jonnatar

Okami HD

Playing 100% portable and the touch controls are awesome! Change controls so L is your brush (if righty like me) and combat is now fluid with taps of L and quick strokes. 

Outside of combat I just touch the screen to paint stuff, do circles, bombs etc saving time (pressing L) and accurate it's a joy! (you can press L to freeze time but no need out of combat /in combat prefer to freeze time) 

Never completed on ps2/wii have a great chance to now with sped up brush /portable play 

• Upvote 2

On 11/08/2018 at 09:19, ann coulter said:

The issue appears to be that the camera settings return to the default of Normal when I resume an existing save file. If I change the settings, return to the main menu, and go back into the settings, the changes have remained to Inverted, but when I start an existing save (and the camera is still fucked) and quit the game to go back into the settings, it's all returned to default. I'm going to try starting a new save with the new settings, see if that works. Something's clearly broken.

I think that’s because you didn’t save the game at one of the save points before going back to the main menu. So while the game remembers that you’ve just changed stuff when you return to the main menu and look at the settings, if you then reload your save, you’re reloading the state of the game BEFORE you made the camera change. See?

Just to confirm, changes work fine on my save. I can reload with my inverted camera intact because I made sure to go to a save point after I’d made my changes. Remember, it’s ‘minus’ in-game to go to the settings menu.

On 11/08/2018 at 09:22, ann coulter said:

Hold the fuck on. The opening 20 minute long cutscene is skippable. Cuts 20 minutes down to about 20 seconds. 

This is one of the most gratifying things I've ever read, leaving me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside just at the thought. And I don't even have a Switch!

• Upvote 1

So, 4th time of owning this game (PS2, Wii, PS4 and now Switch)

First thing to say is it looks miles better on switch than it did on PS4. The ability to play on the go also means I am putting a lot more time in than before. Maybe this time I will actually finish the thing!

I'll echo these statements. Being portable means you can squeeze a quick half hour in now and then, which is perfect for this game.

I've got further than I ever have before, and this is the 3rd time I've owned it.

I'm really tempted to triple dip on this after having given up on PS2 and Wii... slightly disheartened that I can't kip the extraordinarily long cut scenes at the start

Never played before, and it’s taken a fair while to sink it’s teeth in to me — i think the slightly clunky controls and dated feel took a while to acclimatise to — but having now beaten the first boss its clicked. 

It has has a really lovely vibe to it, and the relatively forgiving nature difficulty wise (well so far anyway) fits perfectly with my needs for a game to relax rather than frustrate at the moment. Not sure yet whether it’s got enough to see me complete it, but I’m enjoying the ride for now. 

Is it stupidly long or reasonable. Recently gave up on AC: Origins as it outstayed it’s welcome, hoping this isn’t as horribly padded out. 

11 minutes ago, spanx said:

Never played before, and it’s taken a fair while to sink it’s teeth in to me — i think the slightly clunky controls and dated feel took a while to acclimatise to — but having now beaten the first boss its clicked. 

It has has a really lovely vibe to it, and the relatively forgiving nature difficulty wise (well so far anyway) fits perfectly with my needs for a game to relax rather than frustrate at the moment. Not sure yet whether it’s got enough to see me complete it, but I’m enjoying the ride for now. 

Is it stupidly long or reasonable. Recently gave up on AC: Origins as it outstayed it’s welcome, hoping this isn’t as horribly padded out. 

Um...its how should we put this

not short

• Upvote 2

It’s one of those games that you think you’re completing and over half of it is still to come. I stopped playing it last time due to other commitments on the PS2, but I reckon it’s worth the time investment in portable form.

It’s not short, but it doesn’t outstay it’s welcome IMO.  For me it’s one of those where you can’t have too much of a good thing (hence I suppose why my Okami(den) avatar hasn’t changed in close to a decade)

• Upvote 1

I just wish the game would hand-hold the player a bit less and let you experience that a-ha! moment by yourself (I'm on 1st playthrough not that far in). 

