because the adults soaked up way too many shots without dying and got me in hot water with the Sentinels, but killing their young made the parents angry and I had to kill them too. I hate myself.

 

On the plus side with the authorities chasing me it also allowed me to clear the mission for killing Sentinels.

 

Yeah, I resisted accepting those for ages, but I need the quests to refresh. 

 

I’m going to make myself feel better by only killing the sexy ones. None of the odd looking ones are getting a bullet. 

I’ve got a creature on my base planet that has six legs, with the front two looking like elephant legs and feet, the middle like rhino, but the back two like a fucking sparrow. Love them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's why I think this game is properly great (after only a few hours of playing it). The screenshots in the last dozen posts have been fantastic (and some of the descriptions even better). Nothing I've witnessed has been as good, such is the nature of random number generators. And yet I've loved every second, and wouldn't trade my experience of it with anyone else. I can't wait to see what lies on my next planet... This is gaming at its best. Everyone playing the same thing, but everyone coming out with their own unique stories. And each of us can feel what it meant to be there at the time. How ace is that? :)

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.