roskelld

Oculus Rift (VR Headset)

http://www.kickstart...p-into-the-game

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

Now this looks like an interesting Kickstarter.

• Upvote 1

The guys still taking money on his kickstarter by the way. 300 bucks get you one with a copy of doom bfg :D

Im seriously tempted! The guys shooting for December this year to ship them all. Get one for Christmas!

I've splashed 300 on it. I love VR and hopefully this one might be the one to break through.

Would love to try getting escapeVektor to work on PC with VR so you can look about as you play the levels... Don't hold me to it tho' ;)

I was listening to Carmack's Quakecon presentation about this. He goes on for about an hour and a half about how it was all put together and in the end says that what they are producing is really for developers. The first one is going to work rather well but the resolution is severely limited. He was saying the plan is to have a commercial one planned out by the end of the year when they can actually put a high res screen and remove more of the latency issues.

90's VR was massively ahead of its time and over hyped and under delivered.

it has been due a make over and come back for sometime and I am pleased its back.

forget kinecs and wiis and motion controls - if done right - this truely is the next step in gaming and will change it forever.

• Upvote 6

Yeah, I can't wait to see proper retail units of this thing once they get nicely hi-res screen in there. 1080p per eye would seem to be the minimum needed.

It'd definitely get me back into PC gaming as there's no way that the current gen consoles have enough grunt to push that many pixels at a decent frame rate. Without the frame rate, it render the improved lag times irrelevant.

Without the frame rate, it render the improved lag times irrelevant.

It amused me that Gaikai were supporters of this. Imagine playing a streamed game on this. Suuper lag.

I recon things like the Arma series were made for something like this. ^_^

John Carmack and the rift creator seam really enthusiastic that a more consumer friendly version will be available as early as next year aswell. Honestly cant wait.

It'll be good not just for cutting edge games but also it'll make revisiting older games a really unique and tempting thing.

Imagine Hollywood Holocaust from Duke 3d in VR or freekin Redneck Rampage, or Doom 1 for that matter. Sure these games were never 3d anyway but for the sheer field of view that wraps around you, it would be like playing them all anew :D

It amused me that Gaikai were supporters of this. Imagine playing a streamed game on this. Suuper lag.

John Carmack is fairly knowledgeable about the sources of lag, and how to minimise them. His recent Quakecon keynote included a section talking about this VR stuff and cloud streamed games. He reckoned that if you actually designed games around the strengths of data centers, you could remove the current sources of lag caused by weaksauce home hardware, which would compensate for the internet-induced lag, and you'd have a game experience about the same as what people obliviously currently put up with in terms of console hardware and laggy flat-panel display devices.

how did the 1990s VR machines head movement sensing work anyways?

EMF

http://design.osu.ed...y/lesson17.html

In 1979 F.H Raab and others described the technology behind what has been one of the most widely utilized tracking systems in the VR world — the Polhemus. This six degrees of freedom electromagnetic position tracking was based on the application of orthogonal electromagnetic fields. Two varieties of electromagnetic position trackers have been implemented — one uses alternating current (AC) to generate the magnetic field, and the other uses direct current (DC).

In the Polhemus AC system, mutually perpendicular emitter coils sequentially generate AC magnetic fields that induce currents in the receiving sensor, which consists of three passive mutually perpendicular coils. Sensor location and orientation therefore were computed from the nine induced currents by calculating the small changes in the sensed coordinates and then updating the previous measurements.

post-181-0-81252500-1344438276.jpg

Edited by SeanR
  • Upvote 2

I remember playing Dark Forces and the Quake demo using one of those VR headsets and it was actually really good (comparatively), this really will be the next thing but it does also go away even further from any sort of social 'sofa' gaming and further towards a whole 'jacking yourself in' type arrangement.

Still bloody cool though and I was almost tempted to chip in for one but it's a bit lumpy for me really.

John Carmack is fairly knowledgeable about the sources of lag, and how to minimise them. His recent Quakecon keynote included a section talking about this VR stuff and cloud streamed games. He reckoned that if you actually designed games around the strengths of data centers, you could remove the current sources of lag caused by weaksauce home hardware, which would compensate for the internet-induced lag, and you'd have a game experience about the same as what people obliviously currently put up with in terms of console hardware and laggy flat-panel display devices.

Except this device needs to be much, much better than current laggy panels. That is a challenge. Streaming games will never eliminate the lag and that lag will be on top of local display hardware. Gaikai streaming will never work well on this.

He said the current lag is around 40-50ms for the Oculus Rift (20ms LCD panel latency), but the magic number for immersive VR is 20ms, so anybody expecting this to be perfect and mature, reset your expectations, which is something Carmack spent a fair amount of time warning people about.

Didn't he say they hoped to fix it in the consumer version, along with the resolution? Don't forget the kickstarter is for the weird dev model made of loo roll and belly button fluff. I hope they make it look all badass too.

LiquidImageMRG.jpg

Boobs

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He was talking about the nitty gritty details to keep people's expectations in check for those who had used previous gen VR attempts, the tech is closing in on perfection, but it isn't 100% there yet, still problems to be overcome.

Claiming VR is consumer ready is like saying the Wiimote or Kinect are robust perfected versions of their chosen technologies.

VR was massive news in the mid 90s. quite laughable with the technology they had back then really.

I've always wondered why they never brought it back, but it really needs refinding (ie some kinda kinect type system?). It also screws your eyes up though right?

So newest estimates say March for the dev kits, yeah?

I'm working now but when during the kickstarter I was an unemployed bum, so...preorder a kit now or wait until some bright spark gets it working properly with the likes of Arma? :D

This is by far the most exciting thing to happen to games for a long, long time. Imagine Battlefield 3/4 with this?

Pure screaming as a tank roles by :lol:

i'm never going to own a gaming pc again, but this and a steambox would really float my boat.

in many ways its the beginning of the end. can you imagine a world 50 years after the mass successful introduction of a tech like this?

After seeing the Verge guy using this and loving it, I think I'm ever more excited for this than any next gen consoles right now... please come out properly by next Christmas, please.

No idea why my video won't show proper, maybe as I'm using the timing skip to get to the right part? Either way, my link takes to you straight to it.

• Upvote 2

L4D with this thing will be fucking intense.

Here's a great interview from Tested (excellent tech podcast if you're not already subscribed!)

Shut up and take my money. The PC is going to put up a serious fight next gen.

• Upvote 2