Football Thread 2012/13

You mean apart from having finished 5th twice, winning the league cup and having brought in the manager who'd won the UEFA cup twice in a row? Just because Ramos failed doesn't mean we were some semi-professional chancers Harry lifted up from obscurity, regardless of how many times he said "2 points from 8 games" in his post-match.

That manager was getting spurs relegated though

Anyone else read Wesley Sneijder's 'apparent' wage demands of £200,000 per week? What a fucked up world we live in eh?

It's difficult to quantify really, there is so much money in the game these days that star players are always going to think they are worth a fairly significant slice of it. Sneijder has been on at least £200k a week at Inter for a while now. He signed a new contract with Inter when they were sweeping all before them and while he was at the absolute peak of his form just after the Champions league win and the 2010 world cup. But after Jose left then it all went to shit and Inter now have the problem that they are stuck with a player on £10m+ a year who isnt out of contract until the summer of 2015.

Sneijder is in a very strong position from a negotiations point of view, which is probably why Inter are willing to sell him for a relatively cheap transfer fee. Better to get him off their books than give him another £25m in wages and have him leave for free. I'm sure any kind of deal will see Sneijder get a big fat pay off from Inter, especially if he has to take a pay cut to join a new club. Personally I think he is a bit over rated and probably not worth the money. You probably need to build your whole team around him to get the most out of him and even then will he recapture the sparking form of three years ago? It wouldnt surprise me if he ended up playing for oil money in Russia.

You mean apart from having finished 5th twice, winning the league cup and having brought in the manager who'd won the UEFA cup twice in a row? Just because Ramos failed doesn't mean we were some semi-professional chancers Harry lifted up from obscurity, regardless of how many times he said "2 points from 8 games" in his post-match.

i forgot the period where Spurs were a serious top 4 team before Redknapp. Maybe because they never were. For all his faults Redknapp did a good job.

Also; another angle on the Baines free kick. It looked like it hit Obertan when the camera angle is behind the goal.

1357159652714.gif

I dont think it does take a deflection, does it? That is just unbelievable power.

It's strange. There seems to be so much wrong with that from that angle.

I can't believe how all three of the Newcastle players jump out of the way, turn sideways on or turn right around. Awful.

It looks like Krul gets fooled by the movement of Marveaux (#22) who moves out of the way of the ball (at least where he thinks the ball is going to go).

I can't believe how all three of the Newcastle players jump out of the way, turn sideways on or turn right around. Awful.

It looks like Krul gets fooled by the movement of Marveaux (#22) who moves out of the way of the ball (at least where he thinks the ball is going to go).

What's strange about it? The way he makes contact, if it was going to move then that's the way I'd have expected it to go without it touching anyone at that pace, and I think Jagielka was with Marveaux who might've influenced things although it's not like there's much time for anyone to react really.

As for Obertan in particular jumping out of the way, I know they're paid handsomely to be there but even so the footballing equivalent of having your knackers clapped between two bricks is going to make anyone think twice.

Marveaux is on the right of the three in the wall as we look at it (the number 22), not the one with Jags. It looks like he thinks Baines is striking the ball right at him and he shifts our of the way. Krul sees this and reacts by stepping in the same direction as if he is expecting the ball to come through the gap where Marveaux was.

Don't worry. I'm not saying it wasn't a great free kick. It is a fantastic strike from distance. I just reckon Newcastle fans (and Pardew) would expect better from a wall, especially given Baines's good reputation.

Any Spurs supporter that thinks Redknapp wasn't good for your club is delusional but anybody that thinks he saved them from relegation just because they had a bad start to the season is a bit stupid as well.

I think Redknapp was great for the club at the time, he was just what we needed. But it became very apparent from the middle of the season onwards that Harry's tactical skills were limited and he had no idea how to change the formation and tactics of the team when we were one or two players down. Then there was the court case, then the England job debacle, both huge distractions that added to a a massive slump in form mid season which contributed to us missing the Champions League spot which was the number one aim for the club.

AVB seems to be a lot more focussed on the team and getting results and is doing a good job, so as far as us fans are concerned, Daniel Levy made the right decision in getting rid of Harry when he did.

