strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

8 hours ago, bplus said:

Just bought a Japanese megadrive off eBay, no cables. Can anyone tell me if a UK megadrive plug will work on it? Also I take it my UK rgb cable will work? 

RGB cable yes, not the plug though. Don’t use a plug for a PAL MD1 on a Japanese MD1, wrong sort of current.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Don’t use a plug for a PAL MD1 on a Japanese MD1, wrong sort of current.

I don't know where you got this from, but that's wrong!  A UK MD1 power supply will be fine for a Japanese MD1 or US Genesis.  Likewise, a U.K. MD2 power supply is fine for the Japanese MD2 or US Genesis 2.

Maybe you are confusing it with the SNES/Super Famicom, which do need different PSUs.

• Upvote 1

I'm using a UK MD2 PSU with a Japanese MD2, no problems.

I think PP must be mixing it up with the PAL SNES (AC) and the NTSC SNES/SFC (DC). Just to confuse matters further, a UK MD1 supply works great for an NTSC SNES/SFC.

31 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I'm using a UK MD2 PSU with a Japanese MD2, no problems.

I think PP must be mixing it up with the PAL SNES (AC) and the NTSC SNES/SFC (DC). Just to confuse matters further, a UK MD1 supply works great for an NTSC SNES/SFC.

I normally refer to

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/misc/misc.htm

to figure out what works with what

because he sells (or used to) 2 PSUs one which is

Brand new item.

AC 230V to DC 9V mains adaptor/power supply

Output 9V DC, 1.2A, center negative

For use with:

Sega Master System 2

Sega Game Gear

NEC PC Engine

Atari Jaguar

Atari Jaguar CD Unit

Nintendo Famicom

Nintendo Super Famicom

Gameboy Transferer

Gameboy Xchanger

N64 CD64

N64 V64 Jr

SNES/SFC Game Doctors

all Pro Fighters

all Wild Cards/Magicom etc.

Super UFO

Not suitable for PAL version NES/SNES

and another which

includes special plug adaptors, so it will also work with:

Sega Megadrive 2

Nintendo NES PAL version

Nintendo SNES PAL version

That doesn't make much sense to me. The MD1 and MD2 PSUs are basically identical in spec, except that one's centre negative and the other is center positive. They're both DC. I don't see how a plug adaptor could turn an AC PSU suitable for PAL Nintendo stuff into a DC PSU suitable for a Mega Drive 2.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

That doesn't make much sense to me. The MD1 and MD2 PSUs are basically identical in spec, except that one's centre negative and the other is center positive. They're both DC. I don't see how a plug adaptor could turn an AC PSU suitable for PAL Nintendo stuff into a DC PSU suitable for a Mega Drive 2.

that is a gooooooood point.

http://dismantle-it.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/microscopic-pal-nes-snes-power-adapter.html

Officially, both take 9 volts AC. NES PSU is rated 9v or 9.8v 1.3A. Same applies to SNES.
Unofficially, you can plug in just about any 9V AC or DC adapter with any polarity into both NES and SNES and it will work (at least if the plug fits nicely in ;) and NES has been reported to work with as little as 410mA.

and I read somewhere that a DC supply will work with an AC device, but a DC device will smoke on an AC supply.

21 minutes ago, SeanR said:

and I read somewhere that a DC supply will work with an AC device, but a DC device will smoke on an AC supply.

Two posts above, to be precise.

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

UK MD PSU also works with a certain brand of lady self-pleasuring device.  Apparently.

Will it work with the US & Japanese ones too?

Anyone good with repairing a Mega CD?

It's a Japanese model 1.  I replaced the drive belt, but when the tray closes it opens again about a second later without the drive spinning.

Seems to be the same problem as number 10 here:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22027-Sega-CD-systems-repair-thread

But the video isn't available anymore and I'm not how I should be adjusting the gear/tray switch.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks @Nathan Wind for the Mega Drive! It works a treat! It's also filled the gap in my AV centre - Xbox One ? Switch ? nah, Mega Drive mate!

sDT2TXT.jpg

The included AV cable looks as expected, beyond awful on a 4K display though, and it's a PAL system so locked to 50hz, so I decided to do some tinkering. Aha! I've got a MD2 Scart lead in the loft. So off I go and find it, then discover the TV doesn't have a Scart socket. Sake! so I've ordered a Scart to HDMI converter off ebay.

rEppAG4.jpg

what a beauty

Turns out is it literally a 5 minute job to turn a 50hz Pal MDII into a hardlocked 60hz. I can't solder for toffee and I want to use this as an Everdrive machine, so I didn't really mind not being able to switch back. If you look at the center of the picture you have to make a small cut just to the above left of the R73 with a stanley knife to sever the connection there. That makes the machine think it's a 60hz Genesis. The mind boggles.

zYPRClV.jpg?1

However as expected, the picture is now in some kind of black and white/tricolour hell with the standard AV cable.

So I went upstairs to test it on an old CRT... but the MD2 scart lead just doesn't fit. After checking it with the included AV cable it's clearly different, but it's odd as it was in my old mega drive box in the loft (the one with the broke power supply or motherboard).

So I thought it must be for a Saturn, but google shows the pins aren't right for that either (the top row should be 2.1 not 1.2)- I can't think of anything else but I must have used it at some point - any ideas? I used to have a switched Nomad but I've read that's the same A/V out as the MD2/Gen 2 so it can't have been for that surely?

0gj1D7D.jpg

So i'm off to ebay to buy a Mega Drive 2 RGB cable - some are as low as £3 - will these do the job? they are advertised as RGB cables bu you know with some ebay sellers...

but headaches aside, man it is so nice to use proper hardware and those official six button Mega Drive pads, the proper ones with the red button, are still the absolute business. I might even prefer it to the Saturn controller, it just feels so good to use.

• Upvote 2

Get a decent one from retrogamingcables. I've got a cheap one, interference noise all over the shop. 

As for scart to hdmi, you want an elphas one from Amazon. It does RGB which you want.

Stupid question time!  PAL Mega CD games from Europe and language.  I'm specifically looking at a text heavy game - Eye of the Beholder - from France.  Will it be in French and will there be a language option? Anyone know?

50 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Stupid question time!  PAL Mega CD games from Europe and language.  I'm specifically looking at a text heavy game - Eye of the Beholder - from France.  Will it be in French and will there be a language option? Anyone know?

If it is, couldn't you legitimately just download the ROM and burn a copy? There's no copy protection from what I recall.