PlayStation 4 Console Thread

I originally thought it was just the HDMI inputs on my TV - but I've been through 2 or 3 TVs and I've always noticed that the PS3 had a slightly sharper (in an unpleasant way) image than the 360, even if they were both plumbed in via a digital input. I'm not claiming it's the same for the PS4, it's as likely that the flat panels were badly configured, but I dunno. I hope it isn't.

Why on earth do you think its illegal?

The system comes on its own and yet retailers say you can't buy it solo unless you take a bundle.

Isn't this what Simply Games were getting their wrists slapped for not so long ago?

People who wanted the system having bundles forced on them?

I remember a big kick up around the 360 launch when Game were challenged for the same practice and they absolutely denied it, stock on shelves but all forced bundles.

There's a night and day difference between using HDMI1 and HDMI2 on my TV: one displays at the panel's native resolution, the other is limited to standard resolutions like 720p with scaling and ringing artifacts that give edges a hard cast.

Does undoing those special little anti-tamper clips (mentioned in the wired tear-down) to replace the hdd invalidate the PS4 warranty in any way? I wonder why they are there, if not for warranty purposes?

I imagine that they won't do warranty work on the HDD if you break it during a swap. Didn't the PS3 have a blue screw that made it obvious when you'd swapped a drive?

My honest impressions after spending a bit of time with it were:

1) I want the pad. I'll use it to finish my PS3 backlog (it does work apparently).

2) Nobody apart from a hardcore gamer is going to notice any visual improvement in the launch titles over current-gen, barring perhaps Killzone.

3) Once the initial 2 or 3 million or so are sold through to the core gaming market it's going to be a hard sell. It really is an incremental upgrade.

4) I'm glad I bought a WiiU for now.

Thanks for taking the time to share all this.

The pad sounds great, really can't wait to get my hands on it.

As for the incremental upgrade comments, I guess time will tell. I certainly think the cross generation stuff is going to be the most underwhelming stuff we see, and of course a lot of the publishers are really stretching to get their marquee titles out across all viable platforms this Christmas, which means there's going to be minimal effort spent on exploiting the strengths of each platform.

I'd be surprised if first party titles like Killzone, Drive Club, Infamous and The Order didn't readily stand out as a clear leap above the current gen. It's also worth remembering the reception many first gen 360 and PS3 were greeted with. If you compare the first Resistance game to Resistance 3, then that leap in itself is borderline generational.

I'm sure future games on both PS4 and Xbox One will leave their launch titles in the dust, and third parties will really begin to shine when they can leave behind the current gen consoles.

Actually, just staying with that thought, are there any third party games which are releasing only on both next gen consoles and PC?

Simply Games were forcing people to upgrade to a bundle otherwise they wouldn't sell them the PS4 they'd already agreed to sell on its own.

Quite - that was an offer to sell something that was then revoked at a time which was unfair on the customer (and I'm not sure it's strictly illegal - just sharp practice). There's nothing but bad publicity (and perhaps the threat of less stock from Sony, if they fancy some easy PR) to stop game et al only selling PS4s with a big tin of cat food if they wish, certainly nothing if they've got additional stock and honour their existing orders first.

I originally thought it was just the HDMI inputs on my TV - but I've been through 2 or 3 TVs and I've always noticed that the PS3 had a slightly sharper (in an unpleasant way) image than the 360, even if they were both plumbed in via a digital input. I'm not claiming it's the same for the PS4, it's as likely that the flat panels were badly configured, but I dunno. I hope it isn't.

You might already know this, you might not.

Two things.

1.Set your tv and ps3 to the same colour spacing.

Your tv needs to be told what colour spacing to expect ie full or limited rgb.

My samsung tv has the setting as "Hdmi black levels"

The settings are then either normal (full rgb) or low (limited rgb)

I couldn't get a good picture from the ps3 until i set my tv and ps3 to full rgb.

I then downloaded a set of test patterns (iso image) which i burnt to a dvd in order to set brightness (black level) and contrast (white levels)

I now have an amazing picture where as before the picture either seemed to dark or looked washed out.

2.Reduce your sharpness level to 0 or at least experiment.

Lcd t.vs are already pixel perfect, sharpening the picture only introduces artifacting.

The picture may look different than what you're used to at first but i immediately noticed more detail and less aliasing.

You should also experiment with your back light to get an optimal balance between black levels and shadow detail.

Make sure you pick your back light level before you do your other settings.

As for the xbox360, it seems very forgiving of mistakes and i managed to get it looking good before i knew any of the above.

There's lots of info about regarding all these settings on the net so have a look about.

If anybody has anything to add to this please feel free.

I'd be surprised if first party titles like Killzone, Drive Club, Infamous and The Order didn't readily stand out as a clear leap above the current gen. It's also worth remembering the reception many first gen 360 and PS3 were greeted with. If you compare the first Resistance game to Resistance 3, then that leap in itself is borderline generational.

