Sign in to follow this  
Harsin

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

It almost looks like that bit in the background reads 'New Operation - Angel Fire DLC'.

Seems like Sam's working for the Government again. I heard that this might be a prequel, but I doubt it.

My first thoughts from this (limited) information is that it appears to be going further down the third-person shooter path started by Conviction and that someone at Ubisoft really loves that augmented reality plastering names in the air effect. The Tom Clancy games are blending together into one homogenous lump.

• Upvote 4

I see they've gotten with the trend and included a bow in that last shot, albeit a mini one.

I've but one request: no forced encounters. If people can play through the game as a third-persona shooter then fine, I don't care, but at no point should I be forced into a firefight.

Seems like Sam's working for the Government again. I heard that this might be a prequel, but I doubt it.

Well, he seems to be looking younger again, so it could be a prequel. Not much evidence of wrinkles around the eyes or anything. Having said that, I do think Ubisoft seem determined to make him look younger anyway, regardless of the time period.

Well, he seems to be looking younger again, so it could be a prequel. Not much evidence of wrinkles around the eyes or anything. Having said that, I do think Ubisoft seem determined to make him look younger anyway, regardless of the time period.

Yeah. I mean, everything about the look of these shots make it look like they could have come from his earlier years (minus perhaps the tech), but Conviction's storyline left clear guidelines for a sequel to follow. The Meggido were mentioned a lot, but never resolved.

I'm too impatient to play a proper stealthy game so it was just right for me.

That's all fine and dandy, but there's already a million action games to cater to your tastes. I mean, you can count the number of recent stealth games on one hand. Does everything have to be an action game? Sadly, it seems so these days.

:blah:

• Upvote 2

I actually quite liked the footage of this. I'll probably get it, though I should say that I've never been a fan of Splinter Cell (I didn't like the first one that much and kinda left it there).

The "well some of these sequels are basically completely different from their previous incarnations" excuse for lack of innovation is such crock - because they're not new different, just "aping another popular series" different.

Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor - not like their prequels != innovation!

I used to love Splinter Cell last gen - I mean properly love it. I even quite liked Double Agent on the 360. Conviction, though, was probably my biggest disappointment this gen. Bland corridor shooting with no subtlety at all.

I guess the series is dead to me now.

• Upvote 1

Yeah it just looked like Conviction all over again, but at least Conviction mostly took place in some interesting locations, whereas this was showing off generic desert military environment number 243. I'll pass, looked like they learnt nothing from the previous game.

Conviction's co-op played like hot sex - especially when teamed up with cats that were on it like a car bonnet.

Good times.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought Conviction had quite a nice subtle look to it, but that's apparently out the window now for a game that looks the same as practically any other.

Yeah yeah desert, cover shooting, slow mo kills etc - I think this looks brilliant. I loved Conviction so I'm happy they're building on it.

That said, I can see how longtime Splinter Cell fans are dismayed - this looks more like Assassins' Creed 3 than any previous Sam Fisher outing.

Ironside's voice is way too old for Fisher anyway, it was starting to get a bit silly during Conviction.

If this is basically Conviction style again, I'm out. Such a crushing disappointment.

I didn't mind Conviction on it's own terms. What I do mind is Ubisoft saying this is a sequel to that game, with the same character, but they've made him 20 years younger with a different voice actor. Why not use a different protaganist if this is how they want to play it? It's just a betrayal of the character and to the fans that have followed his adventures for over a decade.

It's a good thing this looks totally shit anyway. He looks like a power ranger with those silly random lights strapped on. What gameplay purpose do they serve in the middle of the desert?

Garbage

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I actually quite liked the footage of this. I'll probably get it, though I should say that I've never been a fan of Splinter Cell (I didn't like the first one that much and kinda left it there).

You need to play the best in the series, Chaos Theory, get the HD version on PS3.

That's all fine and dandy, but there's already a million action games to cater to your tastes. I mean, you can count the number of recent stealth games on one hand. Does everything have to be an action game? Sadly, it seems so these days.

:blah:

Quoted for truth... I'd really like a proper stealthy game :( I spunked up for the Splinter Cell HD pack on the PS3 (which I never use for gaming) and the fuckers left out the option to invert the controller (although I just goggled it and seems they patched it in Nov last year... yay!).

Spy vs Mercs is back. The first incarnation of which with RLLMUK people still stands out as one of the best game experiences ever.

Which is great for me if they use Pandora Tomorrow as their inspiration rather than the convoluted mess that Spies VS Mercs became in Chaos Theory.