Hexx

Hearthstone

hsb00.jpg

Here’s a card we’ve been dying to play: The closed beta test for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft has begun in the Americas region!

During the closed beta test, we’ll be inviting a range of duelers from our opt-in pool (along with folks from press and fansites) to try their hand at Hearthstone and let us know what they think. There’s no NDA during the beta, and we’d love to hear all about your epic victories, watch your live streamed matches, and see screenshots and videos sharing your experiences with the game. Please note that Hearthstone is still in development, and what you see and play in the beta test isn’t necessarily representative of what to expect in the final game.

Want to participate in beta testing Hearthstone? Read on!

hsb01.jpg

How do I opt in to the closed beta test?

Once you’ve set up a Battle.net account, you can choose to opt in to our beta test from the Beta Profile page. You’ll need to download and run the System Check tool to attach your computer’s specifications to your beta profile. Once that’s complete it’s simply a matter of waiting for an invite.

You can also opt in through our website here.

How do I know if I’m selected?

We’ll send you an email letting you know if you’re selected. The email will contain a beta key—just follow the instructions inside to get started.

As always, please be aware of phishing attempts—falsified emails sent by unscrupulous individuals purporting to be from Blizzard, but their real goal is to steal your login credentials. For more information on how to identify these emails, please refer to our Battle.net Security site.

One easy way to ensure your invite is legit is to avoid clicking on links in any invite emails you receive. Instead, just log in to your Battle.net account and add the beta key from your invite email to your account.

How many players do you plan on inviting to the beta test?

The number of players we invite to the Hearthstone beta will be based on our testing needs. During the course of testing we’ll be inviting additional opt-ins as necessary in waves.

Is there an NDA?

There is no NDA for the Hearthstone beta test. Take screenshots, live-stream matches, record movies—whatever your heart desires! Please keep in mind that the game is still a work in progress, and we appreciate your understanding when you encounter bugs, graphical errors, or other issues. Help us create a better game for everyone to enjoy by reporting them here!

How long will the beta test last?

We have not determined an exact date for the end of the beta test. We’ll post a notice when the beta test is nearing completion.

Do I get to keep all my beta cards?

We are planning to wipe all player collections partway through the closed beta. We anticipate needing to rebalance some cards based on the feedback we get in the closed beta, and recognize that players may have made decisions on which cards to disenchant or craft based on information that’s changing. After we’ve completed that wave of balance testing and wiped cards, we do not anticipate needing to reset collections again.

Players who purchased card packs or Arena entry with real money prior to the collection wipe will be credited back with an equivalent amount of gold following the wipe, which can be used to re-purchase packs and/or Arena entry to re-establish their collection. These packs will not contain the same configuration of cards as the packs acquired previous to the collection reset.

Could only find the announcement for the US, but the EU beta is live now.

It's quite fun -_-

So did I and I got in.

Only been using a Standard Deck Mage as building a deck scares me. Poly and Jaina's Hero power is great for killing big minions.

Done some PvP (which is the basis of the game really) and have a good win/loss ratio. A player with a Priest Deck utterly destroyed me though.

It's looking good so far. Looks reasonably easy to get into, but I've already seen some plays I wouldn't have immediately thought of, like a shaman deck that had cards that returned your minions to your hand, which initially i thought wasnt that useful, but allowed him to use battlecry effects twice to good effect. The ZAM YouTube page has videos with example decks where they run through the cards and the synergy between them.

I watched a few of wowcrendors vids. They were alright, except his pack opening vids where he started doing rituals before opening each pack, like "this time, I'll try clicking my fingers ten times while circling the pack round the screen! Wait, that didn't work, this time ill click my fingers, then take a drink of water!". That got real old, real fast. Which was a shame, as I enjoyed seeing what was in the packs.

Still hoping ill get an invite soon, but at least it'll be open to everyone eventually!

Each class has it's own cards (e.g. Mage has Polymorph) and there are general cards (e.g. Troll Shieldbarer Tank) from which you can build a deck.

So that Shaman may have used a 'general' card.

I'm really looking forward to this hitting open beta since I've resigned myself to not lucking out with a beta key. I worry slightly about how much money Blizz will hoover from my pocket, but then I suppose it's just a bit less to gaben...

At the moment I've not been tempted to buy extra card packs. That might change as I start seeing people with better decks/cards kicking my arse though.

You slowly earn in game gold from daily quests so you can buy packs without extra real money though.

Put a good couple of hours into this last night, still trying to decide which class I want to play so far I've played the mage, lock and hunter to level 10 with the hunter being the most similar to my preferred way of playing Magic the Gathering lots of cheap creatures that buff each other, with the idea to quickly overwhelm the opponent although other decks can use murlocs in a similar way.

My thoughts so far:

The tutorial is quick, instructional and fun.

The deck building is easy, although being limited to only 2 (I think) of each card per deck does make it feel a little bit more RNGey than Magic however this is balanced against knowing (bar a couple of special cards) exactly how much mana you will have each turn.

