Floshenbarnical

Cocktails

2 hours ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

The Thief Hotel, Oslo

I've been there for drinks too, great place!

I think they definitely benefit from the fact that the hospitality industry in Norway is well paid, especially compared to the UK.

The average waiter / bartender in Norway earns a pre-tax salary of over £3,000 a month - great compared to over here, where most will probably struggle to hit £1,700 a month pre-tax. It's a pretty depressing existence for hospitality staff here.

Going back a little way, I wholeheartedly disagree on sugar cube being superior to sugar syrup in an old fashioned. I've done many blind taste tests and not known anyone ever be able to call out which one was which. To my mind it's just a bit of extra mythos and showmanship from a the barman.

2 hours ago, Cras said:

Going back a little way, I wholeheartedly disagree on sugar cube being superior to sugar syrup in an old fashioned. I've done many blind taste tests and not known anyone ever be able to call out which one was which. To my mind it's just a bit of extra mythos and showmanship from a the barman.

I agree that there isn't much difference in taste in the final product, as long both are made properly.

I suggested using a sugar cube over sugar syrup because it offers an easy way for someone new to the drink to quickly see whether they've diluted it enough - can you see sugar floating in the drink? If so, stir more!

Also, it's far easier to measure 1 single sugar cube in a drink than an unspecified about of sugar syrup, especially if you aren't familiar with dashes of liquids in drinks etc.

Well, indeed true. But anyone who objects if an Old Fashioned is made for them in a bar with syrup is an arse (and I've seen this on several occasions)

On 1/11/2017 at 18:28, Captain LeChuck said:

Just tried an old fashioned/Rob Roy/whatever with Bells whisky.

Fucking horrid.  It's the bells, it's just a shit whisky. Can see me tipping it down the sink. :(

I didn't tip it down the sink. I'd realised I'd used far too much whisky. I tried a couple of things, such as using Tesco Finest highland whisky instead (which was really nice, because it's one of the better store brand single malts). But when I ran out, I went back to using the Bell's. I like @Isaac's way of using kitchen towel over the glass to soak the suger cube in bitters. But because of the poor taste of the Bell's whisky, I found adding a few more dashes of bitters to the glass made the world of difference. 

Also, I don't like adding ice until the end. So I drop the bitters-soaked sugar cube in the glass, add a few more dashes of bitters, then a bit of water, muddle and stir, than add the whisky and stir some more.  Then I leave it for a bit, usually to peel some orange, allowing the remaining sugar to naturally dissolve into the cocktail.  Stir some more, add the orange, add the ice, and let it sit for the drink to chill. Then enjoy.

Even with the shitty Bell's it's really nice. Making it is also a nice ritual. :)

• Upvote 1

I was in Copenhagen last weekend and had drinks at Atze Peng & Kester Thomas. I'd recommend both, but particularly Atze Peng, where all the ice is made on site in huge clear blocks and hand cut for each individual drink.

16583354_1861466594076650_38032070268053

• Upvote 1

home made clear ice is a rabbit hole you don't want to disappear down, I did a few years back and you end up with freezing moulds sat in insulated vessels with triple boiled water.

I now buy bags of lovely clear ice from Ocado, lot less faff.

so whilst having a large Pimms session last weekend I came up with the idea to buy some large ice cube trays, but fill them with nicely chopped pimms fruit mix (apples, orange, lemon, strawbs) then freeze them - in theory this should then give me ready made cubes of fruit on demand with no prep needed, with added bonus will chill the drink.

I think this could be my Dragons Den idea (though not sure I can copyright it) and if the product existed in the supermarket ready made I'd buy it.

the idea is happening - first experiment is to see how the fruit freezes together without any extra liquid - if its hard to remove a splash of tonic or lemonade should sort it out

Screenshot_14_04_2017__10_56.thumb.jpg.9e9e4410c83d933774d593e13d7f983a.jpg

8 hours ago, Ravern said:

Well?!?! 

They were amazing !

Utterly perfect, meant you need less ice but drink still gets chilled nicely (but less diluted) and little bits of fruit broke off quickly as your drink melted them.

