rllmuk
Timmo

Spelunky

This is currently 88 on Metacritic and Eurogamer have given it 10/10. It's also highly replayable so I think it warrants its own thread.

spelunky-xbla-01-600x323.jpg

It's based on the indie PC game and is essentially a rough cross between Indiana Jones, Mario and a Roguelike.

It's out today and I can't wait to play it. I'm thinking of getting a fightpad or one of the new silver pads with the improved D-pad. Can anyone say which is the better option?

I'm expecting glowing impressions throughout the day so I can get more excited while I wait for my mum to pick me up. Don't let me down lads.

Street Fighter IV fightpad every day of the week, best D-Pad around in my opinion. I've got the Transforming D-Pad 360 controller as well but it's marginally better than the standard.

As for the game, I'll invest in this as well. Looks cool.

I watched a bit of the Giant Bomb QuickLook and it seems right up my street. It gave me more than a few Dark Souls vibes actually, in terms of not patronising the player/spelling everything out in neon capital letters. It looks like it has a proper sense of exploration and discovery. Can't wait to give it a go. It looks like the type of game that consumes you.

I hope so, it'll save me £30! The Eurogamer review says that it much more suited to the pad than keyboard. The controls were the main thing that stopped me really getting into the PC version.

It's never even crossed my mind to use the d-pad, so I'd say the analogue is more than adequate. In fact the controls are more or less perfect, although I'd quite like it if you could have LB mapped to picking things up; it's not assigned to anything and currently you have to press down and X.

I'm right up for this and hopefully I can do better than my only other rogue like experience - Shiren on the DS where one of the first ever tips you receive is to preserve rice balls. After numerous attempts getting further and further each time I finally had an inventory load out covering all the hazards along the way, only to fall victim to a poisoned rice ball. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Aimless, write more about the game immediately. Is it merely a coat of paint or has lots been added?

'Fraid I've no idea as I haven't played the original. My understanding is that multiplayer — both competitive insanity and the misnomer of cooperative — is the big addition outside the aesthetic overhaul. Which reminds me, the music is amazing!

It's a bit weird playing an XBLA game prior to release as the leaderboards are naturally rather sparse bar games press. Even so I've only managed to get to 50 on the High Score table, but that's past my personal goal of beating Patrick Klepeck and Arthur Gies.

The game appears to be up on Xbox.com. by the way.

It's out today and I can't wait to play it. I'm thinking of getting a fightpad or one of the new silver pads with the improved D-pad. Can anyone say which is the better option?

I play the PC version with an SFIV Fightpad, so that.

I usually live under a rock, so this is the first I've heard about this game and I'm interested. What would people recommend - the PC version (played with a PlayStation-style pad) or the 360 version with a regular pad?

It's never even crossed my mind to use the d-pad, so I'd say the analogue is more than adequate. In fact the controls are more or less perfect...

Agreed. I'm playing with the analogue stick and haven't once felt that my death was due to the controls.

I've died 135 times.

For those new to the game, the tutorial doesn't tell you about crouch-walking over an edge to drop down a bit more safely; long falls can be the death of you in more ways than one.

For those new to the game, the tutorial doesn't tell you about crouch-walking over an edge to drop down a bit more safely

WHAT?

I've taken to looking down before every single drop, but does this let you fall a bit further?

WHAT?

I've taken to looking down before every single drop, but does this let you fall a bit further?

Certainly on PC you get an extra block of fall distance by ledge-hanging beforehand.

I use my snes pad when playing the original on pc. 360 controller is good but the snes pad blows it out of the water for 2d platformers. Is this fightpad better than a snes pad?

Depends, it's different but there's not much point if you've got something good already. It's got more buttons. It's got a floating dpad. It's comfier to hold. It's easier to break. I use it for any PC game that's better with a joypad but doesn't need analogue control, but it was an easy option for me to take.

Switched from the mobile rllmuk to the full version just to +1 you there clippa. That music is what got me hooked in the first place.

And of course, when it, er, distorts.

As for buying this version, i got so much out of the free original that Yu gets my money automatically.

Essentially it's the same game, but it's still brilliant and it deserves to be a big hit.

I was just thinking more for 360 games. I have an arcade stick but it's not always a good choice for 2d games like spelunky. I mean the 360 analogue stick is fine, but controls are a biggy for me, if there's something better I'd like to use it.

Depends on the game options, I don't actually use it for XBLA stuff too much although it's decent for any shooters that don't use analogue obviously. Guardian Heroes was a bit of a disappointment as I couldn't get the controls to feel right at all, but then I only played it for about ten minutes so it might need some tweaking (assuming I can - that's another problem).

I use my snes pad when playing the original on pc. 360 controller is good but the snes pad blows it out of the water for 2d platformers. Is this fightpad better than a snes pad?

Yeah, I think I would update my comment to best D-Pad ever made on the 360 Fightpad. Really large, comfy and accurate. Has transformed 360 fighting games for me, I can't see it being a problem for this.

Bloody hell, I wasn't expecting it to be quite this hard. It's making Dark Souls look like a cakewalk at the moment. It does normally feel like its my fault though.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the ghost who appears when you're taking too long. I think it's hard enough already really without what's essentially a time limit on each level.

Ahh, is that what the ghost is? I've only done the first few levels and he appeared when I was right near the exit of one of them. I stopped to have a look at it and then died.

Hmm, don't know if I like the idea of the levels being timed as well. Is there a way to defeat the ghost?