glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

The Firmino goal was easily the best today, the strength to shrug off Stones and the ability to lift it over the keeper.

Watched it a couple of times and its excellent.

Reading reports, and reliving the beauty, a surprising couple of facts made themselves known to me. I just felt I should point out to everyone that Oxlade-Chamberlain is still only 24 years old. He never scored more than 2 in a season for Arsenal, and has 3 with us already despite not even getting to start the first few games.

I wasn't on board at first, didn't really see that we needed him at all, but I've been completely turned around by his performances on the field. Seriously, this kid deserves the plaudits he's getting, because he is clearly working his nuts off for us!

• Upvote 1

I was also dubious about Ox but it's true that he's clearly putting a lot of effort into every game he plays in. He was great yesterday and, whilst I'm still a little unsure about his actual quality over a long period, he's done everything he can to change my mind about him. There were all those videos of him fucking up his final ball or falling over at Arsenal and maybe we've seen a bit of that (but not much) but we've also seen real enthusiasm and desire which I think has to be the Klopp effect of instilling that excitement and joy for the game in young players. It looks like he's having fun which he didn't at Arsenal whenever I saw him, which wasn't often I suppose. My personal jury is still out on whether he'll be a starter but he's clearly a much better option than I thought he might be.

I'd like to mention Robertson as well who, simply because he was cheap and from Hull and had an English name, didn't fill me with excitement. I expected him to be a budget stop gap cover player but he's been excellent. He does a lot of the good stuff Moreno does with that same wild puppy dog enthusiasm but with a bit more of a brain about when to do it. A few times now I've seen him track back effectively and cover or cut out the correct lanes which was always Moreno's problem.

Robertson and TAA with Gomez/Matip and VvD in the middle should be our back line in my opinion. 

Unfortunately I still can't say anything nice about our GKs other than Mignolet is good at saving penalties. Can we get a new one please?

17 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

We must be the one of the most entertaining side for the neutral.  

For about 5 years now the best matches to look forward to are the ones Liverpool take on a top 6 side. 

46 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Unfortunately I still can't say anything nice about our GKs other than Mignolet is good at saving penalties. Can we get a new one please?

With the keepers we have I still think Mig is our best option, I have not seen Karius have a good game yet.

7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With the keepers we have I still think Mig is our best option, I have not seen Karius have a good game yet.

I've not seen him make a save yet.

Hands made of smoke.

Others are reporting the impasse is concerned with Can's agent wanting a release clause inserted into the new deal. Liverpool are refusing, I suppose if they let one player have one they can't say no to the others.

Club policy seems to be no release clauses. Fair play to them, if he is that concerned about being able to move on for a set fee in the future then he isn't that concerned about staying on.

He wants to play as our #6. Obviously Henderson has been first choice there for a while and is also captain so I guess it's been tough for Klopp to guarantee him time there. Still, he's been trusted to play there while Henderson has been out and he's been pretty good. I'd love to see him sign. 

Can is proper shit and I'm sick of watching him stroll around for 80 minutes before deciding to turn up for the highlights. I'd happily sell him. Letting him go for free is dumb though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SMD said:

Can is proper shit and I'm sick of watching him stroll around for 80 minutes before deciding to turn up for the highlights. I'd happily sell him. Letting him go for free is dumb though.

I don't really understand why the club would let him go for free the the sticking point in the contract talks is about them not wanting a release clause.  Does Liverpool not have release clauses for any of their players now and think this would set a precedent?

16 minutes ago, Timbuktu said:

I don't really understand why the club would let him go for free the the sticking point in the contract talks is about them not wanting a release clause.  Does Liverpool not have release clauses for any of their players now and think this would set a precedent?

We had one for Suarez so no idea. Getting some money is better than none surely.

• Upvote 1

Apparently they have decided to no longer allow release clauses. Seems a pretty sensible direction given the current state of the market. 

He’ll not save any shots either so we won’t notice a difference.  Only way we’d know is if a ball did hit him making it look like a save then he’d do his little dance.

• Upvote 2

As has been demonstrated by Mignolet over the last 5 years, we don't need a world-class goalkeeper. Even with the waste of shirt that is Simon between the sticks we tend to win a lot more than we lose. Any reasonably competent goalkeeper will improve our situation massively, whereas currently we have the man who has made the least saves of all Premiership keepers, and the most mistakes that lead directly to opposition goals. 1 out of every 2 shots he faces go in! If we can find a keeper who improves upon that to even 1 out of 3, it will literally be season-changing for us. Karius has yet to have any kind of run to see if he can be that man, although the limited evidence is that he is equally as bad. 

I'd stick with Karius for a few games, let him get some level of confidence going. De Gea wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in his first season at Old Toilet, and look how that turned out. Mignolet can cry as much as he likes about the situation being unhealthy, he is absolutely the reason for his own problems. I know of nobody who would miss him should he move on.

Had one of those half awake dreams that we spent £131mn on Yossi Benayoun this morning. Spent a few minutes thinking ‘isn’t he really old now?’

Yes, he will be.

Swansea away on Monday night, the team have to keep the run going. A convincing away win would be nice but Swansea are going to dig in and try to counter, it's the kind of game the club would drop points in.

28 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Had one of those half awake dreams that we spent £131mn on Yossi Benayoun this morning. Spent a few minutes thinking ‘isn’t he really old now?’

All this talk swirling around about Chelsea wanting to sign former Liverpool strikers must have confused your sense of time.