They froze into proper cubes without any extra liquid being added and came out the tray nicely - well worth taking the effort to remove all the rind and pips so whole thing was edible.

10/10 and my best idea ever

Looking for somewhere for next week in London to take the Mrs. 

Criteria, in order of importance, are:

1. Serves good bitter strong cocktails either on or off menu

2. Knowledgeable bartenders

3. Not crazy expensive. Around £15 is fine. Savoy prices are not. 

4. Touching distance of Victoria - 10 mins journey is fine 

Any recommendations? Zedel and St Pancras Renaissance are on the potential list already to give a general idea of the level I'm looking at. 

The Nova development just off from Victoria station is now pretty much open and has lots of places along with some outdoor seating.  Could be worth a look.  Not sure any are cocktail specific places but plenty of places around there have them as part of their offering.

I have been to the Rail House Cafe which is nice and this is the menu: http://railhouse.cafe/menu/

Good beer list too. That whole development is worth a wander through anyway since it is a minute from Victoria station and lots of nice places in the development. 

I do love the Gilbert Scott at the renaissance but they are generally more fruity and floral cocktails - the bartenders can make most things though and are very well trained. 

Merchant house has a fantastic selection of spirits and they will add a pour of the main spirit alongside every cocktail, it's a fantastic experience to sit up at the bar and chat to the bartender. 

If it's acceptable distance then The Gibson is hands down my favourite bar in London, the menu is extensive but very well executed, staff are great and its a different experience to most bars, there is a strong emphasis on garnish and presentation, but also a huge amount of complexity and multi ingredient drinks. 

I also think anything in the Tony C family would fit the bill, Termini, Zetter townhouse or 69 Colebrooke Row. Complete opposite of the gibson, it's all simplicity and layers of flavour, very few ingredients. 

If you want to spec something off menu, ask for an "end of the road" - equal parts Campari, chartreuse and Laphroaig. It's incredibly bitter, and well, horrible, but I love it. 

• Upvote 1

Just trying this summers trendy drink - white port and tonic (according to several papers recently)

Ocado had a special on Taylor's white port and it was only £12.

Neat it tasted like battery acid but is lovely with a tonic and lots of ice - tried Schweppes and Fever Tree mediterranean, both nice but the Schweppes better for me. I always think the Fever Tree stuff is overrated and too dominant in a drink, whereas the schweppes just adds to the spirit. 

• Upvote 2

Just had a fantastic drink. 

20cl chartreuse

20cl campari

Dash of elixir vegetal 

Top with tonic 

It's a spritz, so don't skimp on the tonic. 

On 16/07/2017 at 16:48, Gotters said:

Just trying this summers trendy drink - white port and tonic (according to several papers recently)

Why would you ruin white port with tonic?! If you enjoy white port and are feeling like a treat, splash out on a nice bottle of Amontillado or Palo Cortado sherry. I'd recommend the Harveys VORS. Quite possibly the most multi-layered and tantalising drink I have ever put in my mouth. Not a fan of Fino though. Ugh. There's a whole world of sherry cocktails out there too.

Why add Tonic, firstly it tasted like shite on its own, and apparently that is a Portuguese thing to do with white port, its not a British bastardisation of it.

On 16/07/2017 at 16:48, Gotters said:

Neat it tasted like battery acid

Just invented the Szechuan Martini

2 shots gin

1/2 sweet vermouth

1/2 dry vermouth

tablespoon crushed szechuan peppercorns

Stir with ice and double strain. Garnish with twist.

Let me know when they're all drinking it in Shoreditch.

On 11/11/2017 at 22:17, Ravern said:

Just invented the Szechuan Martini

2 shots gin

1/2 sweet vermouth

1/2 dry vermouth

tablespoon crushed szechuan peppercorns

Stir with ice and double strain. Garnish with twist.

Let me know when they're all drinking it in Shoreditch.

That sounds pretty good! If you soak the Szechuan peppers in vodka, you basically make Electric Bitters, which would probably be better to add to your martini.

The Gibson (Old St) has a cocktail called the Electric Earl, which uses electric bitters and a szechuan flower garnish, it's really good.