Rsdio

Dying Light

From Eurogamer:

Techland, maker of Dead Island, has announced a new game: Dying Light.

It's described as first-person survival horror with a Mirror's Edge-style free running mechanic featuring a day-night cycle set in a "vast" open world. It's due out on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in 2014. Warner Bros. is publishing.

In the day players scavenge the urban environment for supplies and craft weapons to defend themselves against an infected population. At night the infected become aggressive and more dangerous, so you have to survive until the first light.

Techland boss Paweł Marchewka said: "The next-gen technology allows us to create a truly dynamic open world that features a game-changing day-night cycle.

"Inventive free running mechanics also allow for nearly unrestricted exploration and weapon-crafting to further enhance the action survival experience."

Resized pics below (full fat ones at the link above):

post-6768-0-78243900-1369320268_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-18834400-1369320270_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-34567000-1369320271_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-11937900-1369320273_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-55255400-1369320274_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-07749500-1369320276_thumb.jp

post-6768-0-40864600-1369320277_thumb.jp

Looks pretty nice. Mirror's Edge was amazing and Dead Island was lovably shonky so I'll be following this one with interest.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Apart from the zombie opponents - that well dried up a long time ago - it's a pretty cool concept and more Mirror's Edge-style gameplay is very welcome. WB backing it might mean it has a decent budget as well. Techland's games are a bit on the shoddy side from a technical point of view.

Totilo seemed to like what he saw:

http://kotaku.com/surprise-dying-light-is-a-new-free-running-first-perso-509480939

All of this happens with the added twist that you can do parkour across rooftops. It's a pity WBIE hasn't released video of the game yet, because that's the "wow" element here—the experience of running from zombies across rooftops with the grace and speed not seen since DICE's beloved free-running game Mirror's Edge is the thing that makes it special.

Dying Light is set for a 2014 release. Keep an eye out for video footage. I initially rolled my eyes at the sight of yet another zombie game, but the free-running really does make this game look special.

a lot of Mirror's Edge strength came from it's linearity was mostly one path and it was just about chaining the moves together. Free-roaming Free-runnery tends to work less well, there's always a moment where Ezio rattles off a chimney like a dick or Infamous Guy decides not to transition from one ledge to another properly and spoils the flow, hopefully they can cheat it in 1st person and make for good fun.

Also I want to be able to push zombies off rooftops.

edit: oh snap I didn't realise it was the Dead Island people, LOOOOOOOOOLLLL

• Upvote 1

This does have potential, so long as it's more Bound in Blood Techland, rather than The Cartel. I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Island, warts and all, although not enough to want to do it all over again in the sequel.

Night time gameplay walkthrough:

I've just heard about the news that a whole mode is exclusive to pre-orders only. What kind of ridiculous shit is this? :quote: