Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

Which is fair enough, though imagine if the kind of careful disclosure of interests you see here applied to journalists and columnists covering actual important things, rather than games. Half the journalists in this country went to university (and/or school) with half the cabinet. Some are even married to them.

Which is fair enough, though imagine if the kind of careful disclosure of interests you see here applied to journalists and columnists covering actual important things, rather than games. Half the journalists in this country went to university (and/or school) with half the cabinet. Some are even married to them.

I don't know that the various journalist-politician friendships/marriages are particularly obscure.

Did anyone post this yet

Just got a chance to watch it and was a little disappointed. I know that they need to marry images to the soundbites but I thought it was a bit shit that they painted the harassers as being a bunch of black dudes playing fighting games in a basement. Which turned out to be a group of guys who condemned Gamergate while not agreeing with Anita's points.

Also they completely misrepresented a bit from Dishonoured as well.

Just got a chance to watch it and was a little disappointed. I know that they need to marry images to the soundbites but I thought it was a bit shit that they painted the harassers as being a bunch of black dudes playing fighting games in a basement. Which turned out to be a group of guys who condemned Gamergate while not agreeing with Anita's points.

Eh? That was a guy who owned a local game shop. When did they paint them as the harassers?

Eh? That was a guy who owned a local game shop. When did they paint them as the harassers?

Just after 1:30 mark portraying the same people as a "small but hardcore group resistant to change". Slow pan in black and white. I'd be pretty pissed off if I was that shop owner or one of their patrons. Odd choice using that as footage depicting people against change rather than pics of Milo C or skull man.

This is why I think companies like Intel taking up the cause of diversity is a good thing. I don't think individuals like Anita Sarkeesian are really the best spokespeople for such a thing.

I wouldn't put that down to her, I'd put it down to ABC news either not knowing the subject matter and still portraying all gamers as per the stereotypes.

Besides, Anita's only become the unofficial spokesperson because of the threats. Remember, this was someone who was going to run a small media studies project originally.

While we're on the subject of people being accused of only being in it for the money here's an interesting article (with some discussion.)

http://boingboing.net/2015/01/14/how-crowdfunding-helps-haters.html

Game developer Elizabeth Sampat observed that “the truth about Zoe Quinn is that every woman in the industry is one unhinged ex-partner away from being Zoe Quinn”.

All it takes is one person with an agenda, and time on their hands, to ruin someone’s life. These are the people these crowdfunding services such as Patreon, Gratipay, and GoFundMe have partnered with. They are not mere users, in the way that someone might use the telephone or Facebook, nor mere customers, as with a bank or Paypal. These services handling the billing—and in some cases the promotion and distribution—of the business of encouraging angry mobs to harass people.

GamerGate mentioned in an opinion piece in today's Guardian about the right-wing conspiracy theory of 'cultural Marxism'.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/19/cultural-marxism-a-uniting-theory-for-rightwingers-who-love-to-play-the-victim

The theory of cultural Marxism is also blatantly antisemitic, drawing on the idea of Jews as a fifth column bringing down western civilisation from within, a racist trope that has a longer history than Marxism. Like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, the theory was fabricated to order, for a special purpose: the institution and perpetuation of culture war.

It allows those smarting from a loss of privilege to be offered the shroud of victimhood, by pointing to a shadowy, omnipresent, quasi-foreign elite who are attempting to destroy all that is good in the world. It offers an explanation for the decline of families, small towns, patriarchal authority, and unchallenged white power: a vast, century-long left wing conspiracy. And it distracts from the most important factor in these changes: capitalism, which demands mobility, whose crises have eroded living standards, and which thus, among other things, undermines the viability of conventional family structures and the traditional lifestyles that conservatives approve of.

The story of cultural Marxism is also flexible and can be tailored to fit with the obsessions of a range of right-wing actors. As such, its one example of an idea from the extremes which has been mobilised by more mainstream figures and has dragged politics as a whole a little further right.

Anders Breivik killed young social democrats because he believed that their party was involved in a cultural Marxist plot to undermine traditional European values by means of mass immigration from the Islamic world. Prominent voices in the #Gamergate movement have invoked it to warn of what is really motivating the feminist and queer critics of game aesthetics and culture a desire to purge the culture of proper masculine values.

