glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread

Agreed, 22 goals from 48 starts was a great return in quite an incredible season. An ex girlfriend of mine had helped during the birth of one of his children and said he was such a lovely person, incredibly friendly and approachable, did lots of signings and photos and even brought presents in for the staff to say thank you.

It will be very nice for him to make a final Anfield appearance. I'm sure the crowd appreciate all of his efforts for us and will give him a great reception.

Where did Gerrard's shirt go? Akinfenwa called dibs on that before the game but never got it, wouldn't want to be the person standing in the way of what he wants.

From one beast of a player to another in the next round. Return of Heskey. Hopefully we've replaced Mignolet by then - and not with Brad Jones again.

Akinfenwa got one, a fan got the other.

Great interview, love the honesty about getting selfies and stuff. If a replay would have been as entertaining as that game, I'd have been for it.

So after stating there were no issues with the club last week Gerrard has now come out stating he would have signed in the summer before he knew his games would be restricted because Rodgers wanted to manage his games. He didn't want to be a squad player, very strange attitude for an older player but that has been Gerrard's biggest weakness, he is very much up his own arse.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, have to agree with that. I've just read the BBC article on it and am disappointed that is his response. I can accept that he didn't want to be a squad player if he feels fit enough to carry on, but it doesn't really serve any purpose to now throw this back at the club and essentially say it's the fault of the owners. Poor show.

• Downvote 1

Yeah. While he's served the club, the club has served him. Very well.

When he smacked up a DJ and walked was he repantant? Will he speak about that?

It's fucking childish.

• Downvote 1

So glad Akinfenwa got the shirt he was wanting. Can we sign him for a bit? Seems like such a cool guy, he'd probably do more for us than Balotelli has so far.

Yeah, have to agree with that. I've just read the BBC article on it and am disappointed that is his response. I can accept that he didn't want to be a squad player if he feels fit enough to carry on, but it doesn't really serve any purpose to now throw this back at the club and essentially say it's the fault of the owners. Poor show.

Where does he blame the owners? Is he not just saying that he would have signed up before he knew what role he would actually be having?

He doesn't owe us anything and if he wants to take up the opportunity of playing more and getting a decent payoff playing elsewhere rather than fading out at Liverpool, then fair play to him.

He's been an excellent servant to the club and regardless of his reasons for staying throughout the years he's been consistently great and showed that he loves the club. I don't get why there should be any anger towards him at all.

• Upvote 2

I don't think anybody is rewriting the career of Gerrard at all, but it sours things when less than a week after announcing he would leave he begins complaining about how he was treated.

The fact the offer didn't come early was leaked to the press ages ago and I'm confident that would be from Gerrards camp.

I remember Jamie Redknapp many years ago now during his early time as a sky pundit regularly complaining about Gerrard playing out wide under Benitez, he always mentioned that he knew Gerrard well and knew he wanted to play centrally.

Basically he has always had a flaw to his character, which is that he absolutely needs to be at the center of the team, the main man as it were.

Due to his immense quality over the years I'd reckon most of the time that flaw didn't really have a negative impact but it has on occasion and today it did too.

I think you're dead wrong there. I highly doubt that Gerrard has come out to say that, more that someone asked him and he answered honestly. The Redknapp thing makes no sense either, if Gerrard had said it it's one thing, but the fact that he did play out of position on many occasions without complaining suggests he's the epitomy of a team player. It's a shame it's ended like this, but he's no longer of sufficient quality to be guaranteed a starting place each game, and having given up his international career to further his club prospects, it's hard to begrudge him this new opportunity.

• Upvote 2

I think you're dead wrong there. I highly doubt that Gerrard has come out to say that, more that someone asked him and he answered honestly.

A little like Torres saying how pleased he was leaving for Chelsea?

The thing is in all probability it could be that. Yet this guy has been club captain and captain of England. You'd expect him to be able to answer questions with some expertise by now.

