rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Fletch

Healthy Breakfast

Every morning, I take a banana, then cut that into pieces and stick it into my blender with some water and some frozen fruit salad (Tesco's do a good bag - it has melon, grapes, apple and orange slices in; one bag does 3 days).

Really good breakfast I've found. Really refreshing too.

So your breakfast is sugar then. Without any of that annoying fiber getting in the way.

Awesome.

Oooh Blue's gone all IF.

One of my favourite healthy breakfasts is something like 4 scrambled eggs, packet of smoked salmon and a few asparagus.

I have that too on occasion! When I eat "breakfast".

Smoked mackerel is a winner as well. Hell, smoked any sort of oily fish.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Some would say not terribly healthy, though.

Surely you're not trying to suggest that a banana, some citrus fruit and water is bad for you, in the right quantities?

For what you're aiming to achieve, Asura, which is weight loss plain and simple, it's almost the worst choice you could make for breakfast. It doesn't fill you up as much as eating the fruits individually would, so you're effectively mainlining sugar - you've found a convenient way to get lots of it into your body quickly.

Coffee, blueberries and some high fat unflavoured yoghurt instead of a sugar smoothie would be a lot better.

Anyone else suggesting cereals for breakfast in a thread entitled 'healthy breakfast' better have a good think about for whom it is healthy.

I mean, if you are doing a morning workout, high intensity involving a lot of sweating, and you are planning on doing something later too, a banana could be a decent option. But I doubt you are, and I imagine you want your diet to be the main player in your weight loss routine. So make smarter decisions.

That sort of smoothie will also fuck with your teeth over time.

Someone brought a cake in to work today that they had baked and told us is was healthy as cake gets because it was fat free! :hmm:

It's not unreasonable for people to say things like that. The consensus of opinion in the popular media, 90% of diet plans, the NHS, and the various Government advisory bodies is that reducing fat = improving health, carbs are a healthy way to bulk out a meal, and eat as much fruit as you can. If that doesn't change, what most people think won't change.

• Upvote 2

It's not unreasonable for people to say things like that. The consensus of opinion in the popular media, 90% of diet plans, the NHS, and the various Government advisory bodies is that reducing fat = improving health, carbs are a healthy way to bulk out a meal, and eat as much fruit as you can. If that doesn't change, what most people think won't change.

I completely agree. Therein lies the problem. When I try and tell people that low and no fat yoghurts aren't great they look at me like I'm mad and say 'sugar is better than fat'.

In the canteen yesterday I overheard a woman say 'Ah, a shame I can't have some mayo' and the woman behind the counter said 'You can! It's a reduced fat one'. She then covered her food in it.

For what you're aiming to achieve, Asura, which is weight loss plain and simple, it's almost the worst choice you could make for breakfast. It doesn't fill you up as much as eating the fruits individually would, so you're effectively mainlining sugar - you've found a convenient way to get lots of it into your body quickly.

Coffee, blueberries and some high fat unflavoured yoghurt instead of a sugar smoothie would be a lot better.

Anyone else suggesting cereals for breakfast in a thread entitled 'healthy breakfast' better have a good think about for whom it is healthy.

I appreciate I know very little about nutrition, so this is an honest question - surely I should be avoiding stuff with high fat content?

I appreciate I know very little about nutrition, so this is an honest question - surely I should be avoiding stuff with high fat content?

Nah, definitely not. Fat and protein should be making up more of your diet than carbs, as a starting point, especially if you're looking to lose weight (as in, fat weight). Don't confuse "less carbs" with "no carbs" though.

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

Have a read of that article. it's quite old now but it got me thinking about how fat isn't really the enemy. There's a lot of good links and discussion in the nutrition thread in H+F - really recommend a read if you're genuinely interested in why you should not avoid full fat foods.

Carlos Craster hit the nail on the head though - we've been led to believe that fat = bad, so it's not really people's fault for thinking fat is bad (well, it kind of is - people should be responsible for what they put into their own bodies, but that's another discussion altogether!) If you look at a like-for-like product (yoghurt is a good example, have a look next time you're in the shops) of a fat-free and full fat variant, have a look at the sugar content in both - chances are you'll have a lot more sugar in the fat free version because the taste has to come from somewhere....

• Upvote 1

Carlos hit the nail on the head though - we've been led to believe that fat = bad, so it's not really people's fault for thinking fat is bad

:quote:

I had a wonderful breakfast this morning. Sliced chestnut and chantarelle mushrooms, along with diced porcinis, butter fried until soft, creme fraiche and porcini soaking water added along with a dash of worcestershire and hot sauce, then topped with chopped parsley and a poached egg. It was incredible.

You don't get fat by eating fat. You, and everyone else in he western world get fat eating tons of pointless sugar and carbs which your body has no use for and stores as fat.

You don't need to know much about nutrition - just have a think about what is in your food. Look at the nutrition breakdown - it's there on the back of the packet of everything!

You don't get fat by eating fat.

You do if you eat too much of it. Just adding that in, in case someone takes that too literally.

One of my favourite healthy breakfasts is something like 4 scrambled eggs, packet of smoked salmon and a few asparagus.

You absolute beast. It's such a headfuck discovering this stuff about fat and carbs. I've been trying to explain it to my better half but she's American and beyond hope. She has agreed to try out paleo with me and see how it goes; she's skinny but has a big ass and wants to lose it (I wish she wouldn't), and eats low fat/ fat free, carb-high stuff all the time and feels smug about how healthy she's being.

I didn't look properly at the label earlier today and bought 1.5kg of salmon.

Made a huge soup with 2/3ds of it. That will be my healthy breakfast tmoro.

Did you not feel how heavy it was? Or did you buy online?