34 minutes ago, krenzler said:

I just wish the game would hand-hold the player a bit less and let you experience that a-ha! moment by yourself (I'm on 1st playthrough not that far in). 

It does get better.  I think it's a symptom of the original era.  Now it's been redone in HD, and it holds up well, it's easy to forget that it actually was first released so long ago.  Back then all of these hand-holdy tutorial bits were the norm!

15 hours ago, spanx said:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6725

I did not expect to either be in the mood for this or enjoy it nearly half as much as I am. I can't remember the last single player game I finished, nor one I put so much time into - about twelve or thirteen hours - and I just started making progress in the Moon Cave. I've abandoned HZD, God of War, SotC, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, XC2, Ys VIII, Lost Legacy and Lord knows how many others I can't even remember, but this has gripped me.

I think it's partly that it's 'dated' in terms of structure and loop. You always know what to do next, the areas area fun to explore but there's no way of really getting lost or just wasting time trying to find the next trigger point. You're never overwhelmed with quests and shit to do, it's usually one or two objectives at any time. There's inane side stuff to do but stuff that never gets boring like feeding animals and bringing flora back to an area. It reminds me of Abzu, among other things, in that you make these small but permanent, pleasant changes to the environment.

I don't think it's faultless by any means but where it succeeds, it's so full of joy and personality that I can forgive the clunky bits. I don't think the art style has aged one bit, either. It's truly stunning at times and it's up there with the best looking games on the Switch, easily. In terms of art direction, it may well be the best looking game, alongside BotW.

I fully intend to see this one through to the end, I'm hooked. 

• Upvote 3

I've been playing this with pro controller no sweat but now a certain explosive motion is causing me trouble trying to replicate. Fixed the first time by switching to handheld but I generally prefer playing docked. Are the more elaborate motions easier with the joy-cons over the pro?

2 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I'm with you on this. I WILL complete it this time!

I think we should all make a pact....

Yup I’m in for this, fourth time I’ve bought it and this time I will get all the way through.

It really does look lovely on the small handheld screen and the touch screen input for drawing circles (and you do draw a lot of circles in this game) is so much more natural.

Yet another way of playing Okami is all well and good but they should really make another one, or at least a spiritual sequel. Imagine how that art style could look liberated from the PS2 and developed on current hardware...

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

I've been playing this with pro controller no sweat but now a certain explosive motion is causing me trouble trying to replicate. Fixed the first time by switching to handheld but I generally prefer playing docked. Are the more elaborate motions easier with the joy-cons over the pro?

I was advised in this thread to ditch motion controls and use the stick, and that'd be my advice too. Much more reliable, faster and more natural. 

Like most people I’ve bought this wonderful game multiple times, but I honestly can’t remember if I ever finished it.

Spoiler

It has a side scrolling credit scene with loads of cherry blossoms right? Or have I imagined that?

Anyway, I’ll probably buy it again.

4 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Yet another way of playing Okami is all well and good but they should really make another one, or at least a spiritual sequel. Imagine how that art style could look liberated from the PS2 and developed on current hardware...

They could always remaster the DS sequel and tweak it to work without the touch screen. That game pushed the DS hardware to the limit. 

• Upvote 1

This game never fucking ends! I’m still enjoying it, but it’s starting to outstay it’s welcome a tad now .

I’ll complete the story, for sure, but I’m not going to 100% it . Im not a lunatic.

I finished the first act, and was loving every second. Then I immediately dropped it and have no desire to go back. I think it was all the wasted time during the festival when the game refused to let me leave twice and so I scoured every inch upstairs and downstairs looking for the thing to trigger the next event or whatever it might be. Nope. Turns out you have to try to leave a third time before it says OK, but are you sure? Terrible design. I'll give the bugger a few months to ponder before I dive back in. 

Cant remember having any issue at the festival to be honest.

What happened to the pact man? I'm only completing it because i thought we were all going to finish it this time. There is nothing left for it to be remastered on, so this is our last chance!!!