RubberJohnny

The Humble Thread

29 minutes ago, VN1X said:

But... I'm a subscriber until like May of this year? I'm so confused. 

It's probably just something they stuck on the automatic message without thinking about it not making sense for longer term subscribers. 

I think VN1X means he's an annual subscriber - i.e. you pay once yearly. They shouldn't have charged you extra - it just thanks you for paying early by default (which, technically, you have - albeit six months early or so...).

Edit: what Fry Crayola said

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/rockstar-games-bundle

Quite a nice selection if you want some Rockstar nostalgia in your library :) (ends March 13th 7pm)

PAY $1 (ABOUT £0.71) OR MORE!
Manhunt 
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto III
Max Payne

PAY MORE THAN THE AVERAGE OF $9.14 (ABOUT £6.50) TO ALSO UNLOCK!
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
L.A. Noire
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

PAY $15 (ABOUT £10.66) OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
L.A. Noire: DLC Bundle
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Max Payne 3: Includes Max Payne 3 Rockstar Pass

• Upvote 2

GTA IV seems to work ok, but they never bothered to go back and rip out Games For Windows Live, so you still need to log into that :( It accepts outlook.com addresses, which was lucky.

12210_20180131114302_1.thumb.png.cf6270284eae4e960e63085e372ee9aa.png12210_20180131121118_1.thumb.png.2485a1eb6cad4b07b108599fe8dac616.png

Rockstar seem to be terrible for lack of support of their older PC games, though. Check out this lot:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/7u3d5n/humble_rockstar_bundle_1_manhunt_gta_3vice_city/dth8e02/

I assumed there'd be a way to skip cutscenes in Max Payne 3 by now, but no dice :(

• Upvote 1

Yeah that bundle is an insta-skip. Not in the least because I already played most of them but also that Rockstar games on PC are mostly terrible. I mean they're (barely) functioning but that's about it in most cases. 

I wasted a whole hour of my life trying fixes to get my steam version of GTAIV working last summer and when it finally did boot, I couldn't change the settings from 800 x 600. Nothing worked.

Holy shit this month's bundle is full of quality games! One of the rare occasions where I'll redeem everything for myself lol. Any takers for Life is Strange 1-5 or The Norwood Suite though? Already played through the former twice and the latter just looks weird

Any takers?

• Upvote 5

Damn, I should pay more attention to this thread.

Civ 6 and Owlboy would have more than justified the monthly sub. And then some..

18 hours ago, VN1X said:

Holy shit this month's bundle is full of quality games! One of the rare occasions where I'll redeem everything for myself lol. Any takers for Life is Strange 1-5 or The Norwood Suite though? Already played through the former twice and the latter just looks weird

Any takers?

I'd like Life Is Strange if it's still available?

On 31/01/2018 at 12:19, Gizamaluke said:

I wasted a whole hour of my life trying fixes to get my steam version of GTAIV working last summer and when it finally did boot, I couldn't change the settings from 800 x 600. Nothing worked.

The people who went nuts over that GTA iCeEnHaNcEr (sp) thing a few years ago are living proof that PC owners will buy the buggiest games, slap iffy thirdparty mods on it and still try to glean some enjoyment out of it ;) 

Yeah I tried GTA IV not long back too, more out of curiosity as to whether they ever sorted it out than anything else. It still ran like absolute shit.

So, the new Humble Bundle is up: the Humble Classics Return Bundle is somewhat non-ideal for me as I own literally every game in it, but at the same time that does give me a degree of confidence when I say that any tier is worth getting.

Pay What You Want

• Broken Sword 5 - while not quite up there with the first two Broken Swords, this is a very nice adventure game, and miles away from the awful 3rd and 4th games in the series.
  • Shadowrun Returns - a solid, attractive cyberpunk SRPG with an interesting story but occasionally iffy writing, conveniently followed by...
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall - a brilliant, attractive cyberpunk SRPG with a great branching story, improved combat and drastically improved writing over its predecessor.
  • Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure - cheesy, clichéd and daft - exactly as Under a Killing Moon was all those years back. A welcome return to the first-person-adventure-cum-sci-noir-b-movie-comedy series.