I don't buy that it was a slip. He will, of course, have some slight niggle here and there. Don't be fooled - he's just human. I bet anyone here who works at a job, even one they like, will have something that gets them a little annoyed.

I absolutely expect even more to come out once he's left. I'm looking forward to his true feelings on Hodgson.

Right now though he's within his right to say what he wants yet he should probably be able to understand what the reaction could be. Football fans after all. He will have known what he's done. Not for a moment was he "trapped by an evil reporter". He's not an idiot and he's not a total outspoken classless douchebag in the Rio Ferdinand mode.

Personally I think it's a good thing for the club. He needs to move on and America is a fine destinstion.

We've had some great times with Gerrard, it's time to let him slip away ;)

• Upvote 1

Things that have annoyed me today:

- Valdes going to Man Utd when they already have a great GK. Why couldn't we get him?

- Man City likely to be getting Bony. Why couldn't we have stumped up the money for him in the summer instead of going for Balotelli (Still Believe). They've got good strikers already. Maybe we can have Jovetic or Dzeko (when's he injured to?)??

- Suso likely to join Milan. Class player, criminally underused. Had hopes this would be his season to get a shot.

- Seeing the confirmation of Gerrard going to LA Galaxy, making it real now. :(

Boooo Rodgers out etc... Rabble rabble rabble..

The Suso thing has really annoyed me. What happened to him? I thought he was on the road to being part of our team for years and then that just stopped. Obviously Rodgers didn't see something in him during training that warrented 1st team football.

To be honest, whilst I understand he looked great in the reserves, he never really looked that good when he started for us. I don't know how he played during his loan, but I guess he hasn't progressed as Rodgers would have hoped.

- Valdes going to Man Utd when they already have a great GK. Why couldn't we get him?

He's still rehabbing a serious knee injury. We need someone who can actually replace Mignolet.

- Man City likely to be getting Bony. Why couldn't we have stumped up the money for him in the summer instead of going for Balotelli (Still Believe). They've got good strikers already. Maybe we can have Jovetic or Dzeko (when's he injured to?)??

- Suso likely to join Milan. Class player, criminally underused. Had hopes this would be his season to get a shot.

- Seeing the confirmation of Gerrard going to LA Galaxy, making it real now. :(

Boooo Rodgers out etc... Rabble rabble rabble..

Don't know the authenticity of it, but you've apparently agreed with Winston Reid's representatives for a free in July. He's a good defender and will be a blow to us (West Ham) but our loss will be your gain (if he gets played) so it's not all doom and gloom for you!

Well, he's very athletic and great in the recovery, plus he's one of, if not the, fastest defender(s) in the league. He is no Maldini though and his distribution is pretty poor; good header on him though and I would have said no improvement over Southampton Lovren, but yes over Liverpool Lovren. He just doesn't strike me as a Rodgers signing, nor Wenger for that matter.

He's running down his contract due to whom you believe. It's either he doesn't get on with Carroll, wants parity in the pay scale with Carroll (Reid is rumoured to be on 35k a week and Carroll on 80k and we offered 65 tops), or he harbours ambitions for Champions League/Premier League glory, which, no disrespect, I doubt he'd get with either us or you chaps.

West Ham are more likely to get CL football than us at the present time.

He's still rehabbing a serious knee injury. We need someone who can actually replace Mignolet.

Even if he was missing an entire leg he'd still be an improvement over Mignolet...

Suso has been injured and needs regular games to develop. Would you play him over Sterling or Coutinho?

Reid is solid and frankly I'd take him over Skrtel.

Valdes was never going to join us once the talk went quiet in September.

Suso has been injured and needs regular games to develop. Would you play him over Sterling or Coutinho?.

Play 'em all:

-------------- Sterling

Markovic -- Couts ---- Suso

------------- Hendo -- Can

Moreno -- CB -- CB --- Manquillo

Easy.

You've missed out Lucas, one of the best performers this season.

No Lallana or Sturridge. Liverpool have looked at their best recently with Lallana playing too, he has a lot of quality.