Torres, he's garbage

No desire, Doesn't seem to want the ball and has no first touch so can't hold it up either. How much longer does the midfield have to carry him? We look like a team playing with 10 men from the outset.

I'll be delighted when he's shipped out and replaced by someone with some heart.

I think Redknapp was great for the club at the time, he was just what we needed. But it became very apparent from the middle of the season onwards that Harry's tactical skills were limited and he had no idea how to change the formation and tactics of the team when we were one or two players down. Then there was the court case, then the England job debacle, both huge distractions that added to a a massive slump in form mid season which contributed to us missing the Champions League spot which was the number one aim for the club.

AVB seems to be a lot more focussed on the team and getting results and is doing a good job, so as far as us fans are concerned, Daniel Levy made the right decision in getting rid of Harry when he did.

Poor Redknapp, he qualifies Spurs for the champions league and be comes a victim of his own success as now their fans believe they have a right to qualify for the competition every season. But i'm confused he didn't fail last season, he got Spurs in the top 4, how is it Redknapp's fault that his team was deprived because Chelsea won the champion's league?

We threw away 3rd place, that's why.

4th the season before too. It wasn't just the fact that he managed to engineer throwing away a 13 point lead either, the Villa game where he settled for a draw when a win would have gotten 3rd still was a breaking point. Then there was hiring Rooney's agent to do his contract negotiations and badgering Levy about it on the day of his mother's funeral, that wasn't particularly endearing.

With Modric, Bale, Lennon, VDV and Adebayor all playing together getting 4th was hardly an incredible feat unachievable by anyone bar the mighty Harry Redknapp either. AVB lost 2 of them and has had to deal with inconsistent or injured replacements as well as an injured AND inconsistent Ade this season (as well as losing Ledley!) and yet we're just as competitive in a season where the keyword is still "transition".

Nothing strange about it. Don't forget that if you get hit by a football, you can DIE.

Jack Wilshere also wisely took this into account when ducking out of the way of Demba Ba's free-kick.

Poor Redknapp, he qualifies Spurs for the champions league and be comes a victim of his own success as now their fans believe they have a right to qualify for the competition every season. But i'm confused he didn't fail last season, he got Spurs in the top 4, how is it Redknapp's fault that his team was deprived because Chelsea won the champion's league?

Dont believe we have a right but having ambitions to be a top 4 club isn't a ridiculous dream, we have a squad capable of it and Harry failed to deliver. Harsh I know but thats what he was paid (a lot of money) to do.

The Chelsea situation was unfortunate, but the simple fact was we lost too many games that season to make qualification a certainty.

Balotelli will probably get all the flak for this, but wtf is Mancini doing basically squaring up to one of his own players? Because he allegedly put in a bad tackle in training? That's totally unprofessional and a bit mental tbh.

I don't think Mancini is going to come out well out of this one. Most journos seem nonplussed by Balotelli's involvement, general theme is 'well, Mancini ought to know what Balotelli is like by now, what's he doing to manage him?'

Balotelli is supposed to be a grown man! not a fuckin' child, why should Mancini be responsible for his behaviour? Balotelli encapsulates everything which is wrong within the modern day footballer; immaturity, lack of intelligence and basically overall man child encouraged to remain in a Peter Pan state through the grotesque excesses which are lavished upon the modern day footballer. I have no doubt that he has talent but it will never be realised because of the person he is, it is only a matter of time before he's playing for some unknown team somewhere and good riddance.

It's not just Balotelli though, is it? Mancini always falls out with players and it happens so often you have to question his methods or why he keeps persisting with personalities he can't cope with.

Mancini was always a right little twat though, wasn't he? I'd heard of the first one, the rest might be Wiki facts, but it gives a general idea:

"Trevor Francis signed from Manchester City in 1982 and, aggrieved that his place was under threat, Mancini ended up picking a fight with him on the training ground. He was 18 at the time, taking on a man 10 years older. Nor was this a one-off. A similar thing happened with Liam Brady, this time giving away eight years. Juan Sebastián Verón tells the story of swearing in Mancini's direction during an argument about a badly taken corner. After the match Mancini had stripped off to the waist and was waiting to fight him. "He is not an easy person, you know," Verón says. "He has this complicated personality."[14]"