Not gamergate or TvW related but still a reminder that gaming communities have their problems.

So the super smash bros scene has had a bit of a shake up with this news. Well known tournament operator is outed after years of harassing women, teenage girls and trans women.

Apex has been in the news quite a bit lately thanks to this year’s record-breaking installment and a partnership with Nintendo, but new developments for the Smash scene’s largest tournament are far less positive.
Over the course of the past few days, a number of women have bravely stepped forward with allegations against Apex CEO and co-creator Johnathan “Alex Strife” Lugo, accusing him of repeated harassment that, as of yet, had gone unchallenged on a wide scale. While his abysmal behavior wasn’t limited to female Smashers, as described in accounts from CLASH Tournament’s Mark “Chibo” Korsak, they were frequently the lightning rod that attracted his attention.
Lugo’s lengthy list of offenses, linked above, includes pursuing underage players and regularly outing transgender members of the community, his distressing advances working to make many feel uncomfortable attending events he organized.
These revelations brought quick outcry online, with prominent player Kris “Toph” Aldenderfer saying he wouldn’t be able to commentate at Apex 2015 in good conscience as long as these accusations went unanswered and Wynton “Prog” Smith, a pillar of the competitive Smash scene, going as far to call for Lugo’s resignation.
Fortunately, it appears as if changes are already being made. In a statement released to Smash Boards and Melee It On Me, Apex social media coordinator Will Hsiao has announced that Lugo will be giving up the duties he performs for the tournament series.
At this time, Alex Strife will be stepping down from his duties at Apex. We will be moving forward with Apex 2015.
As it stands Apex 2015 is the largest Smash Brothers tournament ever and the Apex staff hopes to bring you the best experience we can.
In a Reddit post following the initial statements that brought this about, Tristate player Tyrell “NAKAT” Coleman urged the community at large to not conflate Lugo’s actions with Apex as an organization.
“Apex isn’t Alex Strife. Apex is You, I, and the thousands of people who attend and watch the event,” Coleman explained. “I am hoping Apex is put in the hands of someone stable, respectable, and generally well-rounded.”
As of now, no word has been released by Apex regarding new management, but a quick perusal of their staff page will show a number of capable community members who are also involved in running the event. Let’s only hope it will be in their hands moving forward.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/20/apex-organizer-steps-down-in-light-of-recent-harassment-controversy/

Some of the stories coming out about this guy on the smash bros reddit are pretty nasty.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2t1b0e/the_truth_about_apex_tournament_host_alex_strife/

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2t1cq1/the_truth_about_alex_strife_part_2_nyani_edition/

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2t1r1w/its_time_for_me_to_share_my_side_of_the_alex/

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2t3x9c/alex_strife_the_tiger_edition/

I've been having arguments with people over whole thing because people like me are apparently trying to get him labeled as a sex offender and ruin his life. What we actually want is for people to get things of their chest and make sure this guy never does these things to anyone else.

It isn't just the sexual harassment there are also stories of him leaving people out of pocket and then never paying them back or saying sorry, there are stories of how he has been passive aggressively dicking people around and using them and then there is the story where he shoved a group of Japanese smash bros players into the back of a u-haul truck with a pile of CRT televisions (which is pretty dangerous and disrespectful).

Having just bought DoA 5 for the gameplay (honest) and watched in grim fascination as every female character's chest squirmed like something out of Lovecraft, this Guardian editorial resonated with me:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/21/boobs-breasts-physics-video-game

Is there some faction of gaming jelly fetishists who find that sort of weird oscillation sexy?

Having just bought DoA 5 for the gameplay (honest) and watched in grim fascination as every female character's chest squirmed like something out of Lovecraft, this Guardian editorial resonated with me:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/21/boobs-breasts-physics-video-game

Is there some faction of gaming jelly fetishists who find that sort of weird oscillation sexy?

Tell you what - I'm definitely in favour of more helicopter wangs if they come attached to games as good as Mount Your Friends.