Smitty

The Wind Waker remake for WiiU - not just HD

In the new version there will be a specific button to make Link impersonate a cat whenever he wants, instead of just that one time that he was allowed to impersonate a cat in the original.

Also the final boss will be that malevolent fat pig that was the deadliest thing in the entire game

• Upvote 4

PeWzFMw.png

See, Nintendo. I resent having to pay 99p per Virtual Console title I've already bought just because you enabled Gamepad support but I'll buy this as soon as it comes out because it's remade with the sort of love and care that I'd expect.

In the new version there will be a specific button to make Link impersonate a cat whenever he wants, instead of just that one time that he was allowed to impersonate a cat in the original.

Also the final boss will be that malevolent fat pig that was the deadliest thing in the entire game

Look as long as it has a button dedicated to calling Mario, they can do whatever they want.

Seems like it's the original development art assets, but they've added a realtime lighting model.

GBA connectivity on the Wii U Gamepad, obviously.

It'll probably be full price too, unlike the HD remasters, the precedent has been set with Starfox.

Will they actually put in the cut out content and maybe remove some annoying stuff like the first dungeon, or is it just a bump to HD with slightly brushed up graphics? All in all I would prefer a 3DS version really, that might tempt me if they put some effort in to make it less rubbish than the original GC game was.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

The "tuning" will involve making Link scowl more often for the American market

Oh christ don't say this remake will mean we get another ten years of napoleon getting outraged about the wind waker. Fucking Nintendo they've gone too far this time

• Upvote 5

Oh, don't worry. If it's just a brushed up version of the original I won't touch it with a 10ft pole.

Can you read? The visuals are clearly more than just a HD mastering, and Nintendo have said they are going to 'tune up' the game.

Admittedly we don't know how ambitious they are going to be in the latter regard - ie will it be as complete a remake as TR (ie remixed environments, new mechanics, all new graphics) or will they just 'edit' the game with new lighting engine on top of the old assets (as RJ speculates) and chop and change some stuff like the triforce quest?

But it's clearly more than 'brushed up', even at this early point. That's why I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

No it does look like original development assets (i.e. ones slightly higher in quality than what they have in the GC original).

Notice they don't do a side by side comparison of the same bit, but instead blow up a 480p close-up of a location in the original to fullscreen so it looks a bit crap, and then show the 720p image of the whole island from the distance as the "comparison". The textures are higher res like regular re-releases. It'll likely have better performance too.

Textures up-rezzed, performance increased, like regular old re-releases.

Regular old re-releases have stuff like massively different different lighting engines, do they?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I've been out of the country and had no Internet access for the past week. This is the best news EVER to return to. Admittedly it might be the jet lag talking but I could almost weep human tears at the prospect of this. Bloody marvellous news - the original has such a special place in my heart... To experience it again like this: God Bless You Nintendo!

Right now I'm going to have a sleep.

• Upvote 1

I doubt there'll be too much difference between this and the original. I imagine the "tuning" extends to reducing the ridiculous number of Rupees you have to pay for the maps at the end of the game.

Ok ok, time to turn this back into a RLLMUK thread...

This looks shit! Cell shaded artwork isn't supposed to have shadows!!? Also all they have clearly done is just thrown this at some studio who doesn't have the resources to remake everything. They are clearly just doubling the size of the textures and applying a sharpen filter (with minor touchup at most). For the normals they are just obviously greyscaling the diffuse (colourmaps) through a convertor so you get flat bland normal maps like in games from 2006. The characters just don't fit in the environment. Also I bet that stupid long tedious section at the end of the game is still there.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

I'm sure I could find this information out if I really tried but laziness has prevailed: was there any hint at release time frame?

Edit: Oh, autumn. Bah.

I hope the 100 floor cave has been expanded into a 100000 floor battle cave, to take advantage of the extra space available on the blurray disc

The sailing was excellent. Make haste and kill yourself.

I enjoyed the sailing, wasn't a fan of the crushing disappointment of discovering so many bland and/or empty islands at the end of it all though.

Would have preferred a new Wind Waker game with more - larger and more populated - islands.

Still, I think I'll need to get a Wii U for this. Even more so if they add any kind of new content.

http://www.polycount...ad.php?t=104415

Nice tech analysis of the original.

Very interesting.

I thought i'd say that where he notes that the game uses IK (inverse kinematics, right?) for Link's feet, he says he thought that Uncharted was the first game to use it before noticing it in WW.

It was used after WW but before Uncharted in Shadow of the Colossus too - note the superb way Argo's feet react to the floor, as well as the Collosi.