Absolutely.

I treat my gaming platforms like a 5-a-side team (stick with this). So, realistically, I can only have 5 platforms playing at the same time. For me, that's Vita, PC, Wii-U, 360 and one other (probably the PS3 at the moment). I assumed the first time I played a PS4 it would book itself a slot, no bother. But, realistically, I think I'll give it a year to bake in the football oven (this metaphor is falling apart).

The PC gives me fidelity, the Vita portability, the 360 a cheap library + machine for the kids and the Wii-U the asymmetric and offTV play capabilities + Nintendo IP. I don't have a niche for the PS4 at the moment. If there had been a launch title that grabbed me by the chuckies and demanded I buy the machine I'd have folded. I like Killzone a lot (Mercenary on the Vita is fantastic) and it looks lovely - but I can get lovely on the PC. I know I'll have one eventually - I guess it's just like we've parted ways for a bit and agreed to see other people but accept in our hearts of hearts we'll probably end up together. I just wanted to be wowed. Admittedly expecting a pinball game to do this might have been a bit optimistic.

One thing I did think was interesting was the total lack of Xbox One promotion (I fiddled with the PS4 in a hypermarket). OK, there's a while to go and I'm in France a traditionally Sony held territory, but there was NOTHING for the One. Not even a poster. I assume MS will ratchet things up closer to launch but it was a bit odd.

I did watch the reaction of a few other people. Perhaps worryingly the thing that seemed to cause the most discussion was the fact the light on the back of the pad changed colour (so player 2 had a red light). Still, that's French people for you. Perhaps they mistook it for a glass of wine or something.

As for the xbox360, it seems very forgiving of mistakes and i managed to get it looking good before i knew any of the above.

There's lots of info about regarding all these settings on the net so have a look about.

If anybody has anything to add to this please feel free.

I've spent a lot of time trying to calibrate it. I get a reasonable picture on my 1080p projector. But I've never managed to get close on my last couple of TVs or PC monitor - I always thought it was "sharpness" but dropping that down a bit made no difference. It's almost a harsh quality. Indefinable, but there, and very difficult to "fix".

I will try again though. Maybe I missed something. Cheers.

Cross-gen games aren't going to demonstrate much. They're the same games with a bit of DX11 whiz. Kinda like playing them on a midrange PC.

Killzone, Knack and Resogun don't look current gen (to leave aside questions of artstyle).

Anyway...

mMm2D6O.jpg

Here's a list of PS3 that work using the DS4 (taken from reddit):

DS4 with PS3

Must be connected with a cable; cannot support wireless

Vibration, Motion Sensing, and the Playstation Button do NOT work

Connect a DS3 as a second controller, and use that for the PS button.

Share/Options work for Start/Select, similar to DS3

Working Only for core controls; motion sensing, vibration, PS button never work

Assassin's Creed 3 / 4

Batman Arkham City / Arkham Origins

Battlefield 3 / Battlefield 4

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Bioshock / Bioshock: Infinite

Borderlands 2

Call of Duty MW2 / MW3 / Black Ops / Black Ops 2

Castle Crashers

Dark Souls

Dead Island

Dead Space

Dead Nation

Demon's Souls

Diablo 3

Doom 3 BFG

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Far Cry 2

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Final Fantasy XIV / XII-2

Fallout 3 / New Vegas

Grand Theft Auto IV

Hotline Miami

Infamous + Infamous 2

Killzone 3

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD

LittleBigPlanet/LittleBigPlanet 2

Mass Effect 3

Metro: Last Light

MLB 13: The Show

Motorstorm Pacific Rift / Apocalypse

NCAA Football 14

Need for Speed Carbon

NHL 14

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Portal 2

Prototype

PS1 Games

Ratchet & Clank: HD Collection

Red Dead Redemption

Persona 4 Arena

Resident Evil 4 HD

Resident Evil Revelations

Resistance 2 (had to use a DS3 to get past the start screen, but DS4 worked fine after that)

Skylanders Giants

Skyrim

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Sniper Elite V2

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

Super Stardust HD

The Last of Us

Tomb Raider

Uncharted 1/2/3

Wipeout HD

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Zone of the Enders HD

Not Working Cannot use DS4 at all, or limited functionality when noted

Ace Combat Assault Horizon

FIFA 14

Gran Turismo 5

Grand Theft Auto V

Jak and Daxter HD Collection (only the analog sticks work)

Max Payne 3

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Resistance 3

Saint's Row The Third

Saint's Row 4

265 commentsshare

Some people might be under estimating the effect if "up res'ed" stuff. I know I did. When I saw fifa on the PS4 I did immediately notice the resolution difference, much more prominent than I thought it would be, for me as a non pc guy.

