Gender Diversity / Politics in games (was Tropes Vs. Women)

Unofficial Who

i think this meme is absolutely great.

you cant debate or reason with these people. the best way to stop all this nonsense might be to just turn the whole thing into a joke.

its a waste of time trying to reply properly, you might as well just slap up one of these pictures as a response and leave it at that.

Yeah, at this stage we've tried engaging with the issues as an actual if confused call for ethics, as a right-wing anti-feminist movement, as a backlash by marginalised nerds, and simply in terms of effective PR. And it keeps coming around to whatever lets a group of people have a go at other people they don't like. So what's left to do but mock the fallen facade?

"I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: "Two vast and trunkless lets of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"Actually it's about ethics in games journalism."

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that collosal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.""

"Dear caller, name one specific instance [of bad ethics in journalism] that GamerGate has revealed."

"Gawker bullying"

"Anita Sarkeesian"

"National Organization of Women directly funds Anita Sarkeesian, an offshoot of Geoge Soros. "

That measured response video is actually quite a good example of 'should we just be laughing at them' because at the end he even says that that he attempts to put together a proper reasoned response rather than just pissing himself and he can't because it's so bloody ridiculous.

Are they still actually getting anywhere near that amount of money? It's almost extra insulting that after that amount of money, they don't even bother trying to make it look even remotely professional. I could make a more authentic looking doc using my phone camera I think. Do you ever see people on Horizon or what have you making their point lying down on a sofa?

Are they still actually getting anywhere near that amount of money? It's almost extra insulting that after that amount of money, they don't even bother trying to make it look even remotely professional. I could make a more authentic looking doc using my phone camera I think. Do you ever see people on Horizon or what have you making their point lying down on a sofa?

Hey, those skulls and belts won't buy themselves.

Hey, those skulls and belts won't buy themselves.

True.

I actually am genuinely intrigued whether that very strange man has actually got three fake skulls or he did move them to the background for different shots as he thought it was cool. I'm not sure what is the worse of those possibilities.

You've got to remember that this is an audience of people who were inconsolable in handling the fact that Anita's series was given £shitloads, with a huge chunk of that being given in response to the initial desperate outcry from complete idiots who have only recently settled on "integrity in video games journalism" as the counter to her obviously ill-gotten gains. That they now have their own (racist libertarian) champion means that they can show who should really get the money: a man with a confused sense of nostalgia and "wisdom", someone like themselves.

It's like that other one from about a week ago by the 'director' where he says at the end, just send me $15,000 and I'll do a series about how much we hate women and we can decide the woman and the reason afterwards.

It's just strange, if I thought for a moment that there was something wrong with the Sarkeesian and I had paid the money to them and that was the end product, presented by some sort of weird younger, balder and creepier version of John Waters, I'd be hugely disappointed that these people were my 'figureheads' and I can't understand how you can even watch those videos and agree.

Although it does seem that I have a brain, which is evidently the difference.

One ridiculous thing is that there is plenty of legitimate criticism that could be made of Sarkeesian's videos, but these guys have shut down any of that discussion with their death threats, lack of comprehension, permarage, sexism, racism and hatred. Great strategy.

tumblr_m5i2v87CSU1rtck5eo1_500.jpg

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate ethics! State of the ethics art! You do NOT wanna journalism with me. Check it out! Hey Based Mom, don't worry. Me and my squad of journalism ethicists will protect you! Check it out! Independently gamed journalism ethics. Vwap! Fry half a Twitter with this journalism. We got ethics in game journalism, about-ethics game journalism, EGJs, we got about game journo ethics! We got about, we got ethics, game journalism...

Having only stumbled into this thread for the first time, to discover its over 200+ pages long is a bit daunting.

However returning to page 1, which I am assume the next 199+ pages are about, I wish Anita Sarkeesian all the best in her work, she seems like a well-rounded individual and knows her stuff.

Watching the 3 minute video on her Kickstarter though was enough to tell me I won't be watching any of her other videos. Her overuse of the "vocal fry" had these old ears struggling to understand certain phrases.

Surely the "vocal fry" in young women is a trope in itself...Who wants to back my Kickstarter research at £1 million then?

Having only stumbled into this thread for the first time, to discover its over 200+ pages long is a bit daunting.

However returning to page 1, which I am assume the next 199+ pages are about, I wish Anita Sarkeesian all the best in her work, she seems like a well-rounded individual and knows her stuff.

Watching the 3 minute video on her Kickstarter though was enough to tell me I won't be watching any of her other videos. Her overuse of the "vocal fry" had these old ears struggling to understand certain phrases.

Surely the "vocal fry" in young women is a trope in itself...Who wants to back my Kickstarter research at £1 million then?

m8

What the hell is vocal fry?

What the hell is vocal fry?

You know how when you say "Yeeeeaaaaaahhhh" really sarcastically, your voice gets croaky at the end? That's vocal fry. There's a meme that it's a horrible new trend corrupting the youth but I think that like "singular they" it's just people noticing a perfectly normal part of human speech for the first time and assuming it's new.