Beat the Average (£5 at time of writing)

• Age of Wonders III - one of the most interesting 4X games around, which actually takes advantage of its fantasy setting to stand out from the more traditional Civ-alikes out there.
  • Shadowrun Hong Kong - the only game in the series I haven't yet got around to. Apparently a bit of a disappointment after Dragonfall, but I don't take that as a necessarily harsh criticism - Dragonfall was genuinely brilliant, after all.
  • Wasteland 2 - extremely traditional, extremely satisfying turn-based RPG. If you know the original Wasteland you'll know what to expect; if you don't - well, imagine the isometric Fallouts and you're most of the way there.
  • Xenonauts - a game for people who actually like the design of the original UFO/XCOM games; where the new XCOM games reimagined the original series, Xenonauts effectively remakes them. Big, slow and tense.

Pay ~£10.70+

• Dreamfall Chapters - the long-awaited close to the saga that The Longest Journey started. No, it doesn't quite live up to the first game in the series, but then what could? Avoids the clunkyness that marred Dreamfall, and finally gets us past the cliffhanger that it ended on. Presumably of less interest to anyone who hasn't played TLJ and Dreamfall, mind.
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera - I just had to stick this in bold, seeing as it's my second-favourite game of 2017. Spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, with a good portion of the original team involved. Extremely wordy as you'd expect, with a literary rather than filmlike style - a rarity in modern RPGs, and not to everybody's taste. Rarer still: nearly every situation can be resolved without combat. I also think it's rather beautiful, but then I'm a sucker for sci-fantasy settings and isometric perspectives. Just lovely.

A great set of games. A shame for me that I own them all, but a fantastic selection for anyone not in that boat.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Wiper said:
  • Age of Wonders III - one of the most interesting 4X games around, which actually takes advantage of its fantasy setting to stand out from the more traditional Civ-alikes out there.

Any chance you could go into more detail about why this is a good game?, I know that Durante bloke also rates it very highly but fantasy settings are a big turn-off for me so the game would have to be AMAZING to overcome that barrier as I haven't played a new 4X in ages.

@mushashi Sorry, I meant to reply to this sooner, but I've had a busy week at work and just haven't had the energy the past few evenings!

I fear that if you're turned off by fantasy settings that AoW might not be for you, as a lot of its strengths are courtesy of said setting. Effectively, it has one of the advantages that sci-fi settings often confer - asymmetric, more characterful factions than a game like Civ can offer - but loses the colder feel that the scale (and literally cold setting...) that space-faring 4X games often possess.

The fantasy setting also gives it a bit more of a narrow focus in gameplay - warfare is openly a focus (to the point of having actual tactical battles), complemented by light RPG elements in the combat-capable leaders and heroes, the strategy more pointed than Civilization's. Indeed, your (customisable) leader has a major impact on your game, as how you choose to design them not only impacts on how they (and their army) function in combat, but determines what empire-level buffs and spells (in combat and on the strategy map) they have access to. It all leads to a more characterful game, one which begins to feel like a fantasy narrative.

All of this can also be seen as a weakness - exploration is much less of a focus, and research whizzes by to the point of feeling a lot less satisfying - and if you don't generally like fantasy settings, then gaining the characteristics of a fantasy setting probably doesn't sound like a great benefit to reap from this increased focus!

Thanks for the response, so more a game for fans of the setting, rather than people like myself who are turned off by that type of theme. Sometimes games do come along which are so good gameplay-wise, you can overlook the visual trappings, while conversely you can sometimes willingly play fairly average games purely based on the fact you love the visual design :)

Yay fighting games! It's probably worth picking up tier one for Skullgirls alone; awesome sprites, fun gameplay, a sweet soundtrack and one of the best fighter tutorials around. :) 

PAY WHAT YOU WANT!
GUILTY GEAR XX ACCENT CORE CORE PLUS R
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Skullgirls

PAY MORE THAN THE AVERAGE OF $5.47 (ABOUT £3.90) TO ALSO UNLOCK!
Arcana Heart 3 LOVE MAX!!!!!
Street Fighter X Tekken

PAY $9 (ABOUT £6.42) OR MORE TO ALSO UNLOCK!
GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN-
Rivals of Aether
$2 Humble Wallet credit for Humble Monthly subscribers

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/brawler-bundle

Humble are apparently  sending out surveys about turning Monthly unto a two-tier service, with a stripped-down $10 version (with fewer games and without trove or the 10% off) and a $15-20 premium version.

I think this would lead me to unsubscribe outright.

Outlast 2 this month and at least RUINER in May (or as an early unlock of course). Perfect! :omg: