rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Orko

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Did anyone see the weather report from 17 Dec 2015?

I like the Back to the Future one, not quite as subtle as TFA but bonus points for her saying "once the rain biffs away..."

I'm listening to the audiobook of TFA, which is one extra tragic step further than reading the novelisation of a Star Wars movie. However, the dude reading it does an excellent Harrison Bored. You know when you're talking and you yawn mid-sentence? Imagine that moment maintained indefinitely.

E. L. James' Return of the Jedi

Leia felt the cold, gold metal against her lower lips. The distant coolness of the outfit started to feel strangely appealing, like a weekend spent on rainy Naboo. She slowly was coming around to what the enigmatic space slug, otherwise known as Jabba the Hutt, insisted upon.

The powerful creature had an aroma of week old mildew mixed with the stench of dried sweat, a scent that reminded her of space aerobics and her auntie, a frail old woman that smelled of week old mildew mixed with dried sweat.

His skin was a greenish brown, like an apple... or something. He, the gang boss with an extraordinary tongue like a rampant snake with a mind of its own that promised her a night unlike any she had ever experienced, tugged at the choke chain fastened around her neck.

Like a scolded dog she felt ready to submit, her resistance worn down by her apparent abandonment by her rebel friends, like a discarded tissue filled with the detritus of a heavy sneeze. Alone, isolated and scared in this dark corner of Mos Eisley she closed her eyes and readied herself and her sleek young body for what Jabba intended. She was his and with that increasing acceptance came an eagerness that felt like an awakening. Blood flowed towards her lady parts like a gushing river that had broken its banks and all hell was about to break loose.

• Upvote 8

I guess maybe some people don't want to know the behind the scenes stuff. Like I would have never guess the thing that is in that spoiler.

I mean, I know it's not really a spoiler but it's polite of him to stick in tags anyway. Shows good manners. :)

For a film that made something of a pre-release virtue of its distance from the prequels' over-use of all-digital environments, there are an amusing number of "all digital shot" captions in that video. :-)

Edit: The above sentence brought to you by Fans of Alan Dean Foster.

• Upvote 1

For a film that made something of a pre-release virtue of its distance from the prequels' over-use of all-digital environments, there are an amusing number of "all digital shot" captions in that video. :-)

It's pretty amazing to see how much was still digital. Basically the entirety of all the ship-to-ship and dogfighting action, with the exception of some real Lake District backgrounds. Also lots of stuff that I assumed was on a much larger soundstage or on location (e.g the snowy forest at the end) was actually a relatively small set with a fully digital background.

It just shows that CGI isn't the problem, it's CGI done poorly or used inappropriately. From those brief flashes it seems that the key difference with TFA and the prequels is that the actors at least have the immediate props, environment and other actors to work with.

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine did some CGI for this and kept bitterly laughing at all the articles about the massive use of practical effects.

I am glad they ditched the latter exposition as it would have telegraphed that moment much much sooner and possibly ruined it.

I disagree. Although I didn't think much of The Force Awakens as it is, there's stuff like this in the novelisation and that Chewbacca comic that would have made everything so much stronger. Star Wars isn't known for its subtlety of story telling. It's good vs bad. Heroes in white and baddies in black.

If he's/I'm told that Vader didn't become the best Sith because he couldn't kill his family and I'm already aware that he idolises Vader, when he's presented with a chance to kill his father, I know there's some dramatic tension there and I'm invested in his decision when he's confronted by Han.

Instead, I came out of it thinking Kylo Ren was just a bit of a teenage bastard and Chewbacca isn't a very good shot.

If he's/I'm told that Vader didn't become the best Sith because he couldn't kill his family and I'm already aware that he idolises Vader, when he's presented with a chance to kill his father, I know there's some dramatic tension there and I'm invested in his decision when he's confronted by Han.

But you already know that from watching ROTJ. The fact that it (along with lots of other things) is not spelt out is one of the film's strengths.

However, there is some plot related exposition that might have improved the film a little, particularly around how the three main factions relate to one another. I also like the plot point that Snoke ordered the firing of the weapon to draw out the Resistance. That's glossed over very quickly in the film.

• Upvote 1

William S Burroughs' The Force Awakens:

“In Jakku is the market place. Followers of obsolete, unthinkable trades doodling in Bocce, addicts of drugs not yet synthesized, pushers of souped-up death sticks, junk reduced to pure habit offering precarious vegetable serenity, liquids to induce the Force, black marketeers of the Battle of Endor, excusers of telepathic sensitivity, osteopaths of the spirit, investigators of infractions denounced by bland paranoid dejarik players, servers of fragmentary warrants taken down in hebephrenic shorthand charging unspeakable mutilations of the spirit, bureaucrats of spectral departments, officials of unconstituted Imperial states, the lung erection that strangles a sleeping enemy, sellers of orgone tanks and relaxing machines, brokers of exquisite dreams and memories tested on the sensitized cells of junk sickness and bartered for raw materials of the will, digital doctors skilled in the treatment of diseases dormant in the black dust of ruined cities, gathering virulence in the white blood of eyeless worms feeling slowly to the surface and the human host, maladies of the ocean floor and the stratosphere, maladies of the laboratory and the wars of the stars... A place where the unknown past and the emergent future meet in a vibrating soundless hum... Larval entities waiting for a Sith Lord...”
  • Upvote 8