hub2

Mario Kart 8

EDITS BY GRAHAM_S AND XEVIOUS

Looking to play this online? There are RLLMUK tournaments and everything! Have a look for codes and instructions here:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/279393-mario-kart-8/

Here's a list of NNIDs of people playing this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11XfoYwFio0_ekvgy-8iJpdiH0wQtcZMNj3b1SUlZbDA/edit#gid=0

Doubtless you'll also find people at
http://tinyurl.com/rllmuknnids

EDIT ENDS

I think deserves it's own thread rather than getting lost in some of the mega threads. Looks like fantastic HD update to MK but not out til Spring 2014. :(

Trailer:

Trailer analysis from IGN:

Developer Direct:

• Upvote 2

Why would you not release this before Xmas? It is a potential console seller and without a doubt an Xmas hit.

Maybe - just maybe - because it isn't going to be finished on time? And they'd rather finish it and polish it up properly rather than doing what everyone else does which is booting it out the door in time for Christmas and then patching it repeatedly.

We only get one Mario Kart per console, this has to last for years. I'd rather they took an extra three months to make it as good as it could be. And it does indeed look bloody great.

i think this game looks totally beautiful.

it actually looks as good as any of the next gen stuff, and much better than mariokart on a PS3/360 would look.

looks like nintendo are actually pushing the hardware.

It's unbelievably good looking. I've always imagined a MK that looks like this. Could be very special. All Wii U's problems could be over if this was a Christmas release.

Anti grav racing in mariokart? Hmm. I'll wait and see how the blue shell is implemented..still game breaking for me.

I only saw the trailer on the shop yesterday which clearly wasn't in HD but it still looked bloody good, weird upside down and sticking to the walls tracks could be cool. I just hope there's LOADS of tracks and LOADS of CC modes.

Shame not for Xmas really but yeah, I'll definitely buy it, whenever it shows up. Although I do wonder if Nintendo shouldn't get someone in to help them with their development as they're clearly struggling with this gen. It's almost like they haven't been listening to Rubber Johnny and the rising cost of games and think that the same amount of staff they used on SNES and N64 games could keep them going on more powerful hardware.

I just hope there are loads and loads of retro tracks. They always bring a smile to my face.

Looking forward to this, but the added anti grav stuff sits a little weird with me. It's just too F-Zero. And I want a new F-Zero.

I love the look of this. It looks so vibrant and solid while being utterly silky smooth. The WiiU is so obviously more powerful than the 360 and PS3 when in the hands of people with the time and commitment to things the best they can be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Lots of oversaturated lighting / bloom. Gives it a weird mix of realism and cartoony. It's quite striking. Technically accomplished, certainly.

I do like MK7 but I would really like a more down-to-earth kart racer. Actual go-karts, going around flat tracks, not "let's see what else we can throw into this" wacky races upside-down underwater in space shot out of a cannon stuff.

• Upvote 1

Lots of oversaturated lighting / bloom. Gives it a weird mix of realism and cartoony. It's quite striking. Technically accomplished, certainly.

I do like MK7 but I would really like a more down-to-earth kart racer. Actual go-karts, going around flat tracks, not "let's see what else we can throw into this" wacky races upside-down underwater in space shot out of a cannon stuff.

GT5 has really good karts in it but just not enough of them/tracks!

I put this in the e3 thread, i think it looks stunning!

Watching that vid makes me kind of understand Reggie's response to remarks like "But the Wii U isn't a next-gen console?". It's fucking glorious to finally see Nintendo in HD and to be honest, I don't understand why they haven't made a bigger deal about it, especially in the marketing department. Their advertisements should constantly bombard the consumer with "Now in HD!" or "Beautiful 1080p HD graphics" etc. etc.

Mario Kart 8 looks really good. :)

• Upvote 1

This looks great doesn't it. What a disappointment that it's not out this year though. :( It's terrible management and scheduling by Nintendo. All these things can be solved by money though and they should just throw yen at it. People will say (Miyamoto even) that money won't solve things etc, people need to be trained etc. Don't believe a word of it. Money can buy you extremely talented people. People who can come in and hit the ground running. Nintendo are still so firmly rooted in the past it's exasperating.

Perhaps, just perhaps, it is too far gone for them to pull it back for this year. In which case they need to make sure it doesn't slip any further. Which means again, spending money, getting schedules achievable and making sure they hit their milestones. And they need to be setting those things in place NOW. Because otherwise I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear around Xmas of this slipping further..

All these things can be solved by money though and they should just throw yen at it. People will say (Miyamoto even) that money won't solve things etc, people need to be trained etc. Don't believe a word of it. Money can buy you extremely talented people. People who can come in and hit the ground running.

I think this is cobblers. Game development doesn't work like that. It's not about churning out content according to a set-in-stone design.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No doubt there has been a steep learning curve for them, moving into the HD era, but that footage shows that they're up to speed now! It actually does look next gen. :blink:

I thought the trailer they showed was pre-rendered. It looks a lot like the cgi movies Nintendo used to put at the start of some of their games (Mario Golf etc.). I was quite surprised to see it playing and looking like that.

I thought the trailer they showed was pre-rendered. It looks a lot like the cgi movies Nintendo used to put at the start of some of their games (Mario Golf etc.). I was quite surprised to see it playing and looking like that.

that was exactly my thoughts. this and Mario World 3D all seem like the CGI Pre Rendered Nintendo Characters we have seen for years - actually in fully realised worlds.

They are really getting nice visuals out of the machine at 60fps too.

Very hard to compare this style with gritty realism shown on the other consoles but the Wii U is looking powerful in Nintendo's hands.

2 laps? I hope this was just for the purposes of demonstration, and not a decision for the released game. Other than that, very happy with what I am seeing. And the Mario Kart TV stuff could be quite glorious, because I maintain that the Mario Kart Channel on Wii was actually the best all-round integration of online that I saw outside of Halo 3 in the last generation.

• Upvote 1

You know what would be really smart for Nintendo to do? Is to create a track inspired by the Yarn games. I'd love to race a track set in that visual style.

Obviously Nintendo won't do this as they're cheap.

• Downvote 1