rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rushy

DRIVECLUB - being put to sleep by Sony in March 2020

See that's what seems odd to me. This is an 'arcade' racer apparently, but they want to discourage contact and 'unsporting' play as if it is a sim. Embrace the arcadeyness if that's what your going for, but just seems a bit confused to me.

Basically I am saying that rubbing is racing.

All console racers are 'arcadey'! :P

Seriously though, I don't understand why these penalties are an issue. It's how Evolution wanted to set the rules for their racing. So that's that, really.

I say hats off to them, as every racer I've played online in recent years is just carnage / mayhem thanks to the fact that (outside of playing with a group you know, ie where damage may be enabled or whatever) people just use other cars as emergency brakes at each bend. Rubbish.

• Upvote 2

You can't buy it at all at the moment as you can't get on the store...

You can't anyway, they've pulled it for the time being.

I wonder if anyone will lose their job over this. There is some colossally bad management going on. I'd be so pissed off if I'd worked on this game and some cunt manager was trying to cut costs. The money tbey must have spent anyway, to not invest more in the online side is unforgiveable.

After playing this all of last night, let's look at the review again then shall we?

Point 1: "It's a shame that one of the few ways that DriveClub expresses any kind of personality is in this jarringly punitive corner-cutting and collision penalty system."

It isn't an issue. As a renowned lover of racers, I don't understand how he can possibly see this as a negative. The way he goes on about it in the review you'd think it was the strictest piece of bullshit ever. It isn't. I've experienced it once on a track which had a difficult chicane with only dirt barriers. Now I've done the track once, I'll know to slow down a little bit more.

Point 2: "For the most part, Evolution's troubled title is desperately searching for an identity. It feels less like a coherent racing game and more like an alarmingly slight support structure for a series of car and track combinations. You'll cycle through the menus multiple times, wondering if you've missed some huge, rich chunk of game. You haven't."

I don't even get this to be honest. He says that it's not a coherent racing game and more like a support structure for a racing game. Is that not the fucking purpose of menus? You know, to get to the racing (which is awesome let's add). As for missing a huge chunk of the game, what was he expecting that isn't there? It has a single player in the form of the Tour and multiplayer which I'm yet to experience (and let's be honest here, rating a racer on the solo campaign is like rating a Battlefield game on the solo campaign. It's all about the competitive time trials and races between friends).

Point 3: "devoid of soul"

Still don't know what the fuck this mean.

Point 4: "There's a brief, choppily edited first-person cut-scene of you climbing into your car before every race, but otherwise this might as well be a dystopian future where humanity is extinct and Skynet races driverless cars against each other to compute the empirical racing line."

It's basically a loading screen while your track loads in (which is all of about 5 seconds). I love stepping into one of my newly acquired cars for the first time, although after that, I'll just skip it and let the track load. Hardly a massive issue really is it?

Point 5: "The single-player 'Tour' is about as bare-bones as any career mode I've experienced, amounting to a dry list of events that's presented in its modest entirety to be ticked off in a day or so's enthusiastic play. Finish the final Legends Cup and there's no acknowledgement of your achievement whatsoever, you're just dumped unceremoniously back to the event list."

I spent at least 6 hours on this last night from around 7-1am and I got about half way through the tour unlocks I think, so it certainly isn't the longest career about. What achievement is he expecting though? A Mario Kart podium? Your achievements are constant. It's called fame. You know, the thing which nets you new cars.

Point 6: "Still, DriveClub is positioned as the ultimate social racer, rather than a particularly compelling solo affair. It's appropriate, then, that the game's most notable positive contribution to the genre is the addition of Face Off challenges that are overlaid on the circuit as you race. On certain short sections, you'll be tasked with beating another player's score in one of a trio of skill challenges; tests of average speed, adherence to the correct racing line and drifting."

Look at that, we're half way through the review and it's our first positive. The handling or the amazing tracks haven't even been mentioned yet. (You know, the important bits of a racer).

Point 7: "Beyond that, the game's social suite is essentially Need For Speed's Autolog. There's the option to manually issue your own duration-limited challenges, but not at the granular level of Face Offs. It's just a case of turning one of your recent race or time-trial completion records into a benchmark, but that simply doesn't have the fizzy immediacy of an automatically served, five-second mid-event challenge, which offers the potential for multiple miniature victories over actual humans in every race."