Absolutely.

I treat my gaming platforms like a 5-a-side team (stick with this). So, realistically, I can only have 5 platforms playing at the same time. For me, that's Vita, PC, Wii-U, 360 and one other (probably the PS3 at the moment). I assumed the first time I played a PS4 it would book itself a slot, no bother. But, realistically, I think I'll give it a year to bake in the football oven (this metaphor is falling apart).

The PC gives me fidelity, the Vita portability, the 360 a cheap library + machine for the kids and the Wii-U the asymmetric and offTV play capabilities + Nintendo IP. I don't have a niche for the PS4 at the moment. If there had been a launch title that grabbed me by the chuckies and demanded I buy the machine I'd have folded. I like Killzone a lot (Mercenary on the Vita is fantastic) and it looks lovely - but I can get lovely on the PC. I know I'll have one eventually - I guess it's just like we've parted ways for a bit and agreed to see other people but accept in our hearts of hearts we'll probably end up together. I just wanted to be wowed. Admittedly expecting a pinball game to do this might have been a bit optimistic.

One thing I did think was interesting was the total lack of Xbox One promotion (I fiddled with the PS4 in a hypermarket). OK, there's a while to go and I'm in France a traditionally Sony held territory, but there was NOTHING for the One. Not even a poster. I assume MS will ratchet things up closer to launch but it was a bit odd.

I did watch the reaction of a few other people. Perhaps worryingly the thing that seemed to cause the most discussion was the fact the light on the back of the pad changed colour (so player 2 had a red light). Still, that's French people for you. Perhaps they mistook it for a glass of wine or something.

:)

All good comments and your relationship analogy works perfectly.

Day one buyers will always have the thrill of the new to lure them/us out of our homes at midnight for launch, but of course we are stuck with whatever software the developers were able to put together whilst the console spec itself was in flux.

If you're not overcome with gadget lust (Ohhhhhh, that sounds so, so wrong lol) then invariably you're better off waiting a year, letting the kinks in both software and hardware smooth out, whilst allowing for a greater range of software to be released.

Of course all that goes out of the window if a system seller appears, and whilst I'm perfectly content with the PS4's launch period lineup, there doesn't look to be any one title which truly represents the type of shift in expectations that I'd hope a new generation will bring. Who knows though, those types of titles can often come out of nowhere, just look at Demon's Souls.

I added Nba2k14 to my order as it's one of the best looking launch games. However, I've just seen a new vid for it and whilst it does look good there are still issues. These might be personal things but if you look closely the hoop isn't perfectly round and whilst the shirts move nicely they're still hexagonal if you know what I mean. Is that tessellation?

This sounds ridiculously picky but that's what we're being right? The roundness of things in games has always bothered me.

Had a play in Best Buy earlier. Knack is uninspiring and looks like a current gen game. Fifa is the improvement I expected from 13>14 this year anyway, nothing special but it looks a bit nicer. Controller is good, feels right though I can see the Xbone pad being preferred for the shooters.

Games are already for sale, $59.99.

You might already know this, you might not...

Cheers for taking the time for the TV advice mate, much appreciated. With this and my BT infinity upgrade I'm PS4 ready!

Those warehouse photos are giving me a great big smile and that console-anticipation feeling you can't beat. The wheels are in motion...

Today I've fitted Ethernet around my house to a second AirPort Extreme in my bedroom, just so PS4 remote play can be the best it can be.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on my PS4 PSN list Paulando. We joined right at the start of the PS3 launch I think and, though we've never spoke, in my mind you'll always be the PLAY TV master!

Quite - that was an offer to sell something that was then revoked at a time which was unfair on the customer (and I'm not sure it's strictly illegal - just sharp practice). There's nothing but bad publicity (and perhaps the threat of less stock from Sony, if they fancy some easy PR) to stop game et al only selling PS4s with a big tin of cat food if they wish, certainly nothing if they've got additional stock and honour their existing orders first.

If you order a specific product and are then told you cannot buy that product without buying further goods then this can be prosecuted as bait and switch.

"Bait and switch" – inviting consumers to buy one product but then trying to persuade them to buy a different one.

Local Authority Trading Standards Services (TSS), the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and (in Northern Ireland) the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment have a duty to enforce the CPRs, using the "most appropriate means".

These range from informal regulatory (or self-regulatory) procedures to a civil action for an enforcement order, and, in the worst cases, criminal proceedings.

Cross-gen games aren't going to demonstrate much. They're the same games with a bit of DX11 whiz. Kinda like playing them on a midrange PC.

Killzone, Knack and Resogun don't look current gen (to leave aside questions of artstyle).

Anyway...

mMm2D6O.jpg

Amazon:

1393537_10153439266890261_2039999253_n.j