rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

I’m worried  that the season is going to get cancelled.

Why are you worried? It doesn't really matter, it's an entertainment product and right now it bears little relevance to what is going on around us.

I would love to see Liverpool win the league but if it means waiting another 30 years then so be it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for stating the obvious! Outside of that I’d still like us to win the league.

Of course it will be cancelled, but c’est la vie. Think it’ll be domestic competitions only next season too, whenever that might start.

We Reds can go back to saying next year will be our year...

Remember when everyone was joking that only Coronavirus could stop Liverpool winning the league? 

But yeah, if we can get through this, I don't care about it and we go again. I'd actually expect this year's team to be honoured by the league in some fashion. I mean technically we have won 18.9 titles. 

Why would it get cancelled? It only benefits the clubs who are underachieving. Most likely be finished behind closed doors in the summer. You can’t void a season near the end. The whole idea of voiding it presumes mistakingly that everything will be hunky dory and back to normal by August which is of course complete bollocks. This virus will cause the season to close for a few months next season too at least. What’s going to happen? Continually void seasons after each outbreak? This one has to end before they can even think of the next steps. 

My solution finish all domestic seasons when possible. European ties to be decided in a short tournament in a a single location. Suspend all European competitions and even domestic cup competitions next season. The league for the next couple of years will have to be flexible, it won’t start nor finish to a pre set schedule. 

As soon as the clubs work out the best way to rebate broadcasters, the vote to void will happen. 14 clubs needed to pass that vote, and, optimistically, would say only four would currently vote to finish this season.

In all reality, there is little chance of games behind closed doors going ahead. It would be in really poor taste to host games while the virus is still a public concern. There’s also the questions of insurance for liability, which will likely be prohibitive, matchday medics, policing* etc

*a police presence to insure people do actually stay away from stadiums would be a necessity

Based on present forecasts, I would be extremely surprised to see any sort of large scale sporting events again this year. Over the coming weeks fully expect the current season will get voided, the ramifications will be dealt with and next season will just happen when it happens.

I know I will be in the minority but I don't understand why next season shouldn't be the one to be contracted. Finish this season when they can, when everything is safe and well once again, even if it is the start of next year. If required we should just have a half 2020-21 season, or something similar. At least at the start of next season they can set out the amended rules and conditions.

• Upvote 1

Another issue with finishing this season is what do you do with player fitness? Do you give them a small pre-season to get going? Or just throw them in and risk further injury? Also contracts, many expire in June / July. What happens to those eligibility? If the season is expanded to finish in July / August you 'may' get away with that, but any longer and you'll have many legal ramifications. 

It going to be messy, whatever happens. 

It's going to be a UEFA wide decision otherwise the leagues being out of sync will mess up qualification for the European competitions. Cancelling it would leave an almighty mess and I don't understand why there is a rush to start the new season when you can finish the old one and they adjust the new season to fit whatever state the world is in by that point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

It's going to be a UEFA wide decision otherwise the leagues being out of sync will mess up qualification for the European competitions. Cancelling it would leave an almighty mess and I don't understand why there is a rush to start the new season when you can finish the old one and they adjust the new season to fit whatever state the world is in by that point.

I do agree, and do hope this season can eventually be concluded, I just don’t see the majority of Premier League clubs voting for an indefinite postponement again. Saw points per game being touted as a possible solution, but effectively that’s just using statistics to finish the season (clubs have had late runs to avoid relegation, PPG deprives them of that chance). Any title or promotion under such circumstances would also be hollow.

As an aside, I think parts of the sports media is leaning into the season being voided stories to give them something to print; they’re already seeding the idea and will relish the column inches that can be generated from such an outcome far more than another few months of limbo. Not that they make the decisions, but they can influence opinion, creating a fascinating cycle.

19 hours ago, glb said:

Based on present forecasts, I would be extremely surprised to see any sort of large scale sporting events again this year. Over the coming weeks fully expect the current season will get voided, the ramifications will be dealt with and next season will just happen when it happens.

It’s certainly possible there could be limitations in place for the rest of the year in which case, why not wait and carry on this season from the same point next year. So around mid-Feb 2021 and we go from there with this season’s remaining fixtures. Except maybe back a week before Liverpool’s second leg against Atletico - replay that. 

Might sound mad now, but it’s possible we may have to go without football for that long anyway. 

23 hours ago, Azrael said:

Just sim the remaining games of this season on football manager

Sounds like a plan, Watford's dickhead players have been saying we are too good to go down all season long, now the stats can prove it. Plus Miles Jacobson is a Watford fan so he's probably put some kind of cheat code in.