mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

5 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

This keeps happening to me as well, it's ridiculous. Only with Fortnite though

Its happened with loads of games, I have a usb drive hanging off the ps4 (fucking front only USB ports, Sony really are idiots at times) so it hadn’t happened for a while but Fortnite was on the internal so moved it to solve.

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its happened with loads of games, I have a usb drive hanging off the ps4 (fucking front only USB ports, Sony really are idiots at times) so it hadn’t happened for a while but Fortnite was on the internal so moved it to solve.

If an update failed, I presume I would see a notification, but I've not had any so I assume its not a huge problem for me. And I'm with you on the USB ports. I know its petty but it ruins the look of my nice white slim console. I charge the controllers from the mains because of this

3 hours ago, Moz said:

I have a weird problem I'm hoping someone can help with:

Setup - 

PS4 Pro

Samsung UE55 something or other

Yamaha RX-V583 

Everything's connected via HDMI, 4K, HDR on etc. 

Everything's fine and great except one thing. If I turn the TV off while Netflix is on, the Netflix app crashes. I turn the TV back on and I get "cannot continue using the application with this tv" yadda yadda. That's not the end of the world, BUT, it leaves HDR stuck on. The amount of times I've come downstairs and found the Mrs unhappily watching something on iPlayer or Youtube with insanely fucked up colours is unreal :lol: The only way to fix it is to reboot the PS4 or go into an HDR app (eg Netflix or a game) and then go back out. Weird one huh.

Device control/HDMI control is switched on for the amp and PS4 so I can control both with the same remote, but it still does it even if I switch all the HDMI control and standby sync stuff off.Any ideas besides telling the TV never to go to sleep and never switching it off when Netflix is onscreen? It doesn't do it with HDR enabled games thankfully (that would be insanely annoying!)

That content protection shite maybe?

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think they need to sort out some basic things also - I couldn’t download a 1gb update for Fortnite because I only had 44gb free space..... (null)

Oh man, don't even go there, it's mad how they can get so much right and fuck up the simple stuff.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

It's definitely putting me off upgrading. I think we all accepted some noise from our consoles until the Xbox One launched and it was practically silent. I don't think the PS5 will be silent.  It's just not enough of a selling point. They're ahead on numbers so they just need something as powerful as what MS put out at a minimum.  Which is a shame because a silent console is ace. 

I'm not even that fussed, the PS3 and OG 360 didn't bother me much. The PS4 Pro playing anything Pro enabled is on another level and I don't even have HDR on.

I don't think there's a specific thread on the game, but there's a sale on PSN at the moment consisting of games that are less than £4, and one of them is Late Shift. I vaguely remember reading about this a couple of years ago, but it's an interactive film (like they had in the early nineties) except with colossally improved production values. The setup is that your character is a car park attendant who inadvertently gets involved in a robbery, and that you, as the player, must make decisions every so often as to what he does - minor stuff like whether you speak your mind or keep quiet, or major stuff like whether you alert the police or try and help the gang get away.

It's all very Guy Ritchie, except not quite at Guy Ritchie's level -  it's more like Channel 5 trying to make a Michael Mann film - but it's a lot of fun. The story is ludicrous, and the acting and dialogue are frequently a bit fruity - some of the actors are miscast to the extent that you assume malevolent intent on behalf of the director - but the choices you make are well thought-out and frequently face you with a real dilemma, and the whole thing has a compelling narrative drive to it. It's very cliched, and ridiculously hammy in places, but the fact that you have some kind of influence over proceedings gives it a real energy.

For £3.29, I thought it was a fun ride - you can play it through in a maximum of about an hour. There's some replay value as well in seeing how alternate choices would have played out. It would have been nice to be able to jump to specific decision points rather than play through the whole story again, although given how short it is, it's not a huge problem. It's on sale until 21/02 if anyone else wants to give it a shot - it's worth a try, provided you're fairly forgiving of some clumsy dialogue and some slightly stilted performances.

• Upvote 1

@K

I bought Late Shift in the Xbox sale. I saw it and thought ‘what the hell is this?’ and upon reading that it’s an interactive movie game I had to buy it. Not played it but when I read up on it they seemed to say it was an interesting enough return to a dead genre. Mainly because the budget seemed pretty lavish and it’s pretty well produced. 

How long does a play through take?

Just now, Yiggy said:

@K

I bought Late Shift in the Xbox sale. I saw it and thought ‘what the hell is this?’ and upon reading that it’s an interactive movie game I had to buy it. Not played it but when I read up on it they seemed to say it was an interesting enough return to a dead genre. Mainly because the budget seemed pretty lavish and it’s pretty well produced. 

How long does a play through take?

It took me about an hour, although I assume that it could potentially take a lot less time depending on the choices you make. It's about the right length for what it is. The production values are surprisingly good - It's really nicely shot, and some sequences are well-staged. Some of the performances let it down a bit, though. The main character is not bad, but sometimes struggles to make the dialogue sound natural. and there's an inadvertently hilarious bit halfway through with a gang of "hardened" criminals who seem to have done serious time in HMP Hollyoaks. 

Power cut on Saturday night and I found that my Pro wouldn't boot afterwards, asked for a USB stick with latest firmware, now I've done that it's saying the hard drive will be formatted.

Im going to lose all my saves and have to re-download all my games, is there no other way?

• Empathy 1

4 minutes ago, Gorf said:

Power cut on Saturday night and I found that my Pro wouldn't boot afterwards, asked for a USB stick with latest firmware, now I've done that it's saying the hard drive will be formatted.

Im going to lose all my saves and have to re-download all my games, is there no other way?

You could try booting it into safe mode and seeing if it gives you the option to rebuild the database, I had to do that when my PS4 wouldn't start at all at one point.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/power---system-stability/safe-mode-on-playstation-4/

I had to physically unplug it for 20 minutes before I tried it though. Worth a go I think

6 minutes ago, Gorf said:

This is why I always turn my PS4 off, after use. Instant on is useful, but not worth the trouble IMHO.

A power cut completely killed my PS4's 2TB hard drive a while ago. It kept freezing up after that, even after completely reinstalling the OS. I replaced it with a nippy hybrid drive after that though, which is lovely.

8 minutes ago, Gorf said:

If you have PS+ your saves should be uploaded to their servers automatically so should be safe. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

This is why I always turn my PS4 off, after use. Instant on is useful, but not worth the trouble IMHO.

Think I will start doing this. I reckon my problem was caused by a power outage during an update in rest mode. Thought I was going to have to send it off, only had it a few months. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Anyone’s else’s PS4 make a noticeable fan noise and produce a little heat out the back when in rest mode?   I wouldn’t normally notice but it’s in our bedroom and sometimes I can hear the fucker so turn it off completely. Not sure if that’s normal. Pretty sure the others are a lot more “”at rest”