What's wrong with this? It's a racer. You have instant access face offs in the form of driving line, top speed and drifts which he clearly enjoys. He then seems to be let down by the fact that the social aspect is turning your time trial or race into a benchmark and pushing this out to all of your friends to beat. Since when did competition and leaderboards become so boring? Even without the online, me and Trigg had some great fun. We made our own time trial through party chat. We went onto a specific track (India's Glenmorgan) and with a specific car (the free to download Mercedes AMG GT S) and basically raced a solid 20 minutes or so trying to best one another (I won, just so you know). When the online is available, THIS is what the game is all about. Not the single player against the CPU, it's about wanting to be the best and trying your damned hardest to squeeze that extra hundredths of a second out of your car and you.

Point 8: "You'll note that I've barely mentioned the experience of actually playing DriveClub yet, beyond those infuriating, horsepower-hobbling penalties. That's because the racing itself is adequately entertaining but ultimately forgettable. In the interests of accessibility, on a DualShock 4 the handling quirks of the cars are largely smoothed out by the responsive-yet-chuckable physics model. It's not until you reach the hypercars that individual characteristics - usually a tendency towards lethal snap oversteer, at those speeds - are brought into relief."

Yeah, those horsepower-hobbling penatlies which don't exist unless you either a. drive like a twat or b. drive like a cheating twat. I do agree that the handing quirks of the cars are largely smoothed out by the physics model. But that's what type of game it is. It's not a sim (as I was explaining before, we don't need ABS and TC, they're already there and enabled. The only reason you'd want them as options is to turn them off I guess), but each car certainly has its quirks. Whether you're comparing the Mini, Beatle or the Quattro, they all handle differently to me. The AMG GT S was a fucking dream to drive.

Point 9: "It's a similar story with the circuits. The decision to opt for lesser-spotted locations such as India, Norway and Chile is admirable, but individual configurations and routes aren't distinct enough to stick in the memory. The highlights are almost always the point-to-point races - mad dashes that snake their way through expansive environments and usually reward you with the most breathtaking vistas and dramatic undulations."

I can't stress how much I don't agree with this. A testament to this is how within the opening 3 seconds of a race starting, straight away I knew that I was on the same track that I played over a year ago at GamesCom. Quite the opposite of not sticking in ones head really. Some of the vistas and scenery can be quite similar I'll agree, but the actual tracks always feel like they're their own.

Point 10: "Those vistas come at a cost, though. Evolution's artists appear to have chosen scale and atmosphere over outright fidelity, with varying mileage - the trees in Canada are crude cardboard cut-outs, for example, but there are approximately a thousand of them on a single mountainside, which is undeniably striking."

From my experience, the only time you'll ever experience the thousands of 2D trees is at the start of the event where you get a flyover of your race. During the race, the trees which you can generally see at the side of the road and even a little further are all modeled in 3D. Whether I'm just too focused on the road, I don't know.

Point 11: "The problem with DriveClub is that it's just competent. You'll drive some fast cars in some arresting environments. You might even have fun, in between getting clobbered with penalties."

Which don't exist to the extent you believe, yes, we've covered that bit.

Point 12: "But there's no romance to it. No passion."

Still don't understand what this means.

Point 13: "What there is, however, is the lingering sense that the gaps were supposed to be filled by the much-touted social features - the fires were to be stoked by human rivalry. Sadly, beyond those bite-sized Face Off challenges, which are essentially side missions, there's nothing particularly engaging or new here."

How can he be so much in love with the Face Off challenges and yet not love the thought of setting time trials and competing with friends in actual races? It completely baffles me. It really does.

Point 14: "What we're left with is a flimsy framework - a sort of clothes horse for content - rather than a truly great racing game."

Nope. What we're left with is an great racer with amazing handling and tracks, albeit with an admittedly quite stale single player.

So there you have it Napolean. Hand on heart, I really don't agree with much of Mr Mike Channel's review and sincerely think he's completely missed the point and over egged several features of the game which are a non-factor.

As for you, is there any chance you could stop doing this whole weird Devil's Advocate thing while branding everyone as an apologist. There's a good lad.

