Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

I only ever go on there if I'm trying to suss out whether a particular release is worth buying but the Beatles stuff in particular always amuses me. It's like a club full of men, middle-aged and older, who've discussed everything Beatles-related to the nth degree for decades and now the only thing they've got left to debate is whether John Lennon dressed to the left or the right on any given day. And debate it they will.

I picked up this Penguin Cafe Orchestra LP in the charity shop, thinking I'd probably flip it for profit. But having listened to it today, it's really rather charming and odd. 

_20180128_184356.thumb.JPG.4af4e959cf31e4a2c63908cf5ee0474c.JPG

• Upvote 2

Yeah those first couple of records have never been 'cool' (not helped by some of the tracks being used in so many commercial settings) but they're really good and pretty unique.

Can't help you there, have you tried emailing them? I guess if it's Royal Mail you probably have to wait out however many working days before anyone will chase it up though.

I finally had a proper listen to Loveless last night and my ears pricked up quite a few times at things I've not noticed before. It can be that sort of album anyway of course but I can't remember it ever happening so many times in one listen. Both albums are centred and dead silent too. They've done a great job with them.

29 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Still waiting on MBV remasters. Anyone else still not got theirs? I'm dying to hear what they sound like.

I got my Loveless remaster in the post and it's real good. 

It was a bit dirty straight from the pressing so needed a bit of a clean, and it's not quite as bright sounding as I would have imagined, but it's still very good. 

Most new records I've bought of recent have been great, with the exception of a non-remaster copy of "Spiderland" by Slint -- which might be an old stock copy -- which was utterly fucked and banana shaped.  

Yeah, either my luck's turned or things have improved from a few years back as far as manufacturing goes. Relatively speaking I don't seem to get anything like as many severe issues.