The arena mode seems good (from my one play through), a selection of three cards appear you choose one to go into your deck, this process repeats until you have a full deck you then play that deck until you lose 3 times getting rewards and XP along the way. I like that it gets you playing cards you wouldn't normally use whilst trying to formulate a strategy on the fly.

I REALLY like that there is no chat in random games, apart from the emotes from the opponents Character (which you can "Squelch" by right clicking on them should you wish to turn this off). I'm too old and grumpy to be gloated at by a 15 year old when I'm losing and not having to deal with internet arse hattery is lovely.

The UI, GFX and sound are really good. Attacks feel meaty for want of a better term and the "Baa?" noise a polymorphed minion makes when you order it to attack is instant win. The cues as to when you have run out of things to do during your turn again are well done with an audio "Jobs done" and the end turn button turning green.

I'm sure class/card imbalance doldrums are just around the corner but for now I only have praise for it.

OK first moan, it appears that you only get to play the arena mode once for free after that you can buy another go with either real money (1.99) or gold won in game (which is slow to acquire) now if you do well in the arena the rewards are better than spending the money/in game gold on a pack of cards (I think) but it seems a bit tight to lock away the only other play style away behind a micro transaction...

Early impressions - I like it. It all feels very solid and polished already. Kept to the mage deck so far, mainly as I don't really know what I'm doing and it all seems a bit overwhelming.

Aha - something I haven't realised until now - you can unlock the other class decks (by beating someone playing that deck) in the AI practice mode (and get exp), I was just playing against other people and hoping that I'd come across other people playing decks I didn't have (and that I'd then beat them).

Seems an odd oversight if not - presumably in some sort of skirmish style thing. Do we both have to be in the game at the same time (rather than me sending you an invite if you're in WoW?).

Really liking it now - mage is at level 10 (due to my not realising I can level up and get new decks by playing the AI). Played a paladin that (probably due to my own idiocy) had some mega buffed minion that was hitting me for about 15 damage a round (I was praying for a polyform card that never came) so that looks fun. Have given druid and hunter decks a quick go but I seem a lot worse than the people that played them against me.

I'm convinced it has to be my email address their rng mailing system has problems with. Outside the pandaria beta which they 'had' to invite to thanks to the annual pass, no beta keys to anything, ever.

A lot of the ones on eBay were grabbed by bots when pc gamer put up a competition to win one but didn't adequately secure it. I believe up to 350 keys were nabbed.

This is really good fun. Really fun. It's already pretty damn slick, and the combat has a nice "meatiness" to it when you attack, which is pretty satisifying. They need to fix not being able to challenge people on your friends lists though - this really needs to be in the game!

I've been playing a hunter deck that I made with some of the cards I'd gotten - it's not brilliant, and there are some cards I want to swap out when I get some others, but it's pretty good. I like that there seems to be possibilities with each class, rather than just one way - my hunter deck is based around beasts and powering them up, but the cards are there to make it more focused on traps and on direct damage if you wanted to. Though part of that depends on what cards you get. I've not really looked too much at the other classes, but it looks like there are similar options there too - I've fought 2 totally different Garroshes, one was defensive and used Taunt minions and tried to keep his amour and heath high and whittle me down, the other was very aggressive and threw minions with charge and enrages at me.

I've also splashed out a bit on cards.....probably more that I should have. I've gotten 2 legendaries in that as well - the rather rubbish looking Millhouse Manastorm (2 mana for a 4/4 minion, so you can get him on the field quickly, but your opponents spells cost 0 on their next turn....that seems potentially very dangerous) and the rather good looking Illidan Stormrage, which looks good for a Warlock deck with his ability to summon more demons. Has anyone else dabbled in buying cards yet?

I've been playing this a fair amount recently and have got into Diamond playing either mage or priest. The priest deck is some crazy draw type deck of my own design where I cycle through the deck very quickly (in fact on a few occasions I've run out of cards which hurts you for initially for 3 when you should have drawn a card adding another 3 for each subsequent draw). The mage deck is a spell power one based on the build below (which only uses the basic mage cards everyone gets, I've swapped 4 cards out for some of the decent magey rares I've ended up with but the basic deck itself is really good and if you are struggling with find something to play I would suggest giving it a go.

1 Arcane Missiles (2)
2 Arcane Explosion (2)
2 Frostbolt (2)
2 Acidic Swamp Ooze (2)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
3 Wolfrider (2)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
4 Gnomish Inventor (2)
4 Ogre Magi (2)
4 Water Elemental (2)
6 Archmage (2)

7 Flamestrike (2)

Taken from : http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10195530415

From my experience its a very good all round deck if you get a good draw you can end games super fast however with polys and flame strikes you can also clean up late game boards easily. Nothing like having 5+ spell power minions on the board and fireballing someone in the face. :P

• Upvote 1