I'm guessing points 3 and 12 mean that the game didn't grab him in the way that much-hyped games are supposed to grab their target audience.

You can't anyway, they've pulled it for the time being.

I wonder if anyone will lose their job over this. There is some colossally bad management going on. I'd be so pissed off if I'd worked on this game and some cunt manager was trying to cut costs. The money tbey must have spent anyway, to not invest more in the online side is unforgiveable.

They haven't pulled it, just the plus version - disgusted in myself supporting such a shambolic game/publisher/developer/Sony but the positive posters in here against the mediocrity of the reviews has forced me to see if there is a game here or Evo just have the forum on the payroll!

They haven't pulled it, just the plus version - disgusted in myself supporting such a shambolic game/publisher/developer/Sony but the positive posters in here against the mediocrity of the reviews has forced me to see if there is a game here or Evo just have the forum on the payroll!

We're talking at cross purposes. I was referring to the 'free' PS+ Edition, not the upgrade, which is still available to purchase, PSN permitting!

You couldn't wait for the ps+ version to make your mind up?

Can I have £40 please?

Yeah it's hard having sympathy for someone only just considering buying Driveclub to be experiencing difficulties. It's fucked. Save your money or buy a game that works.

They should offer some form of compensation for all this malarkey.

Let's be honest, ten years ago they would have had to issue a product recall.

You couldn't wait for the ps+ version to make your mind up?

Can I have £40 please?

It was only £20 - had a free £10 credit and bought £25 for £20 on cdkeys...

I have loads of time this week, most week days free until afternoon and then 4 days off from Weds so can dedicate some time - i doubt it will be up by then so for the sake of £20 i am willing to risk it!

I guess i am playing the initial bit before it fully downloads, in a AMG hatchback on a nondescript looking track - reminded me of Forza actually!

Anyhoo, first go has been on Vita as clearly i don't have the trousers today but its a bit meh - quite an easy win and while i take back the corner cutting stuff a bit as you can clip corner no worry the hitting other cars stuff is shocking, much like the AI.

I was getting some remote play dropout so when i returned i smacked the back of another car hard, he went spinning off and i got reduced power or something so was crawling, the chump i hit seemed to be penalised and couldn't pass me but another car steamed up behind me and smashed into me - i got -200 for damage and he got the slow down thing.... three of us all going super slow for a few seconds, so yeah that system is fucked and will be abused to hell online!

Initial impressions, i can't really say - not fair playing it on the Vita so will play more tomms and see, maybe sneak on when i get home from work later on!

If I'd not made the silly decision to buy it from the US last Tuesday because I had the day off with nothing to do but had bought the UK version instead then I'd be asking Sony for a refund right about now.

I've had the game 5 days now and have managed a full 30 minutes of being online with it. This is a game where it's supposed to be about playing with friends and challenging people. So far the only challenge has been to my patience.

It's a half finished shell of a game and to be charging £35 for it currently is taking the piss.

Played it all night, one race each, load of mates, pass the pad (still haven't got online)

We haven't had so much fun since we played the 8 player Daytona machine at the Trocadero in 95, even the drift challenges are excellent.

Game is downloaded so had a go in the hot hatch cup, i see this is a grind game to get cars but worse so you can't unlock half the cars as i can't join a club to unlock them - i could chose a mini, mini, mini or mini so i went with the mini...

Maybe the Vita didn't help but i could actually see the track at the end so after some easy winning i hit a corner i couldn't see on the home straight and end up 3rd, vid looks better than my view but is this a thing not being able to see or is there a sun visor or shades button??

You unlock many cars pretty quickly, sure the ones you can only unlock through a club won't be achievable at present which is disgraceful but give it more than 10 minutes before making up your mind Shimmy. You mentioned BF4 earlier - those first 3 months were brutal - horrendous game breaking lag, multiple crashes to dashboard, no 64 player conquest. For all it's issues Driveclub is not as horrendously broken as BF4 was for a long long time. Everyone has already mentioned how the first hour or so is flat and a bit dull.

You unlock many cars pretty quickly, sure the ones you can only unlock through a club won't be achievable at present which is disgraceful but give it more than 10 minutes before making up your mind Shimmy. You mentioned BF4 earlier - those first 3 months were brutal - horrendous game breaking lag, multiple crashes to dashboard, no 64 player conquest. For all it's issues Driveclub is not as horrendously broken as BF4 was for a long long time. Everyone has already mentioned how the first hour or so is flat and a bit dull.

