spatular

Nintendo 3DS

My mates massively moaning about the Super 3DS...

With the coloured buttons & all, they totally should have called it that.

At least then we wouldn't have all this confusion over 'New' 3DS when you're trying to talk about different units.

Currently on hols in the states and tempted by a n3ds for the journey home. Anybody know if it will be simple when back in the uk to buy new games by downloading them from the usa store? Or any other problems I might encounter?

Currently on hols in the states and tempted by a n3ds for the journey home. Anybody know if it will be simple when back in the uk to buy new games by downloading them from the usa store? Or any other problems I might encounter?

I've got a US 3DS and yeah, it's super-easy to download stuff from the eShop. It's a little troublesome to get credit, but not exactly difficult or anything. Buy a bunch of that before you leave the US.

It's good if you like to download games when they come out, but if you're the kind of person who can wait six months then probably get a PAL one, that way you can take advantage of the often cheap cheap prices at retail in the UK on 3DS games.

• Upvote 1

And is it real wood, or just plastic?

Plastic backed with a wood veneer it seems to me... But I'm not an expert. Feels wooden to the touch and very satisfying!

Have to admit to a 'few' problems though. I didn't realise micro sd cards came in different formats, and the 64GB SDXC card I bought is pointless as it's not supported. Luckily I have put it in my phone and popped the 32GB SDHC card in the 3DS.

Also didn't realise I'd have to format it on my laptop, I just assumed the 3DS would do it for me.

Spent a few hours sorting this stuff out, and buying a screwdriver from Maplins and now downloading games. But won't get to play today as I've got folks over for Anti-Valentines board games.

Well done to Nintendo and DPD for great delivery service though!

Kid Icarus Uprising is often ignored because the control system is inexcusably awful. There's a core of a good game in there, and a lot of love and attention obviously went into developing it, but Yeah, if you can't control it without a high level of frustration, there's not much enjoyment to be had.

Still, I really actually hope that Nintendo patch Kid Icarus Uprising (which is admittedly very unlikely) to use the New 3DS' C-stick and extra buttons and so on to give it proper dual-stick control. That would help enormously.

Plastic backed with a wood veneer it seems to me... But I'm not an expert. Feels wooden to the touch and very satisfying!

Have to admit to a 'few' problems though. I didn't realise micro sd cards came in different formats, and the 64GB SDXC card I bought is pointless as it's not supported. Luckily I have put it in my phone and popped the 32GB SDHC card in the 3DS.

Your card will be fine. Just format it to fat32 as per my guide.

Well Nintendo has totally fked my account up. I just logged in and I have someone else's credit card information on there and £50.00 in credit.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Kid Icarus Uprising is ignored because the control system is inexcusably awful. There's a core of a good game in there, and a lot of love and attention obviously went into developing it, but… Yeah, if you can't control it, there's not much enjoyment to be had. Still, I really actually hope that Nintendo patch Kid Icarus Uprising (which is admittedly very unlikely) to use the New 3DS' C-stick and extra buttons and so on to give it proper dual-stick control. That would help enormously.

Kid Icarus is indeed an absolutely staggering game.

The control method - as alienating as it is - is intrinsically baked into it.

It would be impossible to replicate the super quick & precise motions this game demands (and has been built around) with a dual analogue setup.

Like most fans, I've never took the stand thingy out of the box and just forced myself to adjust. Its idiosyncrasies, insane production values and all round uniqueness are worth persevering for, I'd say.

Got my black New XL today. Did the system transfer from my old one only to find out the microSD card slot on the new one is fucked and just keeps popping the card back out. I would just go and buy one from Game tomorrow and send this one back to Amazon but there's that stupid limit on system transfers only being allowed once every seven days which basically means I'll have to wait seven days before I send it back. In the mean time I just cut a piece of card to hold the microSD in place while the back is closed.

Can't help but think I'm missing the point of my new toy slightly, but I was part way through Oracle of Ages and playing on New XL after starting on vanilla standard the difference in looks is pretty staggering. So much more vibrant on the new machine.

Decided to get stuck in after the love I've found for my wii u (gets loads of sofa play time). I can't settle on whether to get an new XL or a normal though. I will probably use it a lot on holiday and while travelling and also share with my 7 year old daughter as know she'll love animal crossing. My main concern with XL is that the bigger screen will look more pixelated which being bit of a graphics whore might bother me if the smaller one will look sharper. Thoughts and advice welcomed (#firstworldproblems)

Spent the day doing a lot of travelling on trains today, had my N3DS with me and 3D effect on full the whole time, only time it lost itself or went a bit funny was when I was holding the console at almost full arms length, battery hardly dropped at all, made a good amount of progress through Mario 3D Land and gained 5 new street passes, would've thought I'd get a bit more activity than that walking round London tbh.

Whew, finally got the New 3DS set up thanks to deKay's instructions. Turns out that I had a lot of 'redundant' data on the SD Card since its the one I've used since the original 3DS. Even though I had a backup I was tracing/comparing folders & copying/moving/deleting them as gingerly as if I was attempting Brain surgery.

Now that everything is transferred (all my games, saves, streetpasses, etc are present & correct) I can box my old 3DSXL up & see how much I can trade it in for. Hopefully it'll be the majority or perhaps even all i'll need for Majora's Mask...