Ohh i will give it some time, had a couple of races on the telly - TT in Scotland and a race in Norway, unlocked 2 cars pretty quickly.

I was pretty lucky with BF4 and didn't get many issues but if it was like this for players early on then i can see the rage in hindsight - the lack of online is killing it and the constant red error on screen saying you can't connect reminds you of that!!

Very early impressions are that the graphics are just not very good, some awful assets along the road side - i went through a section of single story rural houses and GTA5 on PS3 looked better, the vistas are nice but i am hoping i have picked a crappy few tracks to be wowed by because it hasn't yet :( It is also very 30fps, sure no dropped frames but it is like playing destiny after BF4 - missing that extra layer of smoothness, the control input however seems very snappy.

Why is there no driving line but then random green, red and yellow flags that look far more out of place in a driving game than a racing line would - i have seen a blue line on the track near the end, is there a driving line in this or not?

On the positive side the sense of speed is good and i think there is some fun to be had - it is arcade handling all the way but early on not as much fun as PGR imo.

As opening 30 mins go this is an utter stinker, Shadow Fall levels of by the numbers dullness but without the wow of the graphics - i will power through as there are enough people on here who seem to like it later on and snippets of fun hidden in there that maybe it will turn out ok...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As an opening the game is worth the trade folder, never mind the online issues. Shit cars terrible handling super slow, awful assets in places. Considering it was meant to be the forza killer I couldn't believe it.

But once that first series the not so hot hatches is out of the way it actually unveils itself with all the gusto it showed in the trailers. I am presuming the weather graphics update will add a polish to the graphics. As some of the vids and screens we've seen don't reflect what were playmg now. ( I hope that's the case)

Anything other than a Videogame and you'd be straight back for a refund. But I do believe when this comes online and is hopefully stable it will be what we wanted. Christ I spent 2 weeks in a lobby with battlefield 1942 so I can grind this out.

As an opening the game is worth the trade folder, never mind the online issues. Shit cars terrible handling super slow, awful assets in places. Considering it was meant to be the forza killer I couldn't believe it.

But once that first series the not so hot hatches is out of the way it actually unveils itself with all the gusto it showed in the trailers. I am presuming the weather graphics update will add a polish to the graphics. As some of the vids and screens we've seen don't reflect what were playmg now. ( I hope that's the case)

Anything other than a Videogame and you'd be straight back for a refund. But I do believe when this comes online and is hopefully stable it will be what we wanted. Christ I spent 2 weeks in a lobby with battlefield 1942 so I can grind this out.

It's just a shame people have to tough it out with a title rather than buy it, install it, play it and love it. fin!

Why is there no driving line but then random green, red and yellow flags that look far more out of place in a driving game than a racing line would - i have seen a blue line on the track near the end, is there a driving line in this or not?

The flags aren't random, they're corner severity markers.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather the flags than a massive glowing line on the track.

The blue line on the track is a cornering challenge.

• Upvote 1

The thing is though, i'm well into the game now, ive given it a massive chance after buying it. I've even played a few online games and ive not really smiled once :hmm: , as it were. No wow moments apart from the Chungara Lake Course. Every time i drive it feels like theres something off with the game.

How the guys that were picked to go to the Event at the studios couldnt see this, i'll never know.

( Mind you they played a more finished version that night, than we have currently :lol: )

This is worse than KINECT

Quite how we can go from Motorstorm to this, is Poo. Big Poo!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Right I've joined the rllmuk casual club. Tailflys I believe. Though it was only about the 2nd time I've managed to connect to the servers briefly mind. But I have to say this game when it's working as expected is bloody superb. Managed to beat some time trials I was struggling with and cleaning up all the stars on the hot hatch tour. Even been changing to bonnet cam and it's just beautiful with a terrifying and exhilarating sense of speed.

I just wish the servers worked so I could contribute to the club xp more.

I rarely revisit events to get all the challenges in driving games or try to race clean and quick but something about this makes me want to.

Hurry up and fix those servers Rushy cos this game is superb.

The super cars are just so bloody quick mind cam barely control the lotus